It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:48 pm

Matched Reciprocal. Thoughts? 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Matched Reciprocal. Thoughts?
Matched Reciprocal on an NS/Stick.
Who's using it? Any videos out there? How do you like it?
Other thoughts?
Thanks!
~M

Hotshots Gallery
Reserve Production

NS/Stick # EHC 121221 "Maya" :D

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:03 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Matched Reciprocal. Thoughts?
I tried something near (in a way 8 strings are splitted into 2 groups of 4, with an inverted fifth for left hand) : viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4536

The feeling of inverted fifth is really different from The Stick or Grand because space between strings is larger.

#5162 10-string Maple Stick
#5743 Tinted Salmon Light Bamboo Grand Stick

AFSTG (Association Française du Stick et de la Tape Guitare)

Thu Oct 04, 2012 3:27 am
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply!
I was considering doing 4ths on both sides, just flipping the Bass. I guess that's not technically MR, not sure what you'd call it.
Maybe there's no point. I as thinking this could be a Bass/Stick but with the Bass flipped like this to aid in moving to a 10 String Grand later.
Really love the idea of a headless Stick.

~M

Hotshots Gallery
Reserve Production

Thu Oct 04, 2012 5:38 am

How can I get this tuning on my NS?

When I had asked about it a couple of years ago I was told that it wasn't possible because the melody side saddles wouldn't accomodate the bass side ball ends. Now I see on the website that NS is now available in:
Standard Bass 4ths
Guitar Intervals
Guitar Lower Octave
Interior Matched Reciprocal™
Interior 8-String Classic™
Interior Dual Bass Reciprocal™

Do I order new saddles? Do I have to change the bridge? Please explain because I've been fantasizing about having this tuning on NS for years now! :cry:

Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I am surprised that this topic has not come up more often. I had my NS set up this way just a few months ago. i thought that it would require a change at the head but apparently all intonation issues can be solved at the bridge, so if you did not like it, changing back would not be a problem...(Not completely sure about that. :? )

When i showed it to my friend he said "But it's just like a Stick?" :| ...

Yes, but not really. IMO it is really a very different instrument than either a NS or Stick;
it is a hybrid of a hybrid :twisted:...

It is still an NS though, and the limitation of only eight strings sets up new creative challenges. I originally thought 'I will be able to play any of my Stick songs, just in a more stream line way, and that is true or true enough. But this is different, mysteriously, and I really like that it is not a Stick but a different "fretboard tapping instrument'.

So, new songs, new ideas; IMR is a great thing :).

jRj

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sun Jun 02, 2013 6:28 pm

Hi JRJ,

Thanks for the reply. What I need to know is how it was accomplished mechanically. I can't afford to fly my NS to the USA for a refitting because it would cost me an arm, a leg and a kidney (I live in Malta, Europe).

Cedric

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:15 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Cedric, I would call Stick Enterprises and ask. I dunno if it's possible for Cambria to just send a new bridge with the new saddles or what else would be involved, but she would know and could help you more.

Hotshots Gallery
Reserve Production

Mon Jun 03, 2013 9:16 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cedric,

I hope this is not too "mechanical"...

Perhaps your bridge is different but on mine there are no "saddles" that the string would sit
upon but rather cylinders with threads and equal sized grooves for the strings; on the side!

The strings are held taught by sitting inside the groove and string tension holds them in place.

That is why there is an angle going back from where the string makes contact on the bridge
to the tuners; to create the tension, pressing into the side of the cylinder...

At any rate the bass cylinder that holds the string, if the groove was larger could be swapped, that is, moved to the center. The parts are interchangeable on mine but also uniform
so changing them would not be necessary.

Getting a new set of strings would be ideal, but because the head is "headless" you should be able to use the strings that you have just to get an idea 'set-up' if not an "ideal set-up" :).

So then adjusting the intonation and string height :geek: / :twisted: Yeah!!...

The truth of it is that the design is so straight forward that a carful look will show that
adjusting either the intonation or string height is easy. It looks like the bass string
is just about as far back as possible in the slot, with subtle variations on the other strings.

If you have your original set of wrenches it would be the second largest wrench
for the string length (not the same as the wrench for the truss)...

You just haft to dive in. You will probably need to raise the height of the bass string for it's new position but you don't need to take the string off to do that ; the string just sits there
as the cylinder moves up or down via the threads.

The issue that could be a little vexing (and i know that Emmett
and Cambria and had a little email volley about this); string gage? :? I really wanted
the instrument to be guitar like with bass, so the opposite of 'bass-like' with some guitar.
So it depends on what you want but i think that the difference between light and medium
gage can be dramatic in how subtle you want your instrument to play.

I hope this helps...

I checked out some of the pictures on your website (nice frettless BTW 8-) ) Everything on your NS should be adjustable.

jRj

Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:24 pm

Hi jRj

I too have the side-saddles, or cylinders as you call them. Those are not the problem though. The problem is where the ball-end of the strings is lodged. Strings 7 and 8 have bigger ball-ends than the remaining strings. Now on the bass side, the holes where the ball-ends fit are much bigger than the ones in the melody side.

Do you think you could post a close-up photo of your bridge so I can understand exactly what has been done?

Unfortunately due to the time difference, it's very hard for me to contact SE.

Cedric

Mon Jun 03, 2013 2:33 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

:? I'll see what I can do about some pictures but don't have time until later tonight;
possibly tomorrow for you. But just looking at it I think that the whole mechanism can
be swapped out. I have not done this myself so i am not sure.Possibly someone on the forum
has disassembled the NS bridge and wants to share some wisdom :?: :geek:

BUT

I checked another instrument, an old one and both mine and that one have standard sized holes on the bass side;
(all holes are the same size) for the balls of the string end to fit in on the bass side.
On the melody side it is standard as well but the holes are smaller. Unless there is something
that i really don't understand about what you want it should be as simple as taking the string
off and replacing them in a new "inverted" order.... :|

I'll try to post some pictures tonight 8-)

`j`

Mon Jun 03, 2013 3:51 pm