It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:56 pm

Strings 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Strings
I've no doubt this has been asked before however the old database is gone so time to rebuild it! ;-)

I know SE does research and sells the best Strings available for their instruments. That being said ... has anyone used strings other then official NS Stick strings on their NS? If so what were they and what were your results?

Also ... are the Strings supplies by SE for the NS the same strings supplied on the SB8?

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Jan 08, 2008 5:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: Strings
All the strings for S.E. are manufactured to Emmetts specs by D'Addario, the best strings in the world, for the best instruments in the world, if that's what you were asking. Not worth experimenting with anything else. Just wish they'd supply the gauges. (Yes, I'm still harping about that)

Marty

Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:06 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

MarTroiD wrote:
All the strings for S.E. are manufactured to Emmetts specs by D'Addario, the best strings in the world, for the best instruments in the world, if that's what you were asking. Not worth experimenting with anything else. Just wish they'd supply the gauges. (Yes, I'm still harping about that)

Marty

Marty I realize the strings SE supplys are the best available for their instruments and I try too always keep an extra set handy. My question was more on the lines of emergency need. Something to use in a pinch. I'm not looking for a "better replacement." I'm wondering if there's something I can get at the local music store in a pinch until I can get replacement strings from SE.

I know these questions were asked before however all that wonderful information was unfortunately lost so I thought the question was one worth asking.

Wed Jan 09, 2008 1:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I made a mistake on one string the first time I changed mine. I used an equivalent gage D'Addario XL nickel string .080", which is an E string on the NS, not the typical A. I also tried a DR stainless 0.80.

The DR felt identical to the Stick string, but sounded nothing like it (actually weaker). The D'Addario sounded more like the Stick version, but had beefier tension.

Somewhere on the net is a photo of a modified NS made up of nothing but D'Addario guitar and bass strings.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:37 am

I've tried it and had problems. None of the music stores had tapered strings so the B and E did not fit well without crimping the ball end to fit into the bridge. Also the F and Bb strings seemed to not stay in the side saddles at the nut properly. They were definitely moving up and down causing massive fret noise.

Seriously though, the strings are cheaper than a set of strings for the bass. After that experience I won't use any other strings.

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:33 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

88persuader wrote:
I've no doubt this has been asked before however the old database is gone so time to rebuild it! ;-)

I know SE does research and sells the best Strings available for their instruments. That being said ... has anyone used strings other then official NS Stick strings on their NS? If so what were they and what were your results?

Also ... are the Strings supplies by SE for the NS the same strings supplied on the SB8?

Hi Ray,

I haven not tested this on an NS, but tapping is tapping. The thing about strings is that they might sound and behave great for conventional techniques, but not work well for tapping.

So it goes beyond gauge, to construction and other more esoteric factors. Emmett's strings are not "off-the-shelf." And he play-tests batches of strings to make sure that they sound good.

So even knowing the right gauge won't really help you.

I save all my old strings. I have boxes of them. Even old worn-out SE strings sound better to my ear than anything else I've ever tried or heard on an instrument made by another supplier.

Sometimes I have a student who bought a set of strings from another source and asks me to help them change them. They never sound as good to me, they just don't "ring true."

But you should feel free to experiment if you want, of course.

As far as SB8 compatibility goes, I believe the strings for 36" scale Sticks will not work on the NS because of the taper of the windings at the nut end, but I could be wrong about that

Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:34 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

greg wrote:
88persuader wrote:

Hi Ray,

I haven not tested this on an NS, but tapping is tapping. The thing about strings is that they might sound and behave great for conventional techniques, but not work well for tapping.

So it goes beyond gauge, to construction and other more esoteric factors. Emmett's strings are not "off-the-shelf." And he play-tests batches of strings to make sure that they sound good.

So even knowing the right gauge won't really help you.

I save all my old strings. I have boxes of them. Even old worn-out SE strings sound better to my ear than anything else I've ever tried or heard on an instrument made by another supplier.

Sometimes I have a student who bought a set of strings from another source and asks me to help them change them. They never sound as good to me, they just don't "ring true."

But you should feel free to experiment if you want, of course.

As far as SB8 compatibility goes, I believe the strings for 36" scale Sticks will not work on the NS because of the taper of the windings at the nut end, but I could be wrong about that

Thanks for the info Greg. Just to be clear I realize the strings Emmett supplies for Stick instruments are the best. My question was for two reasons. 1. To ask if there is something that can be used in a pinch because it could take weeks to get new strings from SE. And 2. Simply to get more information BACK on the forum. We who have been members for a long time have heard lots of these questions answered however the old information is gone and I think it's a good thing to replace the information for new Stick and NS Stick players. Fueled in part by my startment on a different thread about there being very little information available on the NS Stick. And the question about the SB8 Strings came up because i HAVE a new set doing nothing! ;-)

Wed Jan 09, 2008 8:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery