It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:39 am

Thinking of buying an NS, need some advice 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Thinking of buying an NS, need some advice
I owned an NS Stick for a few years and used it exclusively as an extended range bass guitar with two had tapping capabilities in a very busy gigging rock band. I sold it when I quit gigging because i still had my 12 string Graphite Grand Stick. (And still do) Now that i'm back into gigging i'm sorry i sold my NS Stick. I'm actually going to try a new tuning on my Graphite Grand 12 string that incorporates SB8 tuning with inverted 5ths ... I'm calling it an "SB12!" (I just ordered the strings tonight, i'll write a review after i have the Stick set up. the name SB12 is unofficial but it's my tuning so i'll call it what i want! 8-) ) The NS Stick is a perfect marrage of guitar/bass and Stick. The standard 4ths tuning makes it play like an extended range bass. That said it can be set up with almost every tuning you can think off however as pointed out the anchor block on the thin strings are too small for very large strings. I THINK these can possibly be changed out if needed, if not by you by SE. Strictly as a tapping only instrument you are better off with a Stick or SB8 because the ergonomics are somply better with a Stick than an NS Stick for tapping. If you want to also use it like a bass guitar you can't go wrong with an NS Stick.

Others have already answered your questions about MINI, neck materials and so on. What you need to decide is how you intend to approach the instrument. Do you want to be a one man band and two hand tap all the time? If so buy a Stick or SB8. Do you want to use it as a bass or guitar as well as two hand tap? Get an NS Stick. Half fretless? Unless you're already into playing fretless bass I'd suggest you go fully fretted. Remember you'll be doing two things at once when you two hand tap. That's hard all by itself. Do you really want to throw in the difficulty playing in tune with a half fretless instrument?

ANYWHO ... I hope this gives food for thought.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Feb 16, 2011 10:53 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

SE can do any arrangement of strings. My NS is in fourths mirrored around low B.

8) G
7) D
6) A
5) E
4) B (bass low B)
3) E
2) A
1) D

5 and 3 are approximately the same gauge, as are 6 and 2, and 7 and 1.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Last edited by mad_monk on Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Monk, do you have a custom bridge? How do you get bass strings into the melody string retainer blocks?

Thu Feb 17, 2011 2:18 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

The only "custom" work was that one block was routed to accept the larger string, plus two of the posts were replaced with bigger ones to make the spacing more regular. I don't know if it's something SE would recommend you do yourself, but it's not a big deal.
I put a photo in the gallery.

Mad Monk.

August, 1983

Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery