It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 am

Interior DBR on the NS 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Interior DBR on the NS
All the hubbub about DBR has got me wondering.

Any of you NS guys tried/trying this tuning? It seems to me like the ultimate hybrid of Classic Stick 5ths Bass and Standard bass 4ths.

Familiar two handed bass parts on the 5ths, familiar standard bass lines on the 4ths. This tuning concept really makes me lust after an NS

Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Interior DBR on the NS
I've only used the standard 4ths tuning on my NS, but when I think of split tunings, I can't help but think that 8 strings isn't enough for that. At least not if you apply the traditional Stick approach to it. Also that range would be a bit limiting. On the other hand, if you just want to treat it like a bass, that would work.

I'd love to hear from others who actually used or use a split tuning.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:05 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I wish it would be possible to make a 4+5 Stick with DBR. The bass side with standard 5th tuning and then the melody side tuned EADG with a little more spacing to do some more traditional bass guitar stuff. A 10 string grand would probably be close too, but I don't really want the extra C on the melody / bass in 4ths side. Also wondered what a EADG/EADG half fretted NS would be like. Kinda like a double neck, but on the same neck.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 4:49 pm

I tried interior DBR on my NS for a while, but wasn't too keen on it. Additionally, because of the way the tuners are set, I needed to transpose the entire tuning up a minor 3rd (so B became D, etc.). Honestly, it sounded kind of weak...

...I much prefer the Crafty tuning I am using now.

Best,
~Nick "Klaus" G.

Tue Feb 10, 2015 8:59 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I get how block chords in interior DBR would sound muddy if you're holding down a chord, spreading it out and jumping around with lines would surely be different.

Interior DBR, anyone with vids in this tuning ...please.. :?:

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Wed Feb 11, 2015 1:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

One of the ideas of the 5ths inverted tuning is to have a wider reach on one hand and play bass plus chords with one hand. With just four strings I don't know if you will be able to get a clear sounding chord without it sounding like chords played on a bass... unless that is what you are going for.
Of course, bass lines created in 5ths is different than 4ths. If your brain is creating 5th lines then it might be cool.

For me I hear 4ths lines. Probably because I played bass for so many years. So I stay with the standard 4th tuning.

If the 10strting stick is working for you I would stay with it. Make that your sound.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

AndyJPro wrote:
Any of you NS guys tried/trying this tuning? It seems to me like the ultimate hybrid of Classic Stick 5ths Bass and Standard bass

I tried it (the one now called "8-String NS/Stick Dual Bass Reciprocal" on stick.com tuning page) but, as an already Bassist & Stickist, I had some trouble because of the bridge and the different spaces between saddles of each part:
- string spacing is too short on the 4th part to play easily normal bass parts (especially slap)
- string spacing is too large on the 5th part to play easily "Stick LH things" (like arpeggios, bass+chords, two handed bass, etc.)

In both case it's uncomfortable.
It could be fine with a reversed (or left-handed) bridge. I don't know if SEI can make and sell a "mirror" bridge plate (as other components can be removables to place on this other plate)? If they can, I could be interested to come back to this tuning.

You can see what I mean about different string spacings on this picture:

#5162 10-string Maple Stick
#5743 Tinted Salmon Light Bamboo Grand Stick

AFSTG (Association Française du Stick et de la Tape Guitare)

Fri Feb 13, 2015 7:21 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yanlep wrote:
AndyJPro wrote:
Any of you NS guys tried/trying this tuning? It seems to me like the ultimate hybrid of Classic Stick 5ths Bass and Standard bass

I tried it (the one now called "8-String NS/Stick Dual Bass Reciprocal" on stick.com tuning page) but, as an already Bassist & Stickist, I had some trouble because of the bridge and the different spaces between saddles of each part:
- string spacing is too short on the 4th part to play easily normal bass parts (especially slap)
- string spacing is too large on the 5th part to play easily "Stick LH things" (like arpeggios, bass+chords, two handed bass, etc.)

In both case it's uncomfortable.
It could be fine with a reversed (or left-handed) bridge. I don't know if SEI can make and sell a "mirror" bridge plate (as other components can be removables to place on this other plate)? If they can, I could be interested to come back to this tuning.

Ah I hadn't considered that. Hopefully something like that is/does become available.

Not considering replacing my current Stick with an NS, just intrigued by the potential that maybe someday could give it a swing. Thanks for the insight! Still would be cool to hear a clip of someone playing this tuning, though

Fri Feb 13, 2015 12:09 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

AndyJPro wrote:
Still would be cool to hear a clip of someone playing this tuning, though

In an old post of mine (http://stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4536) I put this video:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UxZGnld93bA[/youtube]

#5162 10-string Maple Stick
#5743 Tinted Salmon Light Bamboo Grand Stick

AFSTG (Association Française du Stick et de la Tape Guitare)

Sat Feb 14, 2015 8:44 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Oh! I remember seeing this, probably why I forgot about this thought in the first place!

Jack of all trades is a master of none I suppose, huh? (Although, I can't say this phrase hasn't stopped me from trying to divert my attention to so many different things in the past)

Sun Feb 15, 2015 1:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery