It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:49 pm

my new 1/2 fretless 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: my new 1/2 fretless
basscase wrote:
Well that pic shows some very tall fret markers if that is it. lol.

The only strings that are Fretless on this one are a few of the Bass Strings.
the Fretted one's above those that you mentioned are Melody strings.
Classic stick tuning..

Last edited by ChapStick on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Yes, I see the color change just above center now. How many strings are considered bass strings? Having played 7 string fretless bass, they all seem like "bass" strings to me.

I know, "silly bass player bringing a bass to a Stick fight". lol.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 9:56 pm
Contributor
Contributor

basscase wrote:
I know, "silly bass player bringing a bass to a Stick fight". lol.

good one.... :lol:

Last edited by ChapStick on Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

We seem to consider and call the "bass strings" on a Stick the inverted 5th strings that you generally play with your left hand when playing across the board. Fact is these strings become melody strings and actually have quite the high range. Lots of melody range cross over potential! Personally I would consider the thick 3 strings the "bass strings" and all others would be melody strings ... but that's me. On the NS Stick it's tuned like an 8 string bass guitar so the half fretless has the B, E, A and D strings fretless and the G and up are fretted.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:23 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

ok, one last pic...

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

WOW!!! I once was lost, but now I am found. This site is looking like the promised land for this bass player. Looks like you have a little bit of fretless experience yourself.

I am an owner operator truck driver and was looking for a bass to take with me on the road when I stumbled apon the NS. The only problem was I play fretless, now not an issue. Only thing left is designing a bass rig to fit in the truck, and a small computer based recording studio for my writing.

You seem to have all the answers( appreciated very much), any ideas?

Wed Aug 13, 2008 10:52 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

basscase wrote:
WOW!!! I once was lost, but now I am found. This site is looking like the promised land for this bass player. Looks like you have a little bit of fretless experience yourself.

I am an owner operator truck driver and was looking for a bass to take with me on the road when I stumbled apon the NS. The only problem was I play fretless, now not an issue. Only thing left is designing a bass rig to fit in the truck, and a small computer based recording studio for my writing.

You seem to have all the answers( appreciated very much), any ideas?

Any mini portable studio with headphones will work as a personal amp/recording rig. And you could always pick up a small bass processer like a line6 or a Zoom. Remember the NS Stick is stereo or mono so in stereo you can process both sides seperately. (Bass AND GUITAR) But you can also run it in mono as an 8 string tapping, strumming and plucking bass. The NS Stick IS IMO the ultimate instrument for the bass player. Most effects units, especially ones made for bass are mono. So if you buy a bass pod or something you'll have to run in mono. BUTTTT if you have some extra $$$ you could always look into the Step-A-bout stereo preamp sold by Stick Enterprises. It cost a few bucks but by all accounts it's awesome and is a very flexable stereo preamp made specifically for the Stick. Or you could look on e-bay and buy a used Rane AP13 which is a stereo preamp made for acoustic guitars but works awesome for the Stick. ....... You have a LOT of options! 8-)

Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Being a rock player "ala" Geddy Lee, Entwistle, Squire, Etc... I have been looking at the Sansamp PSA1 for Pre or loop for a little color. The BBE Max-Com for control, it's two channel. And I am trying to find a suitable amp, Light and powerful enough to handle my sound and style. I am thinking a couple of Acme Low B2's, or a couple schroder 1210's. Yeah, I know it is all going into the sleeper of a truck, but I do stop and play with friends on occassion, very loudly. lol.

As for digital recording gear, I am just looking for something I can USB into my laptop, record, edit a little, maybe add a drum track and send to friends in an MP3 or sound file for writing purposes. I am new to that stuff.

How does the rig sound so far?

Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:52 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

basscase wrote:
Being a rock player "ala" Geddy Lee, Entwistle, Squire, Etc... I have been looking at the Sansamp PSA1 for Pre or loop for a little color. The BBE Max-Com for control, it's two channel. And I am trying to find a suitable amp, Light and powerful enough to handle my sound and style. I am thinking a couple of Acme Low B2's, or a couple schroder 1210's. Yeah, I know it is all going into the sleeper of a truck, but I do stop and play with friends on occassion, very loudly. lol.

As for digital recording gear, I am just looking for something I can USB into my laptop, record, edit a little, maybe add a drum track and send to friends in an MP3 or sound file for writing purposes. I am new to that stuff.

How does the rig sound so far?

Sounds like a lot more then I thought you would fit in your truck! :) Honestly I've never used the equipment you mentioned so have no experence with it but I'm sure it's great. As long as it covers the bottom AND top end of the instrument. Remember the NS melody Strings go into the mid guitar range so it's really a full range instrument and processed like a guitar they really rock!!

Thu Aug 14, 2008 2:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Well the sleeper is a little tight, now that I have my fridge and flat screen tv in there... lol. I really do have them in there.

I was looking at a small plastic/poly rack case, about a 10 space should do it, mounted in one of my storage cabinets I am not using. Cut some holes for the cables and power, and run a hose up from the a/c to the cabinet to keep everything cool. It will take some engineering, but it can be done.

As for the equipment The sansamp and everything else are not bass specific, and have some very warm accurate sounds for bass, guitars, keys, and vocals. Knowing the range of the NS i have specificly chosen equipment for it's ability to handle more than just bass. I was thinking more like keys/piano. Beside's, the NS won't be my only SE purchase. I still think a 10 or 12 would be interesting as a half and half.

Thankis for opening my eye's about the fretless, now I am going to be broke. lol.

Thu Aug 14, 2008 8:30 pm