It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:26 am

Would an NS/Stick be the Right Choice...? 

Post Would an NS/Stick be the Right Choice...?
Hey folks,

I've long thought about why the Stick hasn't "stuck" for me, and I think I know the reason. I've realized that my tapping style is a bit different than what I think applies to most Stickists. And, while I'm sure some can facilitate the technique I'm about to describe on a good ol' 10-string, I know it's not for me!

Anyway, what I tend to do (on my bass guitar at least) is form a chord shape with my left hand and tap/hammer on/pull off/slide around with my right hand index finger. It creates a beautiful sound - especially on a Fender J-bass strung with light flatwounds.

My style is very similar to what the fellow in this video is doing (particularly around 0:42).

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UsA6BbtWgI[/youtube]

All in all, I would love to know if those more experienced than I think the NS/Stick might better facilitate my preferred technique!

Best,
~Nicholas "Klaus" G.

P.S. I've tried two handed bass, free hands, etc. I keep falling back to the index finger slides and pull offs on my bass guitar.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 2:48 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Would an NS/Stick be the Right Choice...?
great playing, Klaus, and more important, beautiful music!

I think an NS would work very well for you. I hope you get one. I'd love to hear what you would do with it.

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
You know..... You don´t HAVE to get a tapping instrument....... ;) A friend of mine, a very good bass player, taps on his bass for quite abit....:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVYDRSNFR-A[/youtube]

This is a basic home recording and it´s recorded in one take. I made him try my Stick awhile ago and it didn´t do anything for him. I just got myself a NS/Stick very recently and I´ll get him to try that one as well but I´m rather certain that it won´t interest him much. But he is a excellent tapper on bass. And that is fine enough. For him. Try a NS/Stick out if you get a chance. Great instrument. I had a BassStick for awhile and that was not for me even tho it´s the same shape as a Stick (that I´ve played for over 25 years) and tuned as a bass (I´m a bass-player from start). I sold it. The NS/Stick feels much more natural for me compared with a BassStick. But I still defenitely enjoy the Stick a great more and I´ll always consider myself as being a bass-player first, Stick-player second and I will keep the NS/Stick and use it when I see it fit but I doubt I´ll ever consider myself as being a NS/Stick-player..... If you know what I mean.....

Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:55 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Jan, your friend is just awesome :shock:

Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:35 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks for all the replies, folks. I'm thinking an NS/Stick might be in my future.

@Greg: That's actually not me in the video, but rather one I found on YouTube and learned a lot from. If you would like to hear a short tapping loop I created, check out the link below:

https://soundcloud.com/nicholas-graziade/cloud-loop-1

Best,
~Nicholas "Klaus" G.

P.S. What is the action like on an NS/Stick? I know that the relatively medium/high action of my J-bass can bust up my fingers a bit!!!

Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:01 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

If you like light gage bass strings (I use .90-.35 Rotosounds) you'll like the low action and lighter strings of the NS. What I immediately noticed was the increased dexterity in the right hand for tapping. You can play a regular Stick the same way, but fretting chord shapes to pull off on is not as easy, but not impossible either. What the NS does that you can't get out of a bass with really light gage strings is the solid tone and power. I've used lighter gaged strings on a bass and the sound really thins out, but Emmett figured out how to make the thin bass strings work at a low action with the NS. You do need a light touch for playing it in a conventional bass style, but if you are already using light gage bass strings you should adapt pretty quick.
Will you mind not having flatwound?

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 pm

I think I can live with round wounds! I have an active bass strung with rounds, and I can get a great tapping sound out of them, but I still need a really heavy touch. I think what you have said about the NS/Stick's action and playing style are really turning me on to the instrument.

Best,
~Nicholas "Klaus" G.

Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:56 pm
grozoeil wrote:
Jan, your friend is just awesome :shock:

Yes I know. He is a genius. Really nice guy too. He would become a Stick-master within a year if he had a Stick.

Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:27 am

Very excited! I just got off the phone with the good folks in California, and I will be getting the turquoise NS/stick 130111 next week!!!

Thu Mar 28, 2013 3:50 pm

Klaus,

Congratulations!

Mike

Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:13 pm