It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:55 am

Learning material for the NS/Stick 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Learning material for the NS/Stick
EricTheGray wrote:
...Of course Greg would be a great teacher of the NS/Stick too! I should have thought of that. He is also probably more available. Either way, it's great that we have some of the top players and teachers offering this. If you have good internet you should give it a try.

-Eric

Actually Eric, my impression was also that Greg had sworn off teaching on other instruments for a variety of reasons relating mainly to ergonomics and tuning. I would have thought this included the NS/Stick, which many of us consider more of a ERB guitar than a Stick..?

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:51 pm

greg wrote:
In StaffTab we decided to write everything using the guitar and bass convention of writing everything one octave above the actual pitch to avoid ledger lines under the staff. I'll be curious to hear how you find reading the notation. Please let me know.

Will do. To be honest, I'm still trying to speculate as to how I'm gonna translate the material from Stick to NS/Stick, seeing as to how different the setups are. And I'm still very far from getting my NS/Stick. I've placed my order but since it's a half fretless it might take as long as six months :cry:

Sun Oct 19, 2008 11:11 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

shaunkara wrote:
greg wrote:
In StaffTab we decided to write everything using the guitar and bass convention of writing everything one octave above the actual pitch to avoid ledger lines under the staff. I'll be curious to hear how you find reading the notation. Please let me know.

Will do. To be honest, I'm still trying to speculate as to how I'm gonna translate the material from Stick to NS/Stick, seeing as to how different the setups are. And I'm still very far from getting my NS/Stick. I've placed my order but since it's a half fretless it might take as long as six months :cry:

Actually 6 months is half as long as the common wait for a traditional Stick. It's painful ... but worth the wait!! Do you have a 6 string bass guitar?? If you do you have 6 out of the 8 strings tuning wise that you will have with the NS so if you lower the action as much as possible and get a very thin gage string you can actually start figuring out two hand NS Stick tapping patterns while you wait. The NS Stick is like a stereo "8 string bass" and amazingly low action which is set up perfect for two hand tapping. And the thin melody strings sound like "guitar strings" not thin bass strings.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:06 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

88persuader wrote:
Actually 6 months is half as long as the common wait for a traditional Stick. It's painful ... but worth the wait!! Do you have a 6 string bass guitar?? If you do you have 6 out of the 8 strings tuning wise that you will have with the NS so if you lower the action as much as possible and get a very thin gage string you can actually start figuring out two hand NS Stick tapping patterns while you wait. The NS Stick is like a stereo "8 string bass" and amazingly low action which is set up perfect for two hand tapping. And the thin melody strings sound like "guitar strings" not thin bass strings.

Six months is torture. Can't imagine waiting for a year. I'd have no fingers left from biting them out of frustration...

Regarding tapping, I own a six string and I already play some tapping on it. I've started experimenting a little bit too. However, I can't lower the action that much cos I use the bass on a regular basis with my band and it wouldn't be practical for me.

Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:05 am
Profile My Photo Gallery