It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

24th fret 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post 24th fret
Just a question to all the NS players out there. At the 24th fret, about how high off the fret board are your strings?

Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:09 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: 24th fret
Are you having issues with your NS?

I don't have anything to measure mine with...

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Sat Oct 04, 2014 11:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

in a pinch, use a common item, like a business card or credit card... that way you each have a reference.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:24 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

On the melody side, highest pitch sting I have a about two business cards worth of height. The bass side is higher.

At FHA 2014 I learned that there is a bit of a bow on the bass side.
If you are doing the truss adjustment by sight then us the melody side.

A while back I was adjusting my truss by site and used the bass side... Some of the melody strings were right against the neck... so I put the truss back.

Are you having issues with the NS? or Just curious?

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I've got almost a fourth of an inch from the top of the 24th fret to the bottom of the B,E,A, and D string. I really enjoy the upper register of the NS. Everything is still playable up there, just would prefer it to be a tad bit lower. Nothing like having Chris Squire aspirations, but being blessed with hamster sized hands. Gary had said that a truss adjustment probably wouldn't do so much up in that area.The only other option that I can think of, is to lower the bridge saddles a bit on the B,E,A, and D strings maybe and see what happens. The melody side is fine. Thanks for all the advice, it's GREATLY appreciated.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 11:22 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

My NS/Stick is optimized for tapping so my strings are ridiculously low.

I don't have anything to measure accurately enough (a feeler gauge would probably be best) but my highest pitch string is just a hair over 1/64 of an inch and my lowest pitched string is at 3/64". The is measured from the top of the 24th fret to the bottom of the string.

For the sake of comparison, my Grand's highest and lowest string are are at 1/64 and 2/64 respectively.

Sun Oct 05, 2014 3:24 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

not yet stick wrote:
I've got almost a fourth of an inch from the top of the 24th fret to the bottom of the B,E,A, and D string. I really enjoy the upper register of the NS. Everything is still playable up there, just would prefer it to be a tad bit lower. Nothing like having Chris Squire aspirations, but being blessed with hamster sized hands. Gary had said that a truss adjustment probably wouldn't do so much up in that area.The only other option that I can think of, is to lower the bridge saddles a bit on the B,E,A, and D strings maybe and see what happens. The melody side is fine. Thanks for all the advice, it's GREATLY appreciated.

Wow. !/4" sounds very high...

I played Don Schiff's NS/Stick a few weeks ago at FHA and I don't think his was that high. His was a little higher than mine but not that much.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:43 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I am by no means an expert on Sticks or NS', but I've done my fair share of Guitar setups and have played a bit with my NS. Here's how I simplify it in my head...assume you have a flat neck. If not, true it up with the truss rod. Truss rods are never for action adjustments In the guitar world and I'll say the same here. That said, at the nut end you have an adjustment screw. Raise/lower thwt until the string in question has an ever so slight clearance above the zero fret. Now, go to the bridge end and lower or raise that screw until you have the action you desire. Assure that each fret plays properly. A high fret will cause issues. Simpler to just adjust the string a hair higher than sand a fret. There a lot more to a proper set up, but that will at least help with your "action" issues short term. There's intonation and much more,

Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:11 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks Hawkeye53. My NS was setup at SE.,according to my request. I wanted it to be setup for the best of both worlds,( tapping and plucking). From the top of the 24th fret to the bottom of the B, E, A, and D strings is just about a quarter of an inch. Considering how I had mine setup, I'm not sure if a quarter of an inch is normal or a little high at the 24th fret. I did make sure the truss was straight, then tried lowering the bridge screws a few turns, but I didn't see any difference, and put them back to their starting position. I also realised that with lowering those strings, that I would probably have to lower the pickups as well. I'm just not ready to start messing around with that, so I'm trying to get used to the added effort way up there. I love the instrument, but I really love the upper register from the 12th fret onward. Thanks again to everyone for their advise,it's GREATLY appreciated.

Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:17 pm