It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:39 am

need some advice, please! 

Post need some advice, please!
Hi there
I'm new here, I'm a guitarist and have never played a stick. I've just discovered this forum and it seems to be very warm and friendly.

I was firstly interested on the stick many years ago when I saw it on the hands of Tony Levin with king crimson, and since then, I've discovered many stick players and the idea of acquiring a stick has been always in my head, only dissuaded by the difficulties of ordering from Spain, shipping time, etc.
A few days ago, I had the opportunity of trying a NS at a local store, which has it on second hand... it was awesome, but... :? I don't know what to do.

The fact that I can get it Immediately is very persuasive, but I don't like the idea of acquiring a NS instead a traditional stick only because it's easier for me at this moment.
I like to research and explore new sound possibilities, I'm not inclined to the traditional ways of music, and I would like to have an alternative to the lack of a real bass in my music, so the NS seems to match my needs, but it seems to be more limited as the 10 and 12 strings sticks.
I would like to know which are te advantages of a NS over its predecessors.

I would thank very much any advise that could get me out of this dilemma

cheers

Last edited by god's monkey on Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:05 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: need some advise, please!
Greetings,

A tough choice of course

The NS is really really SICK. Glad you could try it, hope it was setup with super low action tho. Great pickups and tonal options. Its pretty much instant fun. As you probably know all guitar/bass techniques work well. Took me a while to get the slappin down but now its great. But even if you it use for mainly tapping it still rules. I think Jibilian taps on it like 90% or more so thats a valid route too. It just has a nice feel and the fretboard is quite comfy, not as wide as I would have thought. How did it feel for you? I like it for walking basslines with jazz chords in the right hand. And also for primus style crazyness.

If you want a totally blank slate or fresh approach then a 10 stringer is my choice.
Try one of the 5ths bass, 4ths melody tunings and give it a little more practice time than the NS as it "may" feel a bit weirder at first. But then it becomes totally natural.

Anyhow, I enjoy playing the 10 string the most. It has a special sensation and I just like to play it more often. The vertical position is really nice. The tuning (baritone melody) is very cool and great for solo playing.

Good luck in your musical search.

Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:30 pm

Post Re: need some advise, please!
Thank a lot for your answer
The NS felt really fantastic, I didn't realize whether the action was setup low or high, I guess I was too exited to focus on such details, but it felt very sensitive to the fingers.

I'm still a bit confused :?: I guess the real advantage of the NS over the standart is that you can apply picking, plucking, strumming, in adition to tapping, what makes it a very versatile instrument, but I wonder why couldn't these skills be applied to a standart stick, it's because the vertical position? its because the string spacing at the bridge?...
hummm, too many doubts in my head...

PD: you said "The NS is really really SICK", what did you mean?... I apologize my bad einglish :oops:

Cheers

Mon Dec 20, 2010 9:51 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: need some advice, please!
You can sorta pluck on a regular Stick, its just kinda hard because of close string spacing I think. And the vertical nature means you have to twist your right hand a bit. I can play the bass strings pretty well but no blazing jaco speed fingerstyle. More dub style, simple bass lines. And you can do some limited guitar techniques as well but you will really have to have a light touch and practice alot I'd guess. If you really wanted to keep your guitar techniques I'd say its a bit of an uphill battle on a regular Stick.

As you could tell, every technique works well on NS. So it is a tough choice unless you are really set on using picks, plucks, strums ect.
Oh, and "sick" means really cool or amazing.

P.s you look like Steve Vai in your avatar.

Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:49 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Hola ! In Spain there is Guillermo Cides and his StickCenter ==> http://www.stickcenter.com/ where, I think, you can try all different models.
If I'm right, he lives in Tarragona, Cataluña.

#5162 10-string Maple Stick
#5743 Tinted Salmon Light Bamboo Grand Stick

AFSTG (Association Française du Stick et de la Tape Guitare)

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:37 am

thanks Yanlep and oceans
Oceans wrote:
As you could tell, every technique works well on NS. So it is a tough choice unless you are really set on using picks, plucks, strums ect.

I think the NS is growing my choice, I think i wont regret the purchase as I'm feel inclined to versatile and rare instruments

Oceans wrote:
Oh, and "sick" means really cool or amazing.

Thanks for the little english lesson ;)

Oceans wrote:
P.s you look like Steve Vai in your avatar.

Unfortunately, thats maybe the only thing that I've got in common with him :D
Yanlep wrote:
Hola ! In Spain there is Guillermo Cides and his StickCenter ==> http://www.stickcenter.com/ where, I think, you can try all different models.
If I'm right, he lives in Tarragona, Cataluña.

I don't really know whether is there a real place where the stick center is established, as far as I can tell from the website, they celebrate something called "stick camps" where different players meet to play. Thanks, I'll keep researching

Cheers

Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:56 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ahh I remember having a similar quandary when I first started out on Stick. I thought that since I was a bassist playing the NS would be easier but having thought about it a lot going for a regular Stick would be the way to go because I had it up to here with bass. For me it was the right choice, and I found that when I sat down and learned the Stick, once technique started to form, all my ideas and concepts of bass came into the picture, it just took longer to get to where I am now as oppose to going with a NS Stick which would have been quicker to pickup. This was confirmed when I tried Steve's NS at the 2008 Midwest seminar, it felt like a huge bass guitar to me. I want to point it out that this worked for me, but it may not be the case for you, if theirs one thing I've learned playing the Stick, everybody is different and has their own unique and beautiful path to music, and this is just how mine is unfolding! My guess would be if you could try both and see for yourself!

Good luck and I hope it this helps!

10 String BM Tarara Stick #5334
Bergen Norway

Thu Dec 23, 2010 1:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks to all
I've finally dropped to the NS option, i'll open a new topic

Cheers

Thu Dec 23, 2010 10:55 am