It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:57 am

What should I do? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post What should I do?
Sooooooooooooooo we have no heat in our building. It's been 3 days now. I took the time about 3 weeks ago, to cover and seal every window with plastic. This situation has happened before. We have 2 space heaters. One is for the bedroom and the other is for my makeshift office/storage room/ NS stick practice room. It's still a little chilly in the room where my NS is stored, and we can't afford to have both space heaters running non stop. When I'm going to practice, I fire up the space heater and then turn it off when I'm through practicing. The questions are: Is it better for my NS to be stored in this somewhat cold room, or in the bedroom where it is warmer ??? If stored in the warm bedroom, it will be taken into the cold room for practicing. Even with the space heater, it's just barely warm enough. Practicing in the crowded bedroom is not an option. So far the neck seems unbelievably stable. I just want to try and avoid screwing it up in some way.We've gone weeks in the past with no heat. Which option is the lesser of the two evils??? Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:23 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: What should I do?
The warmest room is my suggestion.

Rosewood Alto #5764

Tue Dec 09, 2014 11:49 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Boy, that's rough - I feel for you. This is a hindsight suggestion, but at my place (which is not only my home, but where my business operates), we have a standby generator (permanently hooked up and comes on automatically when power goes out). It enables our home and business to remain functional when things go south - even in a state as heavily-wooded as ours. If long-lasting power loss is something that happens with some regularity where you're at, a generator might be worth looking into.
Anyway, I'm with Randy on this one. Yes, these instruments are very stable, and they survive plane trips quite well, and as long as their atmospheres don't radically change frequently they should be fine...but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Tue Dec 09, 2014 12:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks for all the help. I've moved the NS into the bedroom, well, actually into the bed. My wife has known for awhile that the NS was my other lover. Now, with everything out in the open, who knows what crazy things will happen?!!!! ........ Just kidding. Did I ever mention just how much I love our landlord ??? What a wonderful human being............... I will stop now. Thanks guys for all your help.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 2:51 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Given the choice I vote for the most stable environment. That will reduce the changes the instrument goes through. On the other hand I am guessing we are not talking about really radical changes in your home environment anyway.

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:00 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Keep it close to your body at all times!!

Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:27 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery