It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:34 pm

My first NS/Stick gig 

Post My first NS/Stick gig
just thought I would share a couple of photos. Not much musically to share, but it was a blast new years eve with a great drummer in Mena, AR.

The rig I was using is my old bass rig. I'm running the bass side through a zoom 506 so I can switch to mono for the full 8 string effect and the Morley gives me the massive wah sounds for the leads. That into 2 separate channels on a 1981 Peavey MarkIII head through an 18. All things considered I got very good high response.

I'm glad to be through the first stick gig.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:12 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: My first NS/Stick gig
Very cool Bill! I've started using my 10 String Stick at gigs for a few songs. It's REALLY a different animal! I can't wait to get my NS and start using that! Seems to me it's like owning an ULTRA bass ... a does just about everything guitar! Please keep us posted how it's going and what you discover about the instrument as you go.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:42 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I don't know if I have enough time to post what I discovered on Monday night about the thing, let alone the things I have discovered in the few short months I have owned it. I took along my 6 string bass and didn't bother to pull it out. It was a little awkward when I didn't get my harmonics to ring out, but as you can tell, I list beer as one of my influences and that may have had a little to do with it. :p

Just a couple of things though, being as this is one of a few projects I have going on, I found that playing cover tunes like Billie Jean(Michael Jackson), Money(Pink Floyd), Hotel California and Sweet Home Alabama(oh come on! ) on just the NS goes over extremely well. I thought they would go over well with the rest of the band but they just decided to let me and the drummer have at it and just sing.

The NS just works as I don't have to dig in as hard on the strings and the runs seem to flow better because of the great action. Solos come easy as I am used to the straight 4ths tuning as I can't seem to play the guitar due to the 3rd.

However, it was a mall club and I packed the NS up when we were on breaks so it didn't get bumped, hurt or worse.

It is an attention getter and in AR it is something that people just point at and ask what the hell it is. Needless to say, my wife wasn't happy about the female attention it got either.

Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:56 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

When I play my 10 String Stick people haven't said anything to me but they've looked! And when I walk off stage during breaks and it's on the stand people come up to the stage and just look at it and no doubt think to themselves "what the hell is it?" ;-)

My favorite gigging basses are both Modulus quantums, a 6 string fretted and a 5 string fretless. I love both basses however I invision a day when I only bring my NS Stick (once i get it of course) and my traditional Stick because I want to cover more then just bass guitar parts.

ANYWHO ... as i said please post often and let us know when you have more youtube segments. SOMEDAY I'll get a webcam and set up a youtube account ... when my Stick and NS Stick abilities are worth sharing that is! ;-)

Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:00 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

lol, I haven't had another youtube experience since the first day I got it and that was because a buddy took it without me knowing until halfway through. Even then, it shouldn't be up. I have some bass clinics coming up so I might break out the NS at the end and put it up... if it is up to my standards.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:05 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

BTW ... I use to own more or less the same rig as you YEARS ago! The 18 is great for thump however you may want to consider something a little more full range for your NS. Maybe add a few 10's and a horn to the system or add a small guitar amp for the melody strings when you run stereo. You'll be amazed at the added tone you'll get!

Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Right now I'm on a bit of probation for equipment buying after the NS but there are a couple of things I have on my list. A 2x10 and the line 6 x3 live. The 2x10s are first and it seems even more noticeable on the bass, but the crossover will help once I get the new cab. There's also enough eq to play around with to be passable. I just prefer the live gig to have the stereo out as opposed to the Hartke I use at other times that has a fantastic response but only 1 channel.

Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Bill Lee wrote:
It is an attention getter and in AR it is something that people just point at and ask what the hell it is. Needless to say, my wife wasn't happy about the female attention it got either.

Hi Bill,

I'd be worried that my wife was jealous over the NS and not over you ;)

Thu Jan 03, 2008 9:04 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

could have been the way I was holding the stick too. :P

Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:28 am