It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:20 am

NS-specific instructional material? 

Post NS-specific instructional material?
Is there any instructional material specific to the NS out there, especially when it comes to left/right hand coordination?

Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:53 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: NS-specific instructional material?
I would imagine that if there was, it would be showing up on the Stick web site. (Perhaps it's time for Don to slap a book together? You know, in all that spare time that I'm sure he has...? ;) )
Until the day comes for a specific N/S book, I would imagine that the existing books on the Stick could work. You'd have to do a little adaptation, of course, but the principles of coordination would be the same even if the tunings are different.
Or, set yourself up with some Skype lessons - I'm sure at least ONE of the number of guys in this forum who teach would get you going!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Fri Nov 15, 2013 9:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I think the 7/8 string tapping on guitars and basses tuned in 4ths is a relatively small body of instruction (if any). I've never seen any books or methods on it, only a few short articles online. And when I see people playing that way, a lot of the time it isn't even their primary method of playing (Aside from N/S Stick Players and some of the Candy Rat records people).

The thing I did when I was messing around with tapping on a non-stick instrument (7 string guitar, in my case, tuned BEADGBE) was to simply arrange/find arrangements for basic piano music or classical pieces and work from there. Doing the arrangement yourself lets you really see what kind of fingerings work and how you'll need to fundamentally alter your methodology of playing to hit certain passages correctly.

Its a less than ideal answer, but I hope that helps.

Fri Nov 15, 2013 12:32 pm
Site Admin

Don starting working on articles for my NSstickist.com site, now pretty much stagnant, but they're still there ...

http://nsstickist.com/nstech.htm

Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:16 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks, all!

Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:26 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I learned the NS/Stick with Don's lessons on NSStickist.com.
I also met Don in LA when I was there on a business trip for a lesson. But he does Skype lessons too.

Once I got the shape of the chords down I started to learn songs. It blew my mind when I was playing chords that didn't have the bass note in it... :shock:

I'm not very technical and like to play a singer/songwriter style (Left hand Bass lines,with Right hand chords and sing).

Don will download all the different techniques he uses...

Don't feel bad about reaching out to him. He is super cool and loves playing and teaching. No ego trips with him.
When I was at the Free Hands Academy last August he grabbed me when we were just sitting around and asked if I want to jam. We went to another room and started playing and he kept encouraging me to just do it and not worry about anything but putting down some notes... Some notes worked and most didn't but that is where it all starts.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Fri Nov 22, 2013 2:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

It's not "ideal", but if you want to work on your right hand, you can use the Baritone Melody version of The Stick Book. That tuning is a half-step lower than strings 1-5 on the NS, so you would just play everything one fret lower than indicated in the book.

Fri Nov 22, 2013 4:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Okay someone must have mentioned my name three times and like "Beetlejuice" I show up. I would be happy to Skype with anyone even if just to get you started, you can then decide if you would like to have a lesson or two.

Yes, the book always in process (in my head). I am happy to share until I get some instructional material out, and then I'll still share buy we'll have somethin' to look at.

I just recorded the "Deer Hunter" (Cavatina) theme. It is such a beautiful piece and John Williams (classical guitarist not the composer) did such a phenomenal job playing the original theme I was inspired to try my hand on it and add my ownness to it. It's being mixed currently and I should have it Friday. It was recorded all on NS/Stick (half-fretless). Good 'n tricky as the low notes of the arpeggios are on the fretless side while all the others are fretted. It gave a nice contrast to the tone and 'feel' of the moving arpeggios. Once mixed I'll make it available for us all to hear.

Okay, my contact info: go to www.donschiff.com and hit "Booking A Session" and you will see the email contact link their.

I look forward to hearing from all of you and especially you. (nice personal touch there!)
Have a nice Thanksgiving!
/Don

Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:11 pm

You Stick folks sure do look after one another!

Don, I will try to hit you up for a Skype chat as soon as I've come up with an explanation for my wife of why I absolutely needed this new instrument. To steal a phrase from Sam the piano player in Casablanca, I ain't got time to play the instruments I already have!

Tue Nov 26, 2013 10:53 pm

I look forward to it SCinTN, we'll have a blast./Don

Sat Dec 07, 2013 1:48 pm