It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:25 pm

NS in 30" scale? 

Post NS in 30" scale?
I emailed the contact email from the web site, but since there's no telling how long it will take for a response, I wanted to get an opinion here. Are they amenable to building a short scale NS, at 30" like a short scale bass? Or are they simply not set up to provide regular buyers this option, except perhaps at a very high custom price (which I can't do)?

Sat Feb 14, 2015 9:10 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: NS in 30" scale?
I don't know if they would want to do this or not. Years ago, I ordered a half fretless NS and if memory serves they needed to send out the work for the neck of the instrument to someone else. I don't remember if the option cost much more but it did take considerably longer for the order to be complete. Many of the options available for any of the Stick family of instruments seem to still be based of a standard template for the bodies. You can get different materials, different frets, tuners, string gauges, pick ups, tunings--mostly superficial differences for production purposes.

On the other hand, for the more familiar Stick models, you can get 10 string, 12 string(Grand), 10 string Grand, Railboard, Alto Stick, SG-12, and I think an 8 string bass. Maybe they could understand an interest in a 30 inch scale NS.

If smaller is the order of the day for what ever reason, you might check out the SG-12. I just got one and love it. It still gets pretty low--I think a 4th or 5th below the lowest note of a cello, and the scale length is around 27 inches I believe. It may take longer to adjust to than an NS stick if you are a bassist. Though Eric the Grey has his bass side tuned in inverted 4ths instead of 5ths I think (don't quote me on that, I only met him one time, but do remember something considered unusual at the time about his tuning-works great for him though, if you've ever had a chance to hear him play). That would be more what you are used to if you come from bass or guitar background.

Where are you located? If it is convenient to call, that will get your questions answered sooner.

Mike

Sun Feb 15, 2015 8:38 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I sorta doubt that's gonna happen but just go ahead and give them a call if you want to get a quick answer. You could get an Alto and string it up in 4ths like an NS but you might have trouble playing it like a regular bass the way you can with an NS.

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:03 pm

Can Alto be set up to play and sound well with a bass guitar's low E?

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:45 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

JimmyTheSaint2 wrote:
Can Alto be set up to play and sound well with a bass guitar's low E?

The lowest Alto tuning is Bob's Expanded Alto tuning. I think I remember that the Alto has the same scale length as the SG12, which would mean that the lowest note it can support is the G below that A (in other words, the G above the E you want).

Sun Feb 15, 2015 3:56 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

To St. Jim of the 2nd Level, yes, it can be done and wouldn't be a hard job. I'd just chop off two frets at the headless end, hand work the cutaways and fastener holes for the nut and flip-on damper, also shorten the truss rod.

We've got unmarked bolt-on necks in wenge and dark bamboo, so I can easily reposition the dots to a shorter guitar pattern.

You might also consider a capo at the 2nd fret position, possibly with its own flip-down damper.

Which will it be, flip or clip?

Wed Feb 18, 2015 5:23 pm

BSharp wrote:
To St. Jim of the 2nd Level, yes, it can be done and wouldn't be a hard job.

Whoa, that's a surprise: I assumed that it wasn't feasible, so I didn't even try calling the company. I also figured at best it would be a custom job of prohibitive cost, and I didn't want to waste their time if I wasn't prepared to plunk down serious cash. How much of a premium would I have to pay for such a custom job?

Definitely clip over flip.

Another customization question, which I presume would be more involved, costly, and time consuming, and so not worth it: is it possible to reduce the fingerboard to 21 (or even 20) frets and move the neck pickups that much farther toward the nut? My main goal here is to make a bigger space between the neck and bridge pickups because I find that more ergonomic for the way I slap bass. I think the tone change wouldn't matter to me, and might be desirable in some cases.

By the way, the only reason I've switched to 30" bass is for ergonomic reasons to make it less likely for my tendinitis to flare up. Otherwise, I'd have asked about a 34"==>28" fanned fret customization.

Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:58 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Wow Jimmy,

Have you tried a standard NS yet? With all of these variations from standard you are thinking, it might be worth it for a road trip. I don't think you are really challenging E. Chapman aka BSharp, but it might be worthy to at least try what he and NS arrived at as the solution before you go entirely rewriting it.

Food for thought.

Daniel

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Thu Feb 19, 2015 4:50 am

Incredible!--I didn't realize that was a reply from Emmett himself. I bought my first new Stick in 1983 (Brazilian Ironwood #1045) after seeing a couple of King Crimson shows at Detroit bars on their Discipline tour. Then I bought a new polycarbonate one in 1989. I exchanged letters with you, by the way, back in 1983 when I had questions about technique. Pre-web, handwritten snail mail, and I still have the letter.

Since then, I've developed quite a propensity for tendinitis when playing bass. People have helped me with that ad nauseam over at Talk Bass, so I won't go down that road here. Suffice it to say, I've been through tons of high- and low-end gear, including many unusual pieces (like a Barker bass). Additionally, I've had extensive formal training on wind instruments and piano so that I know how to approach technique to minimize the possibility of physical problems.

I've been considering an NS Stick for 10 years, but only just hit upon the idea of reducing the scale length. Customized pickup placement and fretboard length lower the risk a bit by ameliorating somewhat the things my tendons complain about, but it's a gamble for me in any case. Conventionally shaped short scale basses, however, also began to give me too much trouble, so I either pay a fortune for a highly customized short scale (which is still a low-percentage play), or give the NS Stick a trial. Great excuse to finally try one out because it's always looked like a hell of a lot of fun to me, and it's kind of my last shot at returning to bass guitar. But putting one in my hands for an hour, or even a few days, wouldn't help--it takes 2-6 months to find my daily time limit with a given instrument before tendinitis starts knocking at the door. What's more, I live in a location overseas from the U.S., so there's no choice but to try one sight unseen. I lived in the SF Bay area for a long time, but Stick Enterprises had already re-located from Sebastopol.

Thu Feb 19, 2015 7:01 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi JimmyTheSaint2,

Where are you located?
Maybe we can find someone in your area with an NS/Stick.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:48 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery