It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 1:48 pm

Album Tracks almost done...WHEW Couple of NS questions? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Album Tracks almost done...WHEW Couple of NS questions?
Wow...

All the major song track lines have been completed. I have a couple of corrections that have been sent back my way to fix, and the trade off solo section in "Needham's Point" and that will be done.

The last thing that is eating my attention now is the bass feature (or NS/STICK really). I have chosen to do Czardas with Prog Ensemble accompniment. Still practicing that to get it up to speed...close though...maybe later this week. It is marked at Allegro Vivo so I'm thinking 150-160 Bpm. What do you guys think? Fast enough?

I'm proud to say that I have done this entire album with my two NS/STICKS. I've been wondering about the credits in the album jacket though. Should I list myself like this:

Michael "Dr. Froth" Millsap: NS/STICK

or

Michael "Dr. Froth" Millsap: NS/STICK (extended range bass)

For us, it's a no brainer, but there are a ton of people that will not know what the hell a NS/STICK is. I thought by adding the quick expanation, they would realise that the bass sounds they are hearing on the recording are in fact, an NS/STICK.

Is this retarded? Am I worrying about nothing? Does this offend other stick players? Two-hand tapping only incorporates about 30% of what I do and the rest if the time I do play my NS as an extended range bass (I use all 8 strings all the time in my regular lines as well).

Those of you that have had albums released on a label world wide, how did you handle it? Those of you that have not, but would like to...how WOULD you handle it.

Yes, I know there should be a trademark symbol by the NS/STICK, but I don't know how to type that. It will be as SE requested in their material that came with the instrument in the booklet proper.

Thanks for your feedback guys,

Dr. Froth

Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:02 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Album Tracks almost done...WHEW Couple of NS questions?
Dr. Froth,
:? People are strange, so your right most folks won't know what the NS is. The "strange" part
to musicians like us :| is that they don't really care. Not in a bad way; people are just busy
doing what they do and want the music to give some alternative and unexpected feelings to there lives. So I would say a picture would give more credence and then some explanation.
As far as how to say 'who you are? Also no one cares except you grandmother that you are
"Michael" because there are lots of "michael's" but to my knowledge there is only one
Dr. Froth. That says it all.
Looking forward to hearing the album. One question; is everything, all sounds on
the album generated by the NS?
Also, I am sure there are other ways to do the trademark copyright signs but like you said
'how do you type it? I have used Photo Shop and typed in a letter "O" and then go to
"image size" and make the "O" bigger then put a capital "T" inside the "O". Shrink the
whole thing down to the size you want, cut and past it into your project :roll: It is as simple and as stupid as it sounds but it will work.
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:31 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Unfortunatly...there is another Dr. Froth...he is a bubbleologist down under (No lie...I'm not making it up). But I have been called Dr. Froth since long before I discovered him and since we are not in the same field...I have not worried much about it.

There will be pictures in the album layout of course...so that will help. And you are right...not many people will read the liner notes because in many cases it will have been downloaded from Itunes or Amazon or Nightmare or wherever.

Not sure if I understand your question. All of my tones are generated by the NS/STICK insofar as I plugged the NS right into protools and let er' rip. Not sure what the producer and mixing engineer will do in regards to reamping or plug-ins...that ball is out of my court. Since I think it will be mixed overseas...I doubt I'll have a lot of say in the matter...lol.

It is not a solo album if that was what you were asking. This is the new Six Minute Century album (good ol' prog/power metal). And while I have the title and album art, I am not at this time allowed to release any of it. Soon though...

Thanks for the feedback sir

Sat Nov 26, 2011 7:49 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

i would just leave it at "NS/STICK" on the jacket.

what JRJ said is sad but true.. most won't care.. but for those few that really want to know more about your instruments (and where that awesome bass sound is coming from) suggest they visit your website @ etc.etc.com. for an "inside look" at your creative process and specs on all your gear.

easy, right in your face marketing.

and how about:

dr. froth (aka michael millsap)
.... otherwise your admirers are going to start addressing their fan mail to dr. michael froth, and that just doesn't sound right.

=o) jimi

Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:01 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I checked out Dr. Froth in Google and sure enough the bubble guy was there :cry:
I checked out your pictures too so I could bone up on all things Dr. F... and I have a friend who could be your doppleganger;
At least when he plays my NS and he would wear the T-shirt about 'yo mama' with no shame
at all 8-)

Not my style though :geek:

So about the album
I was uninformed but congratulations and I am still interested in hearing how it comes out.

I just thought the idea of using an NS (or Stick) with Midi to produce all of the sounds;
guitar, drums, Bass, orc, synths etc is a novel if daunting idea. My experience with the
NS however limited, is that it does track Midi very well so it could work nicely for such
a project.
`J`
`

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Last edited by JRJ on Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Nov 26, 2011 10:47 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Most word processors have the copyright and trademark symbols built in. For example in Word go to "Insert", scroll down to "Symbol" and open the symbol browser. It's right there. I'm sure you could easily move it into your graphics software from the word processor.

Hope this has been helpful and best of luck with your project!

Eric

Bamboo #6277
Polycarb #2267

Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:26 am
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks guys...

I'm going to go with just plain "NS/STICK" like you guys have said and I appreciate all of your input and suggestions.

I do love my offensive T-Shirts...depending on the venue...sometimes I go easy on it (like if there will be kids present or not, of course). But at a bar...I bring out the big guns...lol.

An all midi album of NS/STICK would be pretty cool, but that is not really in my musical area. Heck, I never thought much about tapping until AFTER I bought the NS. I was looking into 9 string basses at the time just so that I could shred and play solos in a regestar that would not be drowned out by distorted guitar. Don Schiff suggested an NS and I bought one and have not looked back (Thanks Don).

The project is not really mine, as I am the newest member (I'm not on the first album, which did pretty fair for our genre). I did get to write 2 of the songs and I do get a feature on the album...so that I cool. I do feel like it is MY band, even though it is really the Frenchman's. That says a bunch about the quality of folks that I get the privilage to jam with.

As usual, you guys are awesome. Thanks for the help.

Dr. Froth

Tue Nov 29, 2011 4:41 pm