It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:52 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Crafty tuning 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Crafty tuning
The little Trey has said about this is that he (and Robert) did not want to play "blues" inflected fingerings that the 4ths tunings give… Having a 5ths tuning forces you outside the box. And Greg is right, it is a "two handed"tuning, although you can do some very cool interlocking lines using both sides. The straight across 5th's tuning "unlocked" the Stick for me…. that being said, I wanted to play chords as well… also my interest in playing World/jazzfusion style music, really prompted me to go to MR and Classic, which I love….

Tue Apr 15, 2014 6:05 pm

Thanks. That explains the 5th's of the lowest 6 strings but not the minor 3rd and 2nd of the highest strings. The minor 3rd is copied from the Crafty tuning but the 2nd of the highest string seems very strange and impractical. There must be another reason or strange logic besides string tension for that.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:51 am

Ravi wrote:
Thanks. That explains the 5th's of the lowest 6 strings but not the minor 3rd and 2nd of the highest strings. The minor 3rd is copied from the Crafty tuning but the 2nd of the highest string seems very strange and impractical. There must be another reason or strange logic besides string tension for that.

One possible benefit might be easy three note chords on the top three strings. If you play the 12th, 13th and 14th frets on the A, C, and D strings (12 on A, 13 on C, 14 on D) you end up playing an easy to finger major chord. With one or two finger adjustments you could hit some easy diminished and minor chords.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:27 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Cirkusfreak wrote:
Ravi wrote:

One possible benefit might be easy three note chords on the top three strings. If you play the 12th, 13th and 14th frets on the A, C, and D strings (12 on A, 13 on C, 14 on D) you end up playing an easy to finger major chord. With one or two finger adjustments you could hit some easy diminished and minor chords.

D is pretty much the limit on a 34" scale instrument. Bb is pretty much the practical low for a tapped string.

If you want 5ths overall, you can only fit 6 string in 5ths on that scale length, the 7th 5th doesn't fit (too much tension, an E will break), but a 4th (D) will. So you have two more strings to add to create that 4th.

Since the "crafty" tuning already has that minor 3rd on top, adding 2nd to it works.

Wed Apr 16, 2014 9:39 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

I use crafty tuning on my NS/Stick (Bb - F - C - G - D - A - C - D), and I love it. I've recently started practicing again in earnest, and this tuning really forces me to think in completely new ways and shapes. I've played quite a bit of punk rock in my day, so finding a tuning that forces me "away from the dots" is really incredible.

That said, I never use the low Bb or F strings. Sometimes I wish there were tapping instruments made by the good Stick people with fewer strings, haha!

~Nick "Klaus" G.

Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:16 am

Hey Klaus!

What string gauges do you use?

Thanks!

Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:38 pm

Unfortunately, no one from Stick Enterprises has ever told me the actual string gauges!!! It's kind of a point of frustration for me, especially because I love this tuning so much and want to procure some spare strings...

...all things considered, I think the Bb string is a bit clumsy, but the others feel really nice. I'm definitely a "mid-range" bassist (the A and D strings on my bass guitar are my best friends), and, likewise, I feel most comfortable using the middle strings with this tuning. These strings feel the best, and they sound is amazing.

On another note: I'm currently working on putting together some moveable fingering diagrams for four note chords. I'd be happy to share once they are complete!

Best,
Nick "Klaus" G.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:30 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

k.graz wrote:
Unfortunately, no one from Stick Enterprises has ever told me the actual string gauges!!! It's kind of a point of frustration for me, especially because I love this tuning so much and want to procure some spare strings...

...all things considered, I think the Bb string is a bit clumsy, but the others feel really nice. I'm definitely a "mid-range" bassist (the A and D strings on my bass guitar are my best friends), and, likewise, I feel most comfortable using the middle strings with this tuning. These strings feel the best, and they sound is amazing.

On another note: I'm currently working on putting together some moveable fingering diagrams for four note chords. I'd be happy to share once they are complete!

Best,
Nick "Klaus" G.

If you're into finding out, you could easily pick up a pair of digital calipers for 10 bucks and see for yourself.

Fri Apr 25, 2014 8:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

rclere wrote:
The little Trey has said about this is that he (and Robert) did not want to play "blues" inflected fingerings that the 4ths tunings give… Having a 5ths tuning forces you outside the box.

Well ... Trey wasn't really involved in the development of the tuning at all. It was purely Fripp (no doubt influenced by cellists everywhere) looking for more range and chord voicings. This was the tuning he taught when he started Guitar Craft which was where Trey was introduced to it.

I do remember Fripp giving the "force you outside the box" argument which I never bought entirely. I mean ... I'm sure it does accomplish that but only for a short period of time. Once it becomes ingrained as your new tuning, then it really just replaces the box with another box.

With that said, I love the sound of it on the guitar but only as an added tuning to the arsenal of other tunings that I like just as much (slack keys, dadgad, etc).

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

They're probably heavier than the stick string guages but the warr guages are given on the site for crafty tunings as 128-.085-.065-.035-.016-.012-.010-.009.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:38 am
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 50 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next