It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 am

A different side of the NS/Stick 

Post A different side of the NS/Stick
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh5zq9yjBGI[/youtube]
Looking at the NS this way, you can compose your parts like a super wide neck Bass - Guitar. The tuning is straight fourths so that the bass notes and melody chords are within comfortable reach. This particular instrument is fretless so you place your bass notes right where the ''fret' would be. The melody side is fretted so you can place your fingers anywhere in between the frets that are comfortable.

Playing chords at the same-time as your bass note automatically forces your bass side to arch toward where the fret was as the "Stretch" takes some getting used to if you haven't applied that technique before.

As you can tell from the video I was quite proud and happy to receive this instrument. I was to lazy to edit the "Look at this!" portion out.... and besides there were plenty of Krups Coffee refills in the back left. Which reminds me... Time for another! Lol enjoy./Don

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:25 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: A different side of the NS/Stick
That was fun watch and study Don. I think this was posted originally by Louis over at the AJU to the Stickist - we may yet make a Stick player of him yet and he's currently going to CSUN so he's in your neck of the woods.

I am digging the custom 8 space vertical fan rackmount. Is that thing bungee cabled in to the rack?!

Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

LOL yes the 'ol' bungee fan in rack on a hot day trick. Special order,... you have to wait until the pedestal breaks and falls off. Then you can rack mount 'em.!!

Last edited by DonSchiff on Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:25 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Did you get a whammy bar for the melody side?

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:06 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks so much for posting this, Don! Really love your technique and and musicality. Totally a fan here and still struggling with studying "riding off the rails" (on a fully-fretted NS, no less)...maybe I'll have a closer look at this instead.

Hopefully I can catch you for a Skype lesson sometime when my busy Summer schedule cools down. :)

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Thu Jun 06, 2013 1:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Skydiver LOL I didn't get the whammy bar. To much thinking of how to accomplish it and what it would really add. I have a Fender Strat with a whammy so for now I'll leave it there.

Hi zaubertuba, this piece lays quite nicely on a fretted instrument. The hand shapes are easily accessible. I would suggest "givin' it a spin". Feel free to ask me any question if you need any assistance. Side note: Though I give myself "High style points" for the 'finger flicking' to hit the chord it is actually a very effective technique. The 'nail' gives the attack like a pick and the speed and power you get from the 'flick' really drives the string tone different ways and if you compress the melody side it will give the compressor something deluxe to work with.

For those with a fretless and wish to try this piece, you'll notice that by keeping your bass (index) finger slightly pointed toward and 'on' where the fret would be, it will give you a more comfortable chord shape and perfect pitch to the note. With the fretless your bass hand has to be where the fret 'was' to be in pitch. Your chord shape is in-between the frets. That, at first tells your brain 'somethings not right' as generally all fingers play in-between the frets. You get used to it. Emmett has a wonderful suggestion to tune the bass side so that pitch is "in the middle of the fret". That is a great idea and works great. For me, I use a lot of open strings so that would throw that tuning off for them.
Okay, back in the studio!/Don

Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:28 pm
Contributor
Contributor

don! i gotta tell ya I saw this video and another video of you online;the one where you do the slide solo at the end! And i was so stoked i had to go to i tunes and get PEERING OVER THE CLOUDS! WOW! Well , you know a song is good when you hit the repeat button at least 4 times in a row. YOU HAVE A WONDEFUL MUSICAL GIFT MY FRIEND! there is always time to G.A.S. (gear aquisition syndrome) but i just cant get over all the different types of sounds you get on from your ns/stick. On winds of fire winds of change you created probably one of the meanest darkest ,in your face organic growly, gargantuan bass lines ever. i liked the way you added the shuffle feel to the jungle drum beat with your bassline reminded me of astral traveller but then it sounded almost as if the drums got under you and it became a straight ahead slow down to another great part. Love the way you ended it. also loved CROSSING THE LINES OF REASON. The groove on this song is so addicting. The growling sounds your getting in the beginning of the song are amazing love the way you used your power 5ths really like the way you created a syncopated tapping bassline and then switched over to that super loose (almost sloppy) bass part great stuff don ! I dont mean to gush but its not often that i get so inspired by a musicians work so i like to give credit where credit is due . my question is what are the wood combinations on your ns/ stick? do you prefer to play with open strings or the damper , im assuming that you dont use it much because of your varied techniques. really inspired by your music don . WILL YOU BE PUTTING THE SONGS THAT YOU CURRENTLY HAVE ON THE INTERNET ON CD SOON?

Thu Oct 31, 2013 4:29 pm

Hi Megatapper,

First let me say thank you for the kind words. We all bare our souls to make music and having the acknowledgment of appreciation is something not to be taken lightly. I appreciate that and thank you.

1. my question is what are the wood combinations on your ns/ stick?
On the Peering Over Clouds CD that NS/Stick is an Ash body with a Wengi neck. On the Fretless Stick video hmmm I'm not sure of the wood. Probably an Ash body and Wengi neck again. The grains look the same when I compare. If you are in general asking about woods vs tone I find that to be a tough one. I once played Emmett's personal Stick thinking I would sound like him... on the contrary I sounded like me with his Stick setup. Emmett has told me on several occasions "The Stick is a mirror to the artist".

When I did a "What's New Emmett" play time at SE I did have a preference for anything (especially the neck with fret rails) being Bamboo. It felt great, sounded wonderful. Looks darn fine too. Personally I prefer an instrument either black or neutral in color. Professionally speaking (for me) I want it to blend in to any situation whether I wear a tux or leather pants lol, for the gig, so the instrument doesn't 'take over' and draw attention more than it already does just by being a Stick.

2. do you prefer to play with open strings or the damper , im assuming that you dont use it much because of your varied techniques.
You nailed it, unless it is definitely necessary to use the damper I keep it off to move from technique to technique. I mute the strings with any available finger or palm of either hand. Once you leave the damper off, your ear instictively tells your hand/finger to lay flat as you notice any ringing. From there you get used to 'anticipating' any potential ringing before it happens and preemptively dampen.

3.WILL YOU BE PUTTING THE SONGS THAT YOU CURRENTLY HAVE ON THE INTERNET ON CD SOON?
I would love to but lack the time at the moment. The styles are so varied it would take a few CD's but thinking about it maybe a CD acknowledging the "Varied" styles and calling the CD "Potpourri" could work. My other thoughts were to include all the Youtube onto a DVD/CD. All that is easier to think of then I have time at the moment to do. In the spare time I'm heading to put the next CD out focusing on Songs (vocals) that I have written and have background vocalists, string section, coming in to fill it out. At least it sounds great in my 'head' so far. Lol. I'll get there.

What are you doing with your music. Do you have varied styles or are you focusing on a few that you find resonate within and are 'you'.

Thanks for your questions./Don

Thu Oct 31, 2013 7:15 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

damn, that was awesome.

Thu Oct 31, 2013 8:02 pm
Contributor
Contributor

wow thanks for the quick reply! and you answered all my questions too. As far as what i'm doing currently with my music: been playing bass since 1980 mostly fretless. been a stickist since 1985 but didnt buy my first new one until last november. and ive been putting in at least 2 hours a day some times more. i just decided to woodshed and learn everything i possibly can whether it be mastering a certian scale or 3 or 5. focus on nothing but left hand technique right hand technique apart from each other . be patient ,enjoy all the crawling ,the walking and the running.bring the two hands together when i am ready to. and learn songs , all the songs ive always wanted to play since i was a kid (funny thing ) when i got my new stick i hadnt played one since 95 and i didnt have a cd player so i had to imagine how all the parts sounded and just figure it all out my singing the parts, and humming too. What emmett has done in creating the stick is nothing short of miraculous. I have never played an instrument that made it easy to draw out what i hear in my head ,heart as easily as i can with the stick. i play in church currently as the bassist and bass is my first instrument. Appreciate your explanation of muting techniques btw. it really is like playing a separate part on the instrument (it is amazing how many people cant hear all those notes ringing out on their instruments) AS FAR AS WHAT THE FUTURE HOLDS . i would like to master sight reading ,get an ns/stick , never even thought about it until i saw your videos and heard your music . I love progressive rock.Similar the great stuff you do with the rocket scientists i play a with fairly aggressive fingerstyle bass , and i love what can be done with the stick so now my gears are turning a little. thanks for the inspiration i would like to start playing out with other musicians ,possibly a cajon player and work a little with a looper as well . thanks again for the reply i also love the song peering over clouds!

Thu Oct 31, 2013 10:05 pm