It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:45 am

stick strings on regular bass 

Post stick strings on regular bass
I have a 6 string bass that I used to tap on before I was able to get a real chapman. I really enjoy playing the stick and find the light gauge strings I have on it are perfect.

I am considering trying some experimental tuning and strings on my 6 string bass now that I have joined a new band, and am NOT playing bass for them.
I was considering using chapman stick NS strings for my 6 string bass giving me a better advantage to tapping, and tuning it to a guitar. I think that it may add just enough highs to allow the bassist to freely play and not get jumbled up with his low notes. So as to not have 2 bass players but a bassist, and me playing something like a baritone style guitar based off of the body of a 6 string bass with the ability to also tap efficiently, as well as the strumming, plucking etc..

I suppose it may be something like a cheaper home-made version of a 6 string NS, Warr guitar, or bass stick? With discarding maybe the lowest and highest string to be more like a Baritone bass or a tenor bass or baritone guitar on a bass body? Any suggestions on what strings, gauges, etc... to buy in order to make this possible?

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:08 pm

Post Re: stick strings on regular bass
Are you going to play it only by tapping? Do you want inverted fifths on the bass side? I had considered getting either an 8-string guitar or a 6-string bass to experiment with this same concept before I got my Stick.

I thought that I could use a damper that went OVER the strings that I could slide around, similar to the "scrunchie" type dampers that some bass players use. If you can get the neck straight and the action low enough I don't see why you couldn't tap and pluck / strum on your bass.

My plan was to use interior DBR on an eight-string guitar. Rondo Music sells a long scale 30" 8-string guitar that would be a pretty decent choice for experimentation, but I was also considering a left-handed 6-string bass to use in a Warr style. I've noticed that the Warrs have the controls on the "wrong" side like a lefty guitar, so I thought it might work.

There's no reason you can't use Stick strings on something else if you want to. The labels say they're made by D'Addario, and they're great because the smaller diameter strings are long enough to use on a 34" or 36" scale instrument. Regular guitar strings MIGHT reach to the 1st, 2nd, 9th, or 10th string but you'll never get them on the 5th string...

It sounds like a fun experiment! Good luck!

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:21 pm

Hey thanks a lot man. I want to the have ability to tap, pluck strum etc... on my 6 string bass. I would tune it to a standard tuning and it would act more as a baritone guitar but with a 6 string bass body. I want to be like a middle man from the guitar player and the bass player.
Therefore I dont want my guitar to sound just like a regular guitar and I dont want it to sound to much like a bass either. Just a happy middle.

Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:50 pm
Contributor
Contributor

How come you don't play the Stick in the new band ?

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Sat Jan 01, 2011 10:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I am playing stick and synth for the new band (so excited). But since I am no longer using my 6 string bass as much anymore I wanted to try experimenting with tap strings for it....just for fun. I thought it might be cool to have like a baritone bass tap guitar made from my 6 string bass.
Of course nothing is as good as the chapman stick instrument when it comes to really getting down on tapping, but my modified bass would only be for the sake of invention and fun.

Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:29 pm