It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:27 am

Alternative Strings for NS/Stick 

Post Alternative Strings for NS/Stick
:D

Last edited by guitarra on Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:25 am, edited 2 times in total.

Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:21 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Alternative Strings for NS/Stick
guitarra wrote:
Some people may want to experiment with different string gauges.
Others (like me) may have had problems contacting Stick Enterprises and are looking for alternatives.

So why not buy a (8-string) set of bassguitar strings? Then there are two problems:
- the NS/Stick has only room for up to four bassguitar strings, the other four strings should have smaller ball-ends.
- the string windings are too long (this problem can be solved).

The easiest way is finding an alternative supplier of complete sets for tapping instruments.
Warrguitars.com offers several sets but I'm not sure if they fit perfectly on NS/Stick. And you need a credit card.
Kelstone.be (in Belgium) offers 9-string Pyramid sets. They fit perfectly. Heavy and Extra Heavy sets are in stock, but Medium and Light usually are not.

But if you want to have total control: find a place where you can buy separate strings, like Kaliumstrings.com

Bassguitar strings (3 or 4 of them): for 34" scale. total length can be cut to 41"(104 cm) or maybe less.
Remove a few inches of the winding yourself, the part of the string with windings should not be longer than 37"(94 cm). The thickest strings have double windings, the outer winding usually has the correct length.
The other 5 or 4 strings are guitar strings (as long as the're long enough).

Other ideas or suggestions? Or other addresses for strings?
:D

I don't recommend it. In a bind, I once broke an A string and tried several bass guitar stings I had and none of them sounded right or felt good. The best out of the bunch was a DR String, which leads me to believe the Stick strings may use a thinner core wire, but I'm not positive. That being said, I don't see what removing the outer winding will accomplish. Best bet is to use the phone during their business hours. I've never had an issue calling them.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:52 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

The only time I have heard of an alternate string working was on the highest string (bottom string). I think I heard that Don Schiff put on a thinner gauge so that he can hit a higher note when bending the string.

One of the things that make finding alternatives is that the gauge gets thinner (or thicker depending on which way you are going) faster than a normal bass or guitar. Emmett has put in a lot of testing time into this to get the best sound.

Personally I have not had any issues getting strings. I keep an extra set at all times so that if I have an emergency I have a back up. I always did all my transactions over email and paid by paypal.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Yeah, experimenting is great, or finding a better price or whatever, but it's pure FUD to claim problems reaching SE. Try reaching your cable company to resolve a billing issue. That's a problem. :)

SE is not like many larger businesses and they don't have a huge customer service staff. Call them, talk to Cambria and you'll have no problem getting strings. :)

♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫¸¸♬·¯·♩¸¸♪·¯·♫
Tarara 10-String #6300 DBR
Black Railboard #6594 BM

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:05 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

One thing that SE does encourage is experimenting.
I once tried a tuning where the tuning started with a Low E and had two G strings. EABGGCFBb.
The reason I did that was because I missed the higher tones that come from a G string and play it on the bass side.
Anyway... I used a G string from my extra set of strings. When I decided to go back to the standard tuning I tried to buy a string but they just sent me one for free. Yuta told me to "keep making music."

As much as I keep saying how perfect Emmett made the instrument and strings I also encourage people to keep experimenting.

I, personally, have done enough experimenting and just want to make music... :D

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I like how you kept saying G string. :)

Black Railboard #6594 BM

Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:19 pm

h3dg3h0g wrote:
Yeah, experimenting is great, or finding a better price or whatever, but it's pure FUD to claim problems reaching SE.

Don't worry, I didn't start this topic in order to complain about it.
It's not the subject.

(BTW: I searched for FUD, it means fear, uncertainty, doubt?)

:)

Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:13 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

guitarra wrote:
h3dg3h0g wrote:
Yeah, experimenting is great, or finding a better price or whatever, but it's pure FUD to claim problems reaching SE.

Don't worry, I didn't start this topic in order to complain about it.
It's not the subject.

(BTW: I searched for FUD, it means fear, uncertainty, doubt?)

:)

Yeah! :D With all due props and respect, my opinion is that folks tend to conflate two issues in these discussions about communicating and working with SE:

1) communicating with SE is problematic and
2) SE does not provide customer service and communication the way I want and expect.

2) is a personal feeling, and like all feelings, it is absolutely valid. Frankly, I share it. However, my experience suggests that 1) is not valid - one must simply accept 2) and move on. If you call and talk to Cambria and have a little patience, good things always follow.

Is it inconvenient? Of course it is. Is the customer always right? Of course! However, being right doesn't change reality. SE is unlikely to become an IT leader. I'd rather Emmett invest in getting more control over Railboard colors than he invest in a new website and email system. Think of poor Cambria's email! It's posted on the darn website. She probably gets 50,000 spam emails a day. Maybe her spam filter takes care of 90% - that's still 5,000 spam emails to wade through a day. Along with answering the phone and telling us to quit whining and wait until the next production run is finished. :)

Oh, that reminds me - I have to call Cambria about some stuff....

Black Railboard #6594 BM

Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:38 pm