It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:36 am

Return Policy 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Return Policy
By now everyone knows that I'm selling my NS Stick. What would you say is a fair return policy? 10 day return, buyer pays to ship and insures it the same way that it arrived to them ? I'll be taking pictures of my NS and holding up a newspaper with the date clearly shown, at the point of shipment, just for extra precaution. I really don't want the NS doing a lot of traveling back and forth. Hopefully any potential buyer will have tried an NS before going forward with the purchase. Thanks everyone for all the advice.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:50 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Return Policy
Avoid any gray area. Typically, unless you arrange it with the buyer, "all sales are final." The only time I would make an exception would be if I knew that the instrument had an issue (or issues) and I fully disclosed it to the buyer.
If you're selling it in good to excellent condition, then don't offer a return policy on it. You'll avoid anyone trying it and then giving up too soon and asking you for their money back.

http://www.facebook.com/LucBergeronMusic

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks Luc, I was rethinking the 10 day return. That could be setting myself up for a REALLY BAD situation. Thanks again.

Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:27 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I agree 100% with Luc. Unless somehow the seller can prove you misrepresented the condition of the instrument, all sales are final.

I have bought and sold thousands of dollars worth of instruments and gear in my life, used, and I think every sale was under that one main condition.

You will sell that axe fast, don't set yourself up for a big mess.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:43 am
Profile My Photo Gallery

Yeah, unless there is something wrong that you haven't disclosed (which seems unlikely) I don't think you have anything to worry about.
;)

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm on the on the opposite side of the spectrum on this.

I don't think there is anything to lose by offering a short return policy. Something like 3 or 5 days. Just enough for the buyer to inspect the instrument.
Giving a return policy shows the customer you are confident in the product description and that if there is any questions or concerns you will work with them on it.

You can be pretty sure that the buyer has already done their homework on the instrument. They are parting with thousands of dollars up front and pay for the shipping which isn't cheap either. If they want to return it they have to pay for shipping again and wait for you to inspect it and then return the money.

Even if you say "all sales are final" they can contest the purchase with their credit card company, or Paypal, and freeze the money. "Final" doesn't mean "final." For me "all sales final" is okay when buying in a store where I can inspect and test everything before buying. Even at used car sales you have the opportunity to have the car inspected by whoever you want before taking the car. However, online you don't have the opportunity to inspect anything.

With a return policy you can probably ask for more money because you are giving the buyer confidence in the product. I would pay a little more if the seller has a return policy because I know I won't have to fight them incase there is something wrong with my purchase.

In summary...
1. you have nothing to lose by offering a return policy.
2. "Final" doesn't mean "final" and can be more of a headache...
3. Get more money by offering a return policy peace of mind.

I've done many sales on line and have always offered a return policy and worked out great for me.

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:53 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

An NS/Stick is a rare instrument. People may abuse the return policy just for an opportunity to try one. Compare that to selling a Stratocastor and ... well, just my 2 cents.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:40 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks everybody.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:53 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

rwkeating wrote:
An NS/Stick is a rare instrument. People may abuse the return policy just for an opportunity to try one. Compare that to selling a Stratocastor and ... well, just my 2 cents.

I have a hard time believing that someone will risk thousands of dollars just to try one...

Buyer is taking all the risk. They may freeze the transaction but there will be an investigation.
Have a clear return policy. Document everything with pictures and receipts, tracking numbers, etc. If you meet that one person who is trying to take advantage of you then you will prevail when you take the proper precautions. Sure, it's a pain, a minor inconvenience, but the chances of it happening is slim to none.

I would offer the return policy and make more money on the deal. Have a happy buyer and maybe make a new friend.

Anyone want to buy some gear from me? :lol:

NS/Stick - Prototype #2
Started 11/24/2012

http://www.GreenElephantStudio.com
Now Selling - MOD DUO, Tech21, Ebtech, KMI, Earasers, IsoAcoustics

Subscribe to the NS/Stick YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/NSSTICK

Sun Jun 07, 2015 12:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

I didn't mean to imply that someone would buy it to try it just on a whim. I meant that someone may return it because they tried it and didn't like it. In my mind, that's not what the return policy (in this case) is for. It should be used in case the instrument wasn't as advertised.

I probably shouldn't have wrote "just for an opportunity..." in my original post.

Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:11 pm