It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:44 pm

NS/Stick, The UnBoxening 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: NS/Stick, The UnBoxening
bachdois wrote:
Wow! Great video Steve! And the ns... just beautiful! Congrats man!

Thanks, Rodrigo! I'm very happy with it!

kevin-c wrote:
69' days dude!......eheh.....
Congrats bro!

Cheers,
Kev

I was just going to use the one Bill and Ted quote "Excellent" but then "69, dude!" seemed appropriate. My kids did not get the Bill and Ted references at all. Or the significance of "69," but thankfully no one asked Papa to explain what "69" was all about. #awkward

MichNS wrote:
Glad they shipped it to the correct Steve in SE Mich :) Outside of you, Jeff, and I, I believe there are two other guys that either have or sold NS Sticks in the Wayne, Oakland, Macomb area. Used to be one more when Gary lived in Ferndale.

After reading Mate Tate's FB post on picks, I've been buying up a variety of Dunlops and a few SD Brain's. No gathering at Oz's tomorrow night, but next time I'll bring the batch out for you to try.

No Stick night this month? That's too bad! we haven't had one in the last couple of months. I can't wait to show you and the rest of the guys the NS and compare notes! And I'd love to try out some picks. That's a completely new area for me as well. Thanks, Steve! And how awesome that there are several NS/Stick Steves as well!

AnDroiD wrote:
I don't know how anyone has time to set up a camera when a Stick comes thru the door...

Forethought and planning! When I got the shipping notification, I went into overdrive to get the practice room ready for a video. The camera was setup and ready on Friday when the package hit my local post office, and then sat there for the whole weekend. It arrived around 2:15 in the afternoon on Monday, but was put on the truck for delivery at 6:15 in the morning. So I was ready at 6:15 and waited all day by the door for the UPS man to come. I wanted to get the delivery truck in the video, and I had to keep stalking the front door and window for several hours. Finally I gave up and played video games. And just happened to see the truck parked down the street while the guy sorted through stuff, or scratched, or ate his lunch or whatever. He was there for about 20 minutes and then drove the 20 feet further down to my house, where I filmed him taking it off the truck.

I could have waited another hour for my son to come home and help me with the video. That was far beyond my self control. But the camera had been set up for the whole weekend and I just popped my cellphone into a mount for a second overhead-and-to-the-right view. And sat down and opened up the box for the camera.

I cut out thirty minutes of me noodling on it without it plugged in. And then had to film the last part of it later on, when I found out that I forgot to finish looking in the pouch for the rest of the stuff.

So yeah, I wouldn't have been able to wait to set everything up first before opening the box, but knowing that about myself, I planned ahead and set up when the shipping notified me it was in Michigan. "Know Thy Limitations and Plan Ye Around Them" is still probably my best and most useful Sink's Law.

I'm glad I did the video. I've gotten an amazing amount of people tell me that they want one now! I want a half-fretted one, too, but maybe that will be next year!

Thanks, Guys!

Page 2 bump

Here's what I put on Youtube:
Quote:
Chapman Stick makes an 8-string guitar-bass called an "NS/Stick" that can be tapped, strummed, and picked like a guitar or bass and plays like a Chapman Stick. Watch a new ebony-stained wenge-on-wenge NS/Stick called "Lord Vader" be delivered, UnBoxed, and played with. 69 days from order to door!

NS/Stick UnBoxening

Relevant info:
Ebony-stained wenge body with wenge neck, white pearl guitar dots, black strap with inner brown liner, 8 heavy-gauge strings tuned bass 4ths, serial number and date of manufacture of 170130. 69 days from order to door.

--NS/S/SS

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:46 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

paigan0 wrote:
I'm glad I did the video. I've gotten an amazing amount of people tell me that they want one now! I want a half-fretted one, too, but maybe that will be next year!

Yeah thanks alot I want one now you suck.

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
paigan0 wrote:

Ha! :D Blame Dean (Skydiver) and his NS/Stick channel! It put the NS-GAS into me! And then Jeremy Cubert! And Don Schiff! And Dr. Froth! And Russel Keating! And especially Steve Balogh (MichNS) showing me his new wenge NS/Stick at Ann Arbor Stick Night. All those NS/Stick guys rocking it out in metal bands also told me that the NS/Stick can rock it out, as well as do much of what a "regular" Stick can do.

But the dealmaker for me--honestly and truthfully--was that it was only going to take "about a month or so, depending on options." If I had known the wait would be longer than a couple of months, I might not have pulled the trigger. I also got an unexpected bonus and raise at work this year and thought I should spend it on a new Stick. And my first two Sticks put the love of those fat bass strings into me, and now I'm hooked on bass. And the NS/Stick!

But really, I can trace it all back to Dean and his NS/Stick channel. Seeing one and hearing about it in great detail from Dean, as he walks you through the 5 reasons why he chose the NS/Stick, was very enlightening to me. I can't post it here at work but maybe I'll find the link later, or Dean can chime in with it.

So, Marty! As Don Schiff and Dean Kobayashi both told me "Come over to the Dark Side!" (And thus another reason why I named mine "Lord Vader." :geek: )

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
paigan0 wrote:

Sounds like we need to flood this forum with more NS videos :twisted:

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Thu Feb 16, 2017 12:47 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

paigan0 wrote:
No Stick night this month? That's too bad! we haven't had one in the last couple of months. I can't wait to show you and the rest of the guys the NS and compare notes! And I'd love to try out some picks. That's a completely new area for me as well. ...

Just got back from the guitar group, Oz is doing quite well, the room is heavily booked this month, another band is using this for the next month until they go back to China (U of M Students I believe). I also sold two small amps on consignment within the last week that's been there since Christmas. Perhaps I can find an alternate closer that's cheap. Being an IMBA/MMBA member I might be able to locate something at a State Park for cheap. I know several mountain bikers who are also musicians, and Jim Todd just bought a fat bike recently also. Maybe tie in a ride and jam somewhere.

I never got an answer back from Rolling Hills in Ypsilanti, Oz and I were looking at using the building after a winter mountain biking event but the manager never responded to the guy putting it on.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:53 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I don't know if this has ever been addressed and im too lazy to search. Is the string tension lower on the NS, like the Stick? Or is like bass and guitar? I detune my bass and just make up lowered tunings on my "experimental" guitars. See, i like to tap...(and pluck, slap, timbale sticks)

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:42 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
I don't know if this has ever been addressed and im too lazy to search. Is the string tension lower on the NS, like the Stick? Or is like bass and guitar? I detune my bass and just make up lowered tunings on my "experimental" guitars. See, i like to tap...(and pluck, slap, timbale sticks)

E,A,D, and G Gage's are about .080, .060, .040, and .030"; like tossing out a normal bass guitar e and then using the next highest string instead, so the tension is lower

Graphite Grand Stick MR
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:51 am

I'm planning on getting an NS/Stick unless something unforseen pops up. I'm interested in playing around with the tuning. I'd start with the 'base' setup (b open for lowest pitch string) with a guitar interval because I think that might give the most options for strumming the bottom four strings. I play guitar, so moving from 4ths to guitar interval shouldn't be a big deal and it might be something I switch back forth on depending on what I am playing.

That said, I'm also interested in raising the pitch of the entire stick. Kris started a thread on raising it to E-A-D-G-C-F-Bb-Eb tuning and got a string from Stick Enterprises to raise the highest string up that much. I'd probably do a "D" with that first (lowest pitch) string, so the stick would be three half steps up in tuning. I almost never play below that low D on the stick and the extra wiggle room might be nice.

Curious on if I would be able to move between the basic guitar interval tuning and tuned up three half steps across the board with the "default" set of heavy gauge strings.

Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:20 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

MichNS wrote:
Just got back from the guitar group, Oz is doing quite well, the room is heavily booked this month, another band is using this for the next month until they go back to China (U of M Students I believe). I also sold two small amps on consignment within the last week that's been there since Christmas.[...]

Good for Steve-O that business is booming! I like to see good things happen for good people. Also, Steve-B, good job on getting rid of some old stuff--now you can get even more NEW stuff!

We'll get together eventually. And Interlochen will be here before you know it. Speaking of, I gotta get my reservation in!

--Steve-S (we gotta keep all these Stickist Steves straight!)

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm signed up for Interlochen now so barring some sort of surprise I"ll be there with my "Peach-burst" NS. I haven't been able to make a Stick Night at Oz's in quite a while but hopefully I'll get back into the scene fairly soon. . . .

--Jeff

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:03 am
Profile My Photo Gallery