It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:53 am

F tapping! 

Post F tapping!
:lol: OK, well maybe that's a bit harsh... but I swear I was about to put my N/S Stick up on eBay. I got it because I've always loved the sound and ability to move from bass to melody effortlessly. I do a lot of loop based music (via Mobius VST plug in) and not having to change instruments to go from bass to melody was always a hope. So... the Stick.

Months later... I suck at it. Between playing guitar and keys and general sound design stuff I just haven't had the time to really put into being able to master two hand tapping. It was bumming me out... but I somewhat expected it. Anyway, after a frustrating beginning today I thought, "I've never played this thing with a pick..."

:o

All of the sudden I was having an amazing time. I was getting tone and dynamic range like I hadn't been able to squeeze out of this thing ever. I was all over the place. It was fantastic.

So maybe one day when I retire and have a ton of time on my hands I'll learn to properly play this thing, but until then, it's really an awesome picking instrument as well. I kept feeling guilty like if I didn't tap it I was cheating but that's silly. So that's my little micro-rant o'the day. Don't mind me. 8-)

Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:07 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: F tapping!
The N/S was designed to be a truly "multi-modal" instrument--so is you're coming from a guitar background there's absolutely nothing wrong with starting with "what you know." I come at it from a bass player's perspective and found the instrument fully as competent using "standard" bass playing techniques as you've found using guitar techniques.

I started out just playing bass lines, and am slowly introducing right hand comping (and a little lead playing). I've been at it nearly two years and am only now starting to feel fully gig-comfortable doing two-handed stuff with a few pieces out of our book. I have a day job and a family so I only get about 30 minutes of practice a night. Busy months it's less, but I try to guard what little practice time I have as much as possible.

So...stick with it--enjoy whatever "mode" of playing comes most naturally. The rest will come eventually. :D

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Yeah, it's been a revelation actually. The tone is so nice when you pick this thing too. It really sings.

Thu Mar 01, 2012 9:33 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Remember...it is an instrument to make music, not an exercise machine for finger tapping...lol.

When I chose to buy an NS/STICK it was purly for the extended range that the instrument would grant me. I have enjoyed tapping out some realbook tunes on my own time and incorporating small two handed segments into Six Minute Century's material...but as a whole I wanted a bass with tons of range to shred on so that bass solos did not sound like mud when faced with distorted guitar rythem backgrounds.

I think the NS/STICK is one of the finest sounding instruments to cover the Bass Guitar role that I have ever heard.

Being a newer instrument and not steeped in a bazillion years of tradition, the NS/STICK is like the wild west of musical instruments. Inovate, play, create...have fun. If it sounds good, than IT IS GOOD and who cares if you tapped, plucked, picked or hit the thing with a graden rake to create said goodness.

I'm glad that you found a way in which to enjoy your amazing instrument, and I hope it brings you much joy and musical goodness to your life. Just sit back and think about what it is you want to create and then figure out what you have to do to get there....you might not have to tap it at all...

Wed Mar 07, 2012 2:20 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

We are all glad you made it through the "filter" and came out the other side with your instrument in hand :) . Everyone experiences it but relatively speaking only a small number get through. I would say
that there are about 10 moments of true despair and indecision where it could go
either way. I remember that I had a buyer for my original Stick who backed out at the last minute :o
He saved my life :oops: .

So if you are a looper try out 'hybrid tap-picking" :? (a momentary invention 8-) ). That is; use the old plectrum as usual (Chris Squire like) but then hold the pick between the thumb and index finger :| and reach up and tap on the melody strings using your middle finger. With that extra finger tapping and pulling off
you can get some ripping fast and interesting lead action going. All the while you have a bass and rhythm loop as your "support carpet" :twisted: .

..*j*
...~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:03 pm