It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 3:59 am

Would an NS/Stick be the Right Choice...? 
Post Re: Would an NS/Stick be the Right Choice...?
Good fun! Congrats!! :)

Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:32 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Would an NS/Stick be the Right Choice...?
k.graz wrote:
I think I can live with round wounds! I have an active bass strung with rounds, and I can get a great tapping sound out of them, but I still need a really heavy touch. I think what you have said about the NS/Stick's action and playing style are really turning me on to the instrument.

Best,
~Nicholas "Klaus" G.

Seeing you have a couple basses, keep them in a stand nearby when learning to use your new NS. At times you might get frustrated trying to make the NS play like a conventional bass. I find it helpful to trade instruments at that point until I learn to make the NS work - sometimes an instant comparison is helpful as often it may just be a slight adjustment in how you position your hands for a particular part. I keep several instruments in stands nearby when I practice or work on something in Logic. For a conventional bass line, I usually prefer the NS over my bass when recording tracks in Logic because for me it's easier to use. Even with light gage strings, my bass often has a heavy tone that I have to eq down quite a bit. Not so with the NS, and running it through a Sansamp Bass DI adds more to it.

I tune mine BEADGBEA to keep the guitar tuning I'm familiar with - as said above, I will also switch with a guitar often as the high register gives me an additional string to work with. I might work out a part on the guitar, then find an alternate way to do it on the NS. BTW - a Schubb capo works well on both side of the NS, you can make use of two capos with the NS. For your style of playing, this will give you more open strings to use without altered tuning when using the damper is not required.

Enjoy!

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Fri Mar 29, 2013 5:52 am