It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:58 am

I need flat wounds! 
Contributor
Contributor

Post I need flat wounds!
Where would I get a hold of some flats to put on a ns stick? Or at the very least ground wounds. I love the feel and sound of flats and think it would greatly compliment the instrument!
I read thru this thread... viewtopic.php?f=2&t=10191
... And it seemed to lead nowhere. I thought about trying some light guage/short scale/ 6 string bass strings but I don't think they'd be up to the task, I know stick string have a special core metal or something. Any thoughts fellas?

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:07 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: I need flat wounds!
Hi
Was about about to mention Newtone in the UK, but I see that came up in the other thread you linked to.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Looking at a photo of a NS Stick, it seems the larger tuning claws might accept guitar size ferrules. So flatwound guitar strings may be long enough to use for the higher wound strings. They will be more flexible than bass flatwounds so more suitable for a tapping instrument. The largest strings could then be bass flatwounds.

Guitar and bass flatwounds from the same brand might be good for consistency, such as guitar and bass 'Chromes' from D'Addario, which i have mixed on fretless bass.

Maybe you could use the .075 and .100, or .118 and .100, from LaBella's 'Low tension flats' sets for E and B? They have round cores for flexibility.
Flatwounds are inherently stiff which works against the tapping technique, so i suggest using low tensions for smaller gauges and more flexibility.

Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:03 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I'm glad all I do is call Cambria and say, "I need strings."

Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

DQ2U951 wrote:
Where would I get a hold of some flats to put on a ns stick?

When you need to look outside of SN there are several web shops for strings, where you can specify the set you need string for string. When doing this I often have to go with a set that combines strings from different manufacturers. Initially, I thought this would be bad, but when playing along with the approach I found that it adds some musical fun for me to get little different tones out of different strings.

I just want to put in a warning for Cleartone Strings, if you are in a hurry, as I paid and ordered from them on September 4 2019 and have not yet received the strings. Their web store lets you specify exactly the thickness you need, rather than presenting you a lot of alternatives to pick from. Maybe this is what is delaying my order?

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

ixlramp wrote:
Looking at a photo of a NS Stick, it seems the larger tuning claws might accept guitar size ferrules. So flatwound guitar strings may be long enough to use for the higher wound strings. They will be more flexible than bass flatwounds so more suitable for a tapping instrument. The largest strings could then be bass flatwounds.

Guitar and bass flatwounds from the same brand might be good for consistency, such as guitar and bass 'Chromes' from D'Addario, which i have mixed on fretless bass.

Maybe you could use the .075 and .100, or .118 and .100, from LaBella's 'Low tension flats' sets for E and B? They have round cores for flexibility.
Flatwounds are inherently stiff which works against the tapping technique, so i suggest using low tensions for smaller gauges and more flexibility.

I'm on board with this idea, however Idk what the string guages are. I tried putting some #s together from the original guages listed in freehands but because the NS is in straight fourths it's different and a bad reference point. I'll have to get a micrometer, and after that I'll have to somehow find a source for custom flats. I found this guy on Google: http://www.garrygoodman.com/octave4plus.com.html
About to send him an email

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:03 am
Contributor
Contributor

Gauges are stated here https://www.nsstickist.com/chapmanletter.htm

Some brands offer flatwounds as single strings in a finely-stepped choice of gauges, so O4P is probably not necessary. O4P are fully custom and expensive.
The NS Stick gauges are very different from bass guitar string set gauges so i retract my suggestion of LaBellas. Also i doubt they offer flexible flats as singles in a finely-stepped choice of gauges.

Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:54 am

Per Boysen wrote:
I just want to put in a warning for Cleartone Strings, if you are in a hurry, as I paid and ordered from them on September 4 2019 and have not yet received the strings.

I ordered some strings for my railboard around then and got them 2 weeks later (also a custom order). Did you contact them about it, normally they are good with replies, but that seems excessive.

Was just looking to get some NS stick strings soon as I have just got a new NS Stick incoming.

Tue Feb 11, 2020 2:04 am
Contributor
Contributor

I never heard back from the guy, his loss though, I'm ready to drop some money on this

Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:59 am