It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

Does the NS/Stick body wood make a difference in sound? 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Does the NS/Stick body wood make a difference in sound?
I believe that the wood does make a difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRCIicyETNk

When a string vibrates, it functions like a tuning fork.
The vibration transfers everywhere and will influence the pickup.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:59 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

WerkSpace,

Please take amendment that all Stick pickups are isolated from wood in separate housing.

My additionally have a little rubber pads. Everything to prevent crosstalk between bass and treble sides.

Of course NS Stick has a different structure.

10-String Deep Baritone Melody Padouk Stick #351 with XXL MIDI & Stickup
12-String Matched Reciprocal XG Grand Stick #5428 with dual MIDI & PASV-4
10-String Deep (-3 semitones) Standard Tarara Alto Stick #5689 with MIDI & Stickup

Mon Jul 06, 2015 7:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

The reason, as I understand it, that Sticks have relatively low difference in sound quality from different woods, is that they have such low string tension. NS Sticks also have very low tension. Even in bolt-on or glue-on bass guitars and guitars, if the neck contact point has some gap, the effect of body wood is much reduced. That being said, if someone were to use high quality gear, matching string for string, it might be possible for an exceptional listener or machine detector to hear a difference. Usually Stick and NS Stick players use a lot of signal processing, making this difference insignificant.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:53 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

It makes sense that the sound of all string instruments would be effected by the material that the instrument is made from. The question then becomes can you hear the difference and if so, is it a big enough difference to be concerned with.

It is impossible to isolate the vibration of the string so that it doesn't interact with the rest of the instrument. It is that interaction that effects frequencies (reflecting some and absorbing others) and that is the way the material and construction of the instrument effects the tone.

So I'm going to say that my NS/Stick is on the bright (high frequency) side due to the bamboo neck and the maple body.

Of course this all loses its importance and soon as you apply EQ, distortion, reverb, play into a non-flat frequency amp/cabinet, crank the NS active EQ and play at a bar with brick walls to a drunk audience that is clinking glasses, talking to each other and not even listening to you :)

Mon Jul 06, 2015 11:31 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

rwkeating wrote:
Of course this all loses its importance and soon as you apply EQ, distortion, reverb, play into a non-flat frequency amp/cabinet, crank the NS active EQ and play at a bar with brick walls to a drunk audience that is clinking glasses, talking to each other and not even listening to you :)

That is an exceedingly healthy way to look at it. :lol:

Mon Jul 06, 2015 10:32 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Robstafarian wrote:
rwkeating wrote:

That is an exceedingly healthy way to look at it. :lol:

Then you need to take into account if you're going into a front end sound system and who's running the sound system. Do they know the tone YOU are looking for? Is the sound system capable of making the tone you're looking for? In my experience the front end sound seldom sounds like what I'm hearing on stage or what I'm going for. In my vast experience as a working musician (mainly on bass, keys or drums) MY TONE seldom makes its way to the ears of the listeners. So the SMALL difference in tone woods in the real world is a non-issue. The ONLY time you can really hear the difference in tone woods (IMO) is in the studio, in your home or when playing acoustically. Do something as simple as playing in a different room and your tone changes.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Tue Jul 07, 2015 3:25 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I watched this movie on Netflix last night.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2492916/
It has a lot to do with tone. Highly recommended.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Tue Jul 07, 2015 7:46 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Without owning a NS myself I definitely agree with 88persuader that a bolt on body, like the NS has, tends to affect string vibration envelopes more than in an all through neck instrument.

I dont't believe that the wood in an SG12 affects the sound - I'm hearing that it does! My Bamboo sounds more interresting (to my taste) with the Fractal Audio amp, that is a high end box that allows you to dig in on every detail to articulate all subtle dynamics in an instrument's output signal. The Wenge, on the other hand, sounds better through a low end amp and cab; it kind of delivers a more firm tone that translates into a more consistantly "singing" sound on such an amp. So I have logically gravitated to using the Wenge for outdoors street busking and the Bamboo for studio recordings and indoors "AxeFxII+GENELEC" gigs.

If I would ever be able to buy a NS I assume that a Bamboo neck on a mahogany body would best match my taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Last edited by Per Boysen on Thu Jul 23, 2015 8:10 am, edited 2 times in total.

Thu Jul 23, 2015 2:12 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

rwkeating wrote:
...The question then becomes can you hear the difference and if so, is it a big enough difference to be concerned with....

...right, that's indeed the question, is it worth to play a stradivari violin for $5'000'000
or can you make music on a carbonate violin for $2'500?...
....is it possible to hear the difference of the price?...
....and don't forget, it will never sound like a trumpet for example.... :!:

rwkeating wrote:
...Of course this all loses its importance and soon as you apply EQ, distortion, reverb, play into a non-flat frequency amp/cabinet, crank the NS active EQ...

...yes, and more, it loses importance because tha playing is not done in your bathroom, but in a pub, in a church, in a concert hall, whatever....

rwkeating wrote:
... play at a bar with brick walls to a drunk audience that is clinking glasses, talking to each other and not even listening to you...

...the hardest of all, can't imagine a worse situation if you are talkinand nobody is interested in what your telling....

....I'm playing on three sticks 10string MR light, and medium gauge,
and a grand stick graphite 12string classic. four different sounds, different materials,
but each of them is brings the same universe of music to me, and of course none of them
sounds like a trumpet f.ex. ... :) ;) ...

Thu Jul 23, 2015 6:59 am