It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:13 am

SOLD NS/Stick For Sale 

Post SOLD NS/Stick For Sale
I just posted my 2013 NS/Stick in Classifieds. Please take a look!

Thanks,
Mike

Sat May 17, 2014 8:33 pm

Post Re: SOLD NS/Stick For Sale
Edit: I've shown what I have written here, before posting, to an associate who suggested that some readers might not 'get' or appreciate my sense of humour. So please understand that no offense is intended. If you are a person who takes offense at stuff on the internet, please don't read any further.

So I bought Mikes NS/Stick - black stained Ash body with natural Bamboo neck. I have decided to name her 'Nessie' after a girl I knew at school. Vanessa was not the prettiest girl in school, but she had a deep, sonorous voice, a wide neck and, according to rumour, balls. I can't take the analogy any further as I never got to investigate Vanessa's pickup characteristics.

After a week with Nessie, how do I express my feelings? Many have written of their first impressions of the NS/Stick and there are many clichés, so I choose to ask a series of questions:

1. I am a guitarist, so to all you bass players out there - are all basses this easy to play?
2. I am a guitarist, so to all you bass players out there - do all basses sound this good?
3. If an EMG Telecaster neck pickup can sound this good, why don't I hear such good tone more often?
4. Why don't Stick Enterprises make 4-string basses and 6-string guitars? If they did, they would be amazing!
5. So many tuning possibilities...?

I'm loving it!

NS/Stick #130502
Guitar synths, looping
and the skin of my teeth.

Fri Jul 04, 2014 1:01 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi Nik,

Welcome to Club NS!

The NS/Stick is an amazing instrument. I have been a bass player for 20 years and since I have picked up the NS Stick about a year and a half ago I have not gone back.

As much as I like to think that the NS/Stick is the "ultimate instrument" and all bassists and guitarist should give up and take up the NS/Stick the truth is that there are so many different sonic characteristics in the different kind of basses out there.
For me the NS/Stick is the tone I have been looking for.
I did have to adjust my plucking/slap/pop to the NS but that wasn't too hard. There are certain tones that are hard to get which requires a hard pluck or pop of the string but I think that there are ways of doing it on the NS/Stick to remedy that. It's not the same as the standard bass but it works for me.

It would be interesting to see an Emmett Chapman vision of a guitar or bass but I think that the Stick is that instrument. From a marketing standpoint, making a standard bass or guitar may not cover the expense of the development since there are just so many out there.

As for tuning I have been playing standard bass 4th tuning but drop tuned a half step because I want to be able to tap the standard "open string" note. I found that many popular tunes use E,A,D and I could have played them on the 5th fret but then it was very close to my right hand playing (I have worked around this) but I also like some of the tone at the first fret for that "open" note.
JRJ has been pushing the DADGAD type of tuning. I'm not sure what the full tuning is but he plays some very nice tunes with that type of tuning.
Of course there is the tunings page on Stick.com http://stick.com/instruments/tunings/

Welcome to the club!

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Thanks for the welcome, Dean.

I shan't be giving up guitar as my primary instrument any time soon. That was never the plan and it ain't gonna happen.
I've been fascinated by the design and tuning of the Stick for many years and eventually got my hands on a lovely old Ironwood about 9 months ago. They don't come up for sale often here in the UK; not at a price I can afford on a blind whim, anyway. I figured out fairly quickly that it is not right for me - not at this time of my life.
But I did want to acquire a broader musical palette, bass guitar, tapability, baritone guitar, 4ths/5th mirrored tuning, MIDI compatibility and good wood. The NS looked like it would be more to my taste so I took the plunge.
So far, after just a week, it appears to be everything I hoped it would be.

Currently it is set up for Mike's F#,B,E,A,D,G,B,E (low to high) tuning. I expect I'll change that very soon. Details to follow....

NS/Stick #130502
Guitar synths, looping
and the skin of my teeth.

Sat Jul 05, 2014 10:25 am