It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:41 pm

NSStick.com 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post NSStick.com
Having an NS Stick on order I've placed NS Stick.com as one of my favorites however over the past several months (Or longer) it seems nothing has changed on the Site. I realize the traditional Chapman Stick is really the "focus" and I sure love mine, however it would be nice to see more information and materials available to study and read about the NS Stick. I'm very excited to be adding one to my list of instruments and honestly CAN'T WAIT for "the phone call" telling me mine is finally being built! :) Considering it's tuning and flexability I foresee a future where I'm playing Stick and NS Stick exclusively. (I'll have a lot of basses for sale if that happens!) ;)

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Jan 07, 2008 3:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: NSStick.com
88persuader wrote:
Having an NS Stick on order I've placed NS Stick.com as one of my favorites however over the past several months (Or longer) it seems nothing has changed on the Site. I realize the traditional Chapman Stick is really the "focus" and I sure love mine, however it would be nice to see more information and materials available to study and read about the NS Stick. I'm very excited to be adding one to my list of instruments and honestly CAN'T WAIT for "the phone call" telling me mine is finally being built! :) Considering it's tuning and flexability I foresee a future where I'm playing Stick and NS Stick exclusively. (I'll have a lot of basses for sale if that happens!) ;)

Hi Ray,

For right hand work, you can any and all of the resources available for 4ths tuning. If you're using the straight 4ths tuning, then the Baritone Melody version of my book might be the best resource, with everything played one fret lower.

I'd love to see Don putout an instructional resource for NS players. How many donuts will it take...?

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
88persuader wrote:

Hi Ray,

For right hand work, you can any and all of the resources available for 4ths tuning. If you're using the straight 4ths tuning, then the Baritone Melody version of my book might be the best resource, with everything played one fret lower.

I'd love to see Don putout an instructional resource for NS players. How many donuts will it take...?

Thanks for the feedback Greg however I'm really refering to more NS specific tips in regard to getting the most out of the instrument itself. Tricks and techniques that are specific to the quirks of the construction of the instrument. I'm not really refering to playing in 4ths tuning. Like all bass players that kind of tuning is "where I live." I guess generally, because I have an NS on order and am excited about it I'm simply looking for as much instrument specific information as I can get my hands on.

Again thanks for the feedback!

Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I remember that feeling. I was in a mode where I emailed Don at least once a week with a new question. Once I got my hands on it, it seemed a bit easier. I suppose it would help with a bit more specific questions as well.

As Don once told me, and instructional for the NS would be a never ending job because of the new things you learn every day with it.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:08 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Yeah I'm sure there are new things discovered everyday on the instrument. Look how long the electric bass was around before someone decided to try slapping and popping? Waiting is always hard so I try to spend the time researching. I've probably read all the information currently available on the NS 5 times! ;-) Problem is being such a new instrument there is very little information available and now unfortunately the forum information is gone too. :( Oh well ............... Guess it's up to this 1st generation of NS Stick players to create the information for the next! Maybe someday I'll be able to help fill in some of the gaps! 8-)

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:49 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

88persuader wrote:
Thanks for the feedback Greg however I'm really refering to more NS specific tips in regard to getting the most out of the instrument itself. Tricks and techniques that are specific to the quirks of the construction of the instrument. I'm not really refering to playing in 4ths tuning. Like all bass players that kind of tuning is "where I live." I guess generally, because I have an NS on order and am excited about it I'm simply looking for as much instrument specific information as I can get my hands on.

Hi Ray,

I guess what I was trying to say is that the job of the right hand as far as tapping goes, is the same on an NS as on a regular Stick, so you can generally apply the same right hand lessons.

As a bassist or guitarist, learning to play "two-dimensionally" on the fretboard, is something you will have to teach your right hand to do.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 10:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
88persuader wrote:

Hi Ray,

I guess what I was trying to say is that the job of the right hand as far as tapping goes, is the same on an NS as on a regular Stick, so you can generally apply the same right hand lessons.

As a bassist or guitarist, learning to play "two-dimensionally" on the fretboard, is something you will have to teach your right hand to do.

Understood Greg. :-) Seeing that I have a Stick it's nice to know by playing it and by reviewing the right hand Stick lessons I'm also more or less training my right hand to play the NS.

Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery