It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 11:43 pm

Learning material for the NS/Stick 

Post Learning material for the NS/Stick
I'll be ordering my NS/Stick anytime now. I'm waiting for a reply from SE regarding some questions I have, then it's "BUY" time 8-) . And by the way, thanks a lot for all the support and feedback you've given me. It has helped immensely in choosing what I believe is the right instrument for me.

Now I need some more advice regarding tuition material. I've read the thread with the poll for the favorite book/DVD. I just might get the whole bunch. My main concern is that since there is no specific resource for the NS/Stick, I might be overwhelmed with all the material and just go haywire. Can anyone here recommend a good study progression to follow? Maybe a book that relates more to the NS/Stick way than the others. I know there's Don Schiff's book that's a works-in-progress on the site and it should give me a good backbone. But where next? Should I buy all the resources or is it overkill?

Thanks a lot.
Be well,

Cedric
PS Can't wait for my Cherry (dyed cherry) NS/Stick to be here :D

Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:26 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Learning material for the NS/Stick
shaunkara wrote:
I'll be ordering my NS/Stick anytime now. I'm waiting for a reply from SE regarding some questions I have, then it's "BUY" time 8-) . And by the way, thanks a lot for all the support and feedback you've given me. It has helped immensely in choosing what I believe is the right instrument for me.

Now I need some more advice regarding tuition material. I've read the thread with the poll for the favorite book/DVD. I just might get the whole bunch. My main concern is that since there is no specific resource for the NS/Stick, I might be overwhelmed with all the material and just go haywire. Can anyone here recommend a good study progression to follow? Maybe a book that relates more to the NS/Stick way than the others. I know there's Don Schiff's book that's a works-in-progress on the site and it should give me a good backbone. But where next? Should I buy all the resources or is it overkill?

Thanks a lot.
Be well,

Cedric

We're ALL trail blazers here Cedric! I'd order some of Don's CDs where the NS is the featured instrument. Gary Gibilian has a good CD available that's basically NS Stick with a drummer with a very different "empty but still busy" aproach to the instrument. A lot of single note two hand work more then chordal type playing. There's a LOT more information available for the traditional Stick HOWEVER what you already know as a bass player will translate DIRECTLY to the NS Stick so you're own hands on learning and bass player experience can bring you a long way. I also recommend watching ALL the videos available for both NS Stick AND Stick. Because the melody strings on a traditional Stick are tuned in acending 4ths all the melody hand exercises created for the traditional Stick will translate to the entire NS Stick. So looking at it that way ALL the traditional Stick material does translate to the NS Stick. Just focus on the melody string work and ignore the inverted 5ths bass exercises.

Like the vast majority of people who came to the Stick and NS Stick from a bass player/guitarist background I was (and am) very at home with the tuning of the NS Stick and you will be as well. I think the NS Stick is the PERFECT next step in the evolution of the bass guitar allowing bass players to becomes well rounded FULL contributers in the musical landscape. That being said the traditional Stick IMO is THE NEXT STEP in the evolution of stringed musical instruments all together. After you get a taste of the NS Stick I fully expect you to be telling us months from now you're ordering a traditional Stick. :-) ......... You know what they say ... Once you go Stick you never go back! :-) ... lol

So keep asking questions, buy as much listening material as you can, ask DON Shiff questions directly. He's a great guy and loves to answer questions one on one via e-mail about the NS Stick, and study all the videos on Stick.com and youtube. And WELCOME to this musical madness called The Stick!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Don Schiff will give lessons through Skype. If you have stable, high-speed internet access this would be a great way to get going fast. I have had Skype sessions with people in France and Portugal and it worked well.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:23 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

shaunkara wrote:

Thanks a lot.
Be well,

Cedric

Hi Cedric,

Since your right hand will be playing over 4ths, you can apply all of the melody exercises in anyone's material to your new instrument, but you'll need to make a few adjustments. If you are getting your NS in the straight 4ths tuning starting with Low B, you can use either the Baritone Melody version of my book or the Matched Reciprocal version.

To use the Baritone Melody you would need to play everything one fret lower than indicated, for the MR you would play everything 2 frets higher. I think the Baritone Melody would be the better choice in this regard, and I'd recommend using the CD so you can tell if you are making the changes correctly.

there are some ways to adapt the left hand parts as well, which I'll be happy to post about when you have the book in hand as it's easier to explain when you can see it.

Any of you who are playing the SB8 can do the same.

Have fun with your new ax when it comes.

PS, I'm no Don Schiff, but I also teach via Skype. pm me if you are interested.

Mon Oct 13, 2008 6:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Hi Cedric

A couple of bits of advice. Don't wait for a response via email, call them on the phone and get instant gratification!

I have had a Blue NS on order for a few months, and last week I was offered a Cherry dyed Cherry one that would be ready within a month. I decided to wait a bit longer and get the one I ordered. If you are quick you may be able to get this one and bypass much of the 4 to 6 month build period, though I do imagine that they have offered it to other people who are waiting. It was only Saturday that I told them I would rather wait so it may still be uncommitted.

Good Luck

Evan

Mon Oct 13, 2008 8:15 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:

PS, I'm no Don Schiff, but I also teach via Skype. pm me if you are interested.

Whoops! Faux pas time for Eric!

Of course Greg would be a great teacher of the NS/Stick too! I should have thought of that. He is also probably more available. Either way, it's great that we have some of the top players and teachers offering this. If you have good internet you should give it a try.

-Eric

Mon Oct 13, 2008 9:00 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Guys, thank you so much for all the backup. What a great family this is. I can't wait to finally get my credentials!!! By the way, I played piano for seven years prior to switching to bass so I can read notation well (although I'm out of practice when it comes to sight reading). If the books offer standard notation I should have no problem interpreting the language. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!

PS Can anyone tell me what time zone Stick Enterprises are in? I don't want to call them at some ungodly hour. :lol:

Mon Oct 13, 2008 3:58 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

shaunkara wrote:
PS Can anyone tell me what time zone Stick Enterprises are in? I don't want to call them at some ungodly hour. :lol:

They are in Pacific: UTC -7

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

EricTheGray wrote:
They are in Pacific: UTC -7

Thank you :D

Mon Oct 13, 2008 5:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

shaunkara wrote:
Guys, thank you so much for all the backup. What a great family this is. I can't wait to finally get my credentials!!! By the way, I played piano for seven years prior to switching to bass so I can read notation well (although I'm out of practice when it comes to sight reading). If the books offer standard notation I should have no problem interpreting the language. Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait!!

Hi Cedric,

In StaffTab we decided to write everything using the guitar and bass convention of writing everything one octave above the actual pitch to avoid ledger lines under the staff. I'll be curious to hear how you find reading the notation. Please let me know.

Thu Oct 16, 2008 5:07 am
Profile My Photo Gallery