It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:59 pm

What kind of wait can I expect when I order a basic NS/Stick 

Post What kind of wait can I expect when I order a basic NS/Stick
I'm pretty sure I'm going to enter the world of tapping instruments via the NS/Stick. At least this way my Steinbergers will just think it's some mutant cousin coming to live with us. :?

There's a used one locally, but the price isn't far from a new one and I'm thinking if the wait isn't very long, it might be worth a few dollars to just get the exact one I want. Also, what's a decent price to expect to pay for a used one? Is the new bamboo neck/fret option better than what they were using in instruments before?

Thanks,

Mark

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:07 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: What kind of wait can I expect when I order a basic NS/S
there are a couple listed in the reserve production section of the SE website. Not sure if it is what you a looking for, but it's worth a look....

Red Railboard Classic

Host of Beyond the Playlist with JHammondC

Sat Jul 16, 2011 6:40 pm

JHammondC wrote:
there are a couple listed in the reserve production section of the SE website. Not sure if it is what you a looking for, but it's worth a look....

Thank you, that's exactly what I was looking for. That site... could use a once over by an information architect... and a web designer while they're at it.

It looks like they actually have both models I'm considering in stock. Now I just have to dig deep inside and figure out of the 8 String NS/Stick or a 10 String Chapman. :help:

Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:10 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

You will probably be able to get going faster on the NS, but the inverted 5ths on the bass side of a Stick open up a new world of harmonic possibilities. :D

http://www.alliedmusicinstructors.com/Jeff.html

Sun Jul 17, 2011 5:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Depends if you want something that you can perform traditional guitar/bass techniques on or just strictly tapping. THe NS let's you explore all options. It is setup like an 8 string bass with super low action and a stereo output. It's a safe starting point for tapstyle play. It is difficult to play traditional repertoire for guitar and bass music on the STICK although you will certainly find many examples of people adapting for it. Just get both :D

Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:26 am

jeffcomas wrote:
You will probably be able to get going faster on the NS, but the inverted 5ths on the bass side of a Stick open up a new world of harmonic possibilities. :D

Stick138 wrote:
Depends if you want something that you can perform traditional guitar/bass techniques on or just strictly tapping. THe NS let's you explore all options. It is setup like an 8 string bass with super low action and a stereo output. It's a safe starting point for tapstyle play. It is difficult to play traditional repertoire for guitar and bass music on the STICK although you will certainly find many examples of people adapting for it. Just get both

I know I know! :?

Part of me feels like the NS/Stick route is akin to me pulling a Linus holding a headstockless Steinblanket.

Another part of me says, "So what? Your music time is limited so why not stick to something that's more familiar rather than something you'll have to invest a lot of extra time in."

Then there's the part that says, "You don't play traditional guitar music as it is, so why not add something that really forces you into new flavors."

Of course, the part that says, "GET BOTH!" is fighting with the part of me that says, "Don't make your wife leave you!" ;) That's not entirely true, but my wife is often a good devil's (angel?) advocate on things like this asking hard questions like, "Will you really get $2k's worth of use out of it?" Hell, I didn't even pay that for my main guitar... I think I got it used for $1300 back in the early 90s.

So at this point (though it may change though out the day) I think the NS would be the way to go considering a good resale value can be had if I decide to move into true Sticklandia. It's not like II'd be stuck with either, but I do want to dig into something for a good long time.

Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:36 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Zero, trust me, as one bassist who's "made the switch..."

There's really nothing to getting started with the NS. It's simply a stellar instrument. Heck, it would be a stellar *bass* if you never even played higher than the G string, but it really is so much more. You can use your bass technique with the instrument *now* (O.K. you may have to adopt a lighter touch). Tapping and the right hand will come over time.

I've been playing mine a few months short of a year, now, and have been having an utter blast!

Join us...don't be afraid! :twisted:

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

zaubertuba wrote:
Zero, trust me, as one bassist who's "made the switch..."

There's really nothing to getting started with the NS. It's simply a stellar instrument. Heck, it would be a stellar *bass* if you never even played higher than the G string, but it really is so much more. You can use your bass technique with the instrument *now* (O.K. you may have to adopt a lighter touch). Tapping and the right hand will come over time.

I've been playing mine a few months short of a year, now, and have been having an utter blast!

Join us...don't be afraid! :twisted:

You're right. I'm in. This weekend my music got derailed by a graphic design crisis (there are way more of them than you'd think) and it made me think that at this point of my life when there are lots of entities in line for my time, something that's less of an adjustment will be the perfect thing for a starter, and maybe later I'll switch to a full blown stick or add one. Thanks for the help!

Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:02 am