It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:39 pm

Follow up story to "Cavatina" on the NS/Stick 

Post Follow up story to "Cavatina" on the NS/Stick
So I write Emmett to say hello and tell him a little story about Cavatina and life in general. He loved the story and hoped I'd share it. Sooooo this story starts with his reply to my letter. And thank you Emmett for wanting to share it.

Me> So glad you like it Emmett, that means a lot to me.

Emmett > PS: Do you ever send these things to the composer?

Me> Great idea, I think I will. I don't think I did any damage to the song and perhaps he'll enjoy our take on it.
:Prolog: I do a little research to find out Stanely Myers died in '09 God rest his soul. That said, I'm sure he would of loved it (so I tell myself) Lol.

Emmett> The finger point is a great gesture, then the sweetener pad comes in, a money moment, no doubt also played on the NS/Stick. <

Me> I could have triggered the "String Pad" via NS but cheated and did it the old fashioned way and played it via keyboard. Everything but the String pad sound is the NS in this piece. Under the keypad there are some lovely harmonics from the NS and supportive lines to give the string pads 'life'. I wish I could have afforded a real string section and hall for them to play that String arrangement in as it would have really boosted the 'life drive' of the piece. Oh well, we do what we can.

Me> Tomorrow I'm writing with Gloria Loring (Soap star and wrote quite a few hit TV themes). Her son is Robin Thicke who is at the top of the charts now. I also played on Eddie Monies 'sons' album which releases soon. So I've gone from playing on "young" stars albums to "young" stars albums, except now with a generation of a mom and dad in between.

My Godson (22) just asked if I would join his band as I just finished recording on his album. I laughed and said, you want the "Gramps" look standing on stage with you? He said, "Who else am I gonna get that does what you do?".

Funny side story if I hadn't mentioned it already. He had "Don Gehman" (Producer of John Cougar Melloncamp) produce some of his album. He told him I want my Godfather to play bass. Don Gehman said, "I have my own studio musicians I use and they are all "A" list players". My Godson said, I still want my Godfather on bass. He reluctantly said, "Okay we'll give it a try but in his head thought this will be a waste of a day in the studio.

So in I walk to the session, NS and bass arsenals in tow, knowing full well of his apprehensions, shake Mr. Gehman's hand and say, "Hi, I'm the Godfather".

The song rolls and we hit record, he prepares for the worst.... His face then can't help but to crack a smile and says, "OhhhHHHhhhh... I get it!" He then tells me, give me a bass line but think cello. I snap it out first take. Hes says smiling, "Yes, just like that. He later calls the studio back and tells the engineer and my Godson, great call, I now hear the other tracks and wish the Godfather was playin' on them. I smooched my Godson's head and said, "Ya did the Godfather proud!"

Zip ahead a few months, I'm on every track of the album now and 90% on NS. A lot of it the half fretless as well.

----------------------------The End--------------

So the moral of the story..... Sling enough' notes, some will "Stick" (brump bump, thank you very much ladies and gentleman). Sorry many years in Las Vegas playin' shows, ya just can't help but to fire out one liners then congratulate and thank yourself lol.

When I played for the Elvis show at the Las Vegas Hilton I used to love the Mania when Elvis walked out on stage. My friend Ron Feuer still plays the show. Yeah, no joke, Elvis still tours, just got back from South America. Of course God rest his soul, but they show a large screen video of him and have the original 'live' band play along side the film of Elvis singing. It is still a huge tour. "Now THAT'S famous"...

I don't tour that much currently but now there's hope that I can pick up the slack after I'm gone!! Ya never know.

Meanwhile, I better get back in the studio and play a few notes, heck they might be the ones that go on tour "Long after".. Lol. Be well everyone, play "Loud 'n Proud".
/Don

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:41 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Follow up story to "Cavatina" on the NS/Stick
is this song available to hear... i was out of the loop

Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Let's put this here so the thread is complete.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrhpETzOWmI[/youtube]

Thanks for the story, Don. I love hearing this kind of stuff.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sun Dec 08, 2013 1:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks, Eric as (once again) I couldn't figure out how to embed the video. I'm sure I'll get the hang of it on the next one.

As an epilog, Gloria (Loring mom of Robin Thicke) just left. Prior to our writing session said she just came from lunch with Robin and the place went nutty pointing "There's Robin!.. look it's Robin". She's very proud and shares in the excitement as at one point in her career she too would get the pointing and shouting at. I get the pointing and shouting at too, but it's usually my wife 'pointing and Shouting' "You lazy #$$%*# get out there and mow that lawn".

Enjoy!
Don

Sun Dec 08, 2013 6:16 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

What a great story, Don. Greetings from Swisherland (it's ice cold out there...) :D

Mon Dec 09, 2013 11:08 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Nice touch at the end; three snapshots fade to sepia 8-) Like a movie about the music in a movie...

jRj
:geek:

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:05 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

This is the best ive seen from him!. I don't quite feel too much fretless but thats all good, I hear some ;) . Overall I enjoy quite bit. I'm trying to legalize the NS and this is a great one for amoo so to speak. Cheers!

Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:06 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Beautiful Don. You never fail to inspire.

Burnis

Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:17 pm