It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:50 am

NS/Stick rods vs rails....? 
Post NS/Stick rods vs rails....?
Does anyone have any opinions regarding what to prefer on a NS/Stick? Rods or rails? I´ve been thinking about getting a NS/Stick for some time now and just missed out on the koa NS/Stick on the reserv list since I was out giging and my computer broke down so I couldn´t check e-mails. But now there is a older (2001 I think) NS/Stick with rods for sale here in Sweden. I do prefere rails on a regular Stick and I suspect this might be the case on a NS/Stick as well. Does anyone have any thoughts and suggestions regarding this? Either a new NS/Stick with rails or a older one with rods? The used one that a friend is selling isn´t really cheap when comparing to what a new one costs...... Cheaper, yes, but not so much that it really matters..... And it´s always good fun with a brand new instrument. Thoughts anyone? I´m waiting to see what what will show up on the reserve list ahead but have to make up my mind about the used one. Thanks.

Cheers//Jan

Mon Dec 17, 2012 5:39 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: NS/Stick rods vs rails....?
You have me curious on the used one, I've got what I believe to be one of the first 300 made that I purchased in 2004 from Steve Osburn. It has bass-guitar style frets. That one has rods? A few people remarked mine must from from the end of that run as the neck shape is a bit different from an early one they had. Mine's beveled more.

I've been thinking about trading up for rails as my frets are getting mighty worn. Getting close to needing repair. I like rails a lot. Tough question, not sure how many old NS's are out there with rods. I've seen a few old models and some graphite-necked with the same frets I have.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Mon Dec 17, 2012 6:56 pm
MichNS wrote:
You have me curious on the used one, I've got what I believe to be one of the first 300 made that I purchased in 2004 from Steve Osburn. It has bass-guitar style frets. That one has rods? A few people remarked mine must from from the end of that run as the neck shape is a bit different from an early one they had. Mine's beveled more.

I've been thinking about trading up for rails as my frets are getting mighty worn. Getting close to needing repair. I like rails a lot. Tough question, not sure how many old NS's are out there with rods. I've seen a few old models and some graphite-necked with the same frets I have.

The seller says he got the NS/Stick new from SE on the 28th of march 2001 and it took three months from order until it was delivered. You are probably right. It probably has regular bass-guitar style frets. I´ve not seen it myself yet and I was probably just thinking Stick-vocabulary. Rods/rails instead of jumbo bass frets/rails.... There are pics here....:

http://www.pratabas.se/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=61801

Cheers!//Jan :)

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:57 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Cool! That's the first one I've seen with a neck like that. Now I know what it looks like. Mine has bevels far deeper in the back of the neck. Another Stick player I know must have had one like your friend's. I'm thinking if you get a new NS, the back of the neck will be more like mine.

I can't say either neck design is better, but that one I'm thinking will have a fatter feel. I know you have some really nice basses, my guess is you would prefer a new NS. Perhaps you should ask Emmett about that. I don't want to talk you out of it if you happen to like the way that one plays, you might not find another one like it. Actually, check out the pics on Stick's website and look at the backside views of the necks.

Looks a lot like mine otherwise. I believe Emmett brought back the Wenge necks for NS also.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Tue Dec 18, 2012 6:11 am
MichNS wrote:
Cool! That's the first one I've seen with a neck like that. Now I know what it looks like. Mine has bevels far deeper in the back of the neck. Another Stick player I know must have had one like your friend's. I'm thinking if you get a new NS, the back of the neck will be more like mine.

I can't say either neck design is better, but that one I'm thinking will have a fatter feel. I know you have some really nice basses, my guess is you would prefer a new NS. Perhaps you should ask Emmett about that. I don't want to talk you out of it if you happen to like the way that one plays, you might not find another one like it. Actually, check out the pics on Stick's website and look at the backside views of the necks.

Looks a lot like mine otherwise. I believe Emmett brought back the Wenge necks for NS also.

Yeah I better take a look at it. He is a good guy and a wonderful musician too so it´s always great to see him. But I have a feeling that I might prefer rails. I really like them on a Stick. I just have to make my mind up..... :)

Thanks!

//Jan

Tue Dec 18, 2012 8:29 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I bought my NS used and had the same question of Rails vs Jumbo Bass Frets and I emailed Gary Jibilian who works at SE and a great NS/Stick musician.

He told me that there is no difference in tone but has little bit different feel.

I got a great deal on mine and figured that the great price was okay to miss a little feel of the rails.

I also visited Don Schiff a couple days ago for a lesson. His neck has the rounded/non beveled edge. He says he has no issues with it. Emmett wants to change it for him but he loves the tone of it so much he doesn't want to change anything about the instrument. I'm not sure how much the neck actually changes the tone. If it ain't broke then don't try to fix it... I guess...

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Thu Dec 20, 2012 8:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery