It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:28 am

Crafty tuning 

Post Crafty tuning
Would it be possible to order an NS/Stick with Crafty tuning a la an 8-string Warr? I have seen a thread around here talking about an E to Eb NS tuned in 4ths, with the logistical issues the high string would present. It would definitely be easier to learn on such an instrument, but the Crafty tuning has always intrigued me due to its range and idiosyncratic relationships among the higher strings. The Crafty tuning is:

Bb F C G D A C D

With string gauges (from Warr Guitars):

.128-.085-.065-.035-.016-.012-.010-.009

Thoughts?

Fri Dec 31, 2010 8:24 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Crafty tuning
My guess is yes. (without trying to retune mine)

The "easier to learn" is a subjective point of view which you are certainly welcome to have.

To me uniform 4ths is dead simple, tapping-crossed, especially coming from Bass.
If you are coming from Guitar, and used to crafty tuning, then that is a different story.
My opinion anyway.

The only way to know for sure is to call SE and ask, I'm sure Emmett will know off the top of his head.

Lee

Fri Dec 31, 2010 9:58 am

Well, I'm actually in the process of ordering one shortly, so I'll be sure to bring it up.

I have a guitar tuned in Crafty (aka "C Pentatonic": CGDAEG), and it has opened a lot of compositional doors for me. I can see the logic behind the high minor 3rd beyond not breaking strings... close intervals sound sweet in the higher register, but can be muddy in the lower range, which is where wide intervals sound best. It would be interesting to see how having a high major 2nd interval affects the space of harmonic possibilities on the NS.

Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:35 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hmmm, I'd like to try all 5ths on the NS. I wonder if the range is too great or if strings would break? Is there any way to try it with the normal string gauges, probably not I think. What would the lowest bass string pitch be? And the highest? Gets me thinking...

Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:35 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Oceans wrote:
Hmmm, I'd like to try all 5ths on the NS. I wonder if the range is too great or if strings would break? Is there any way to try it with the normal string gauges, probably not I think. What would the lowest bass string pitch be? And the highest? Gets me thinking...

I think Trey Gunn had an 8 string tuned in fifths,might find info on his site or the Warr site.

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:49 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

It's in the OP. The lowest string is pitched to Bb, a half-step lower than normal. I have contacted SE about this and will let you all know when I hear anything! :mrgreen:

Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:39 am

Reply from Emmett: he says this tuning is indeed possible on the NS. I am in the process of placing the order, and when I do it'll be the first and only NS/Stick with that tuning!

Thu Jan 06, 2011 1:50 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Very cool!

Let us know when you get it.

Lee

Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:40 pm

Actually, I was just talked out of the tuning by Emmett's advice. It's true, the range goes lower and higher than the ordinary 4ths tuning, but the high intervals aren't too useful for melody playing and only useful in a limited sense for chord work. So, as there is more than one way to acheive the range I'm looking for, I suggested a "bass 5ths, guitar melody" tuning, which is BbFCGCFAD. Lowest 4 strings are a fifth apart, highest 4 are a 4th apart except for the major 3rd between the F and A. Another way to look at it is the top 6 strings are like a Drop D"guitar tuned down a further step to Drop C, with another octave+ below on the bass strings. The symmetry around the central G is interesting as well. What should I call this tuning, I wonder?

Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:24 pm

How about Crumbled tuning or Crumbly tuning?

Fri Jan 21, 2011 11:55 am