It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:04 am

Gary Jibilian 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Gary Jibilian
Glad to hear that Gary will be on this weeks FHF. Like Don, Gary is a monster on the NS. Anyone who's ever heard him play, knows exactly what I mean. The man doesn't need a plug from me, but I'm going to give one anyway. Check out his DVD " Live at the Unknown Theater." To me, it's a musical roller coaster ride, with the safety bar in the "up" position. Check it out. "The Disappearing One", and "Anti - Gravity" are two of my favorites. I still wonder how he does it all. Anyway, I'll have to catch the rebroadcast later,because I have to work. Can't wait to see this one.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 11:12 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Gary Jibilian
Yo I know gary, and he is a doper. When he is just messin around he rips creative ideas that could be used to make like 50 songs! Its just so hard to put em all together.
I like his from the gut approach that doesn't really use music theory per say. I mean that in the best way, cause I think he intuitively knows more theory than he would lead you to believe. Its just natural.
Be forwarned though if you take some lessons. :evil: He is brutal with his R.H pinkie, haha. Last riff he showed me was basically torture and he's laughing, like dude this no prob. He is also uber bassist too. Listen to him to rip fingersstyle on the NS(he can). And slap too. If you hear that side of him you are like whoa. :o He can do it all. He is going to burn the house down with the all tapping (mostly). Make sure to ask him to fingerstyle shred on the video chat if you want, I may try to be there.

HAILS

Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:02 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Gary is a beast and all around good guy! He is a native Detroiter before relocating to southern California. He and I used to do gigs together in Detroit's Greektown district on Sunday nights before he moved (it was his gig but he graciously invited me a few times). I remember steering him to the NS and watching him take to it like a fish takes to water.

Wed Aug 06, 2014 5:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I grew up in Shelby Township, and lived in Lapeer, Southfield, Farmington Hills,and other cities in Michigan. I havn't been back in years,but I really miss the U P. Greektown was a trip. Anyway, yeah, his right hand is unbelievable, his left is unbelievable. I told him that I'll take some skype lessons, as soon as I have enough confidence. That translates to, not for a while.

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:17 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

A great player and so humble...it was fun to look at the FHF.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Sat Aug 09, 2014 5:31 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Where is his video interview? OR rather where is the archive of free hands fridays? Thanks

Thu Aug 14, 2014 1:50 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oceans wrote:
Where is his video interview? OR rather where is the archive of free hands fridays? Thanks

You can find them on the Free Hands Academy YouTube Channel and in my Chapman Stick YouTube playlist (toward the bottom, FHF Episode 2 is currently number 168 in the playlist).

Last edited by Robstafarian on Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Aug 14, 2014 3:18 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Last weekend I traded some gear at a local guitar center. One of the other employees overheard me telling his coworker I'd be using the gear for my Chapman Sticks. He walked over and asked me if I ever heard of Gary Jibilian. When I said I actually know him, he was pretty happy as most musicians he's mentioned this to never heard of Gary, or sometimes even the Stick. He still talks about one of Gary's concerts from about 10 year's back that he did in Detroit. He also raves about Gary's CD's that he bought. He was a bit overjoyed that someone finally knew what he was talking about.

Was a nice way to pass the time, trading gear at the GC takes patience, often 1 or more hours depending on what you are trading, Amps are the worse, which I was doing. And something crashed in the computer, so we started over.

So if Gary does another show in Detroit, I'll know where to spread the word. Sadly he missed Gary's last show at the Magic Bag.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sun Aug 17, 2014 7:42 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Nice! This is great. Gary is cool, and nice job everyone. Ha, cool riffing brah! Its all about the pulloffs and uber integrated hands.

Sun Aug 17, 2014 11:50 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Gary is the coolest! Watching him play was a real treat......he really digs in. Love to see players "feel it" when they play......and this cat plays with conviction.

Oh ya............Jay Setar blew our collective hive minds away as well with his rock solid, kick ass, mawfuggen primary skins devastation,...... what a great drummer!

cheers,
kev

Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:21 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery