It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:01 am

Cleaning Products 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Cleaning Products
Also agree on the chemical products for fingerboards. I never use them. For the most part I don't do anything aside from an occasional wipe with a soft cloth. Every year or two when I feel like there is significant crud building up, I'll wait until I'm doing a string change and go over the entire instrument with a little lemon or orange oil and some 000 grade steel wool. When using any kind of oils, you just have to make sure and dry it off really well (I use a lot of paper towels), get all oil off the frets, and allow significant drying time before putting the strings back on.

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Cleaning Products
Like Glenn, I generally don't use anything until I change my strings (about once or twice a year). Then I take off all the strings and use a 3M finishing pad over the whole instrument to effectively scrape off any dirty build-up. I especially work over the finger board pretty well to remove all the grime off near the frets. I prefer the 3M finishing pads to 000 steel wool because there are no little bits of metal to foul the pickups or the electronics. Once the instrument has had a good working over with the finishing pad, I use the smallest amount of Tung oil to treat the wood. I put a bit of the oil on a cloth - just enough that a wipe of the cloth on the instrument cleans and finishes the wood - and wipe the whole instrument down (only the wood parts). Then I go over the whole instrument a few times with a clean absorbent cloth to make sure there is no residual Tung oil. Works wonderfully. I use the same process on the fingerboard of my nice acoustic guitar.

Marty

Mon Mar 17, 2014 10:43 am