It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:47 am

North New Jersey Bass Player interested in trying N/S Stick. 

Post North New Jersey Bass Player interested in trying N/S Stick.
Hello all,
Brand new forum member here.

I'm a bass player living in North New Jersey (USA) and am very interested in purchasing a(n) N/S Stick, but I have some questions, and would LOVE to get my hands on one to play it for a few minutes.

I do a lot of tapping on my current 4 and 6 string basses, but I know that the experience is different on a Stick instrument.

Anybody in the North New Jersey area have one of these instruments and would be willing to let a "fellow" bassist come over and play it for a few minutes (also answer some questions about the thing)?
I'd be most appreciative and lunch would be on me (as we went out to, no doubt, continue discussing all things "Bass" over a burger).

Let me know, and thanks in advance,

~Bassman1927...

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:43 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: North New Jersey Bass Player interested in trying N/S St
Hi bass, I'm not in your area and I don't play bass, but I'll give this a bump. Good luck!

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:19 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thank you sir, I appreciate the Bump.
~B...

Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:21 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Bassman!

Welcome to the group.
I was a bass player for 20 years before moving to NS/Stick. I love it so much that the basses are now just wall hangings. (Thought about selling them but there is so much sentimental value to them...)
I was starting to do a little tapping on the bass but for whole songs it was getting very hard to do without re-configuring the bass for strictly tapping. I was lucky to get to play one before buying... I hope you can find someone there that will let you try one out. The tapping experience is very different since the stick is made for it. I had to get used to plucking on the NS but I got used to it very quickly.

Good luck!

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Fri Apr 04, 2014 3:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Bassman, I am in Massachusetts, so not REALLY close, :D but, if you don't get a chance to find one down your way and, come up this way........

Tue Apr 15, 2014 4:32 am

Hello all,
Sorry for the late replies but I actually began the process of having a custom 6-String bass made for me and put the idea of the NS Stick aside for a little while.

...WELL...

I've decided to revisit it now.

Skydiver - Thanks for all the information you provided to me on the instrument, and loved the video of you covering Hendrix up on YouTube. Great tune and playing. I like the slap tones you approximate on the low strings. That's a LOT of what I'd be trying to replicate with a NS Stick (plus the tapping, of course).

Tony - I appreciate the offer, thanks. If I'm ever up Boston way I may very well give you a shout. Lunch will be on me.

To any others: I know that the current solution they offer regarding MIDI / TRIGGERING (etc.) is to install a Roland GK-3B pickup on six of the strings. The configuration I've seen is on the highest strings (leaving the B and E untriggerable). Anybody know if you can ask for a different location for the pickup (middle 6 strings, for example) OR (even better) if there are any OTHER solutions to trigger ALL 8 strings? I know that this will not work with the 13-pin paradigm they currently use (that cable is only designed to carry 6 independent signals), but if there are any OTHER options they are working on. Would be very curious.

I am still looking to play one of these but there're no paces near me that carry them (maybe NYC, but likely not). I heard once (not sure if it's true or not) that the company has a policy that lets you buy one, try it for a month, and if you're not happy, return it for a full refund. Is this true? I can always write to the company directly to find out, but was curious if anybody knew off the top of their head. If SO, that may the way for me to go.

Well, that's it.

Hope all are well and thanks in advance for any replies.

Best,

~Bassman1927...

Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:23 pm