It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:04 am

... the decision not to make videos/recordings 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: ... the decision not to make videos/recordings
Interesting topic actually. I used to have a saying that basically said the only difference between a public performer and a bedroom player is that the public performer has the kind of ego that thinks people give a crap about what he/she has to say :D

I have to say though ... the classical world is definitely a little different (polite term for snooty and brutal). Everyone is an expert and ready to jump into the comments section pontificating about everything you're doing wrong. A few years ago I finally opted to put up some home shot videos of some classical piano but only after realizing that I'm not a concert pianist, never claimed to be a concert pianist, don't plan on becoming a concert pianist, and couldn't care less about the strangers who think my performances weren't up to par.

With that said though, I think the classical schooling background does a good job of teaching you how to prepare for performance.

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Video is a great way to share idea, and a lousy way to give a concert. My two cents...

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
Video is a great way to share idea, and a lousy way to give a concert. My two cents...
I agree completely. Although I've seen videos of great concerts, nothing beats being there. And video is a great medium to share ideas. And for teaching, I would assume. I've been in 4 group Skype lessons for Stick and learned a lot. And YouTube videos are a great resource for the learning musician. I've not tried to teach by video, but I have ESL friends who are still in the biz and who do conversational English classes over the internet and others who teach English creative writing classes and tutor online.
gpoorman wrote:
I used to have a saying that basically said the only difference between a public performer and a bedroom player is that the public performer has the kind of ego that thinks people give a crap about what he/she has to say
Ha! :lol:
And
gpoorman wrote:
I have to say though ... the classical world is definitely a little different (polite term for snooty and brutal).
Oh my god, yes! One of many reasons I was glad I wasn't a performance major. The comp majors got judged too, though (don't let me get on my rant about Mr. Jackson, my music comp teacher who hated the sound of distortion and thought that rock and metal were slightly below elementary school kazoo festivals in terms of being "real music." But he loved that 1920 12-tone serial crap. Look at me ranting, already!)

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sun Mar 05, 2017 5:56 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Yeah I guess I'm being kind of a stick in the mud here. Maybe it's part of the culture of the LSU Music School (or can I really blame it on them?).

Basically I've been fighting to get more practice time for myself since October of '82 (when I had to start working after music school), and it's threatened my health, my employability, and my marriage, because I've had these standards that got drilled into me at LSU. I just want my music to be really great and I'm having trouble making it that way. The Stick certainly has its challenges.

Maybe I should make myself produce a video of a solo, just because I believe I shouldn't. (I am a videographer, after all.)

OK! I'll do it. Two weeks and I'll have something.

Remind me if I haven't posted...

R

Sun Mar 05, 2017 7:59 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I understand all sides of this , but make my own decisions like anyone can. I've posted quite a few videos now, none are " ready" or quite right but more just a snapshot of what I am doing or where I am currently at given the little time I can throw at. Still, I once said I'm not ready for command and was wisely told , " you never are " as I took the ship out so I dont have any issues about these videos bouncing back and biting me in the future assuming I'd ever reach some point where that mattered.
Good discussion and yes the classical world of guitar is a beast of its kind.. :o

Mon Mar 06, 2017 4:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

rodan07 wrote:
Yeah I guess I'm being kind of a stick in the mud here. Maybe it's part of the culture of the LSU Music School (or can I really blame it on them?).

Basically I've been fighting to get more practice time for myself since October of '82 (when I had to start working after music school), and it's threatened my health, my employability, and my marriage, because I've had these standards that got drilled into me at LSU. I just want my music to be really great and I'm having trouble making it that way. The Stick certainly has its challenges.

Maybe I should make myself produce a video of a solo, just because I believe I shouldn't. (I am a videographer, after all.)

OK! I'll do it. Two weeks and I'll have something.

Remind me if I haven't posted...

R
Awesome, sir! I really appreciate the tremendous challenges and pressure you're under (and that's why I long ago said "no thanks, for me! I'll write impossible shit that OTHER people have to learn to play! BWAH HAH HAH!" (and then got an English degree instead, and ended up having to play my own stuff anyway.))

And just a casual video noodling some time to show a specific point might be better and less stressful that showing "Fugue and Cantata in D Minor as done One-handed on Just the Low A-String."

Maybe a section of Bach or whatever you're working on. 30 seconds to a minute of your best effort (editing is your friend, as well. "Why not chop out that long pause there, that botched chorus that I redid here....") You don't need to drop a whole sonata on anyone. Post it, bask in the warm gaze and attention of an adoring Stickist community, talk about it, answer some questions about what gear you're using, and then after a couple of weeks, change the permissions to "private" and it will never be seen again.

Until you get in that one argument about doing Ravel in mixed tunings and you post your old video where you demonstrated exactly that one point that you're trying to make.

And one further point: if the classical folk leave the forum to nothing but covers of "Brown-Eyed Girl," new and would-be Stickists may not fully appreciate the wondrous beauty of an instrument that is able to rock it out in a number of disparate and different genres of music. "How come there's no classical Stickists?"

"Well, there are plenty, but they're waiting for perfection, but you should totally want to study this instrument just like they do. We hear, anyway. I can't show you any videos. They have strong, educated opinions about stuff we never get to see. But here's Bob Culberson instead with some experimental diatonic tunings on a Stick, while also playing didgeridoo (that was really awesome, by the way)..."

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

So far, each video I have shared on this site has come with many rewards. Regardless of how flawed my playing may or may not have been, there have been, mostly, encouraging comments. Those are valuable and help me to disregard any thoughts like, "I am never going to get good at this instrument or at song writing", and to keep charging ahead. Just as valuable to me are the constructive criticisms, or suggestions on how to improve the smoothness, groove, tone, or whatever.

The main thing is, to me, Stickist.com is a safe and encouraging place to post some material you are trying out. But also, the folks here are so used to seeing the Stick, that they are beyond just staring at this thing they have never seen before and can objectively watch and listen to what you are doing.

I would say if you want feed back on anything make a short video, post it here and have an open mind. But also, be patient if nobody replies right away. Some folks here are not in the habit of responding to those kinds of posts, whether they don't feel like they have anything helpful to suggest, or maybe the piece just didn't move them or speak to them in any way. Sometimes days or even a week will go by, then someone will pop up and say "Somehow I missed this, but here is what I think..."

And other times some one will simply say, "Neat" or "Nice job".

If I feel the video is complete, I may say so. Or I might say the video is a work in progress. Either way, I agree that this would be more for sharing ideas with other Stickists and not necessarily the best way to give a concert.

Good thread topic, whomever came up with this!

Mike

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:10 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

"I've moved on and gotten better".

Mon Mar 06, 2017 8:48 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

The only reason you've never heard anything from me is I can't even figure out how to download my SD card from my Zoom H2. Believe me I'm not ashamed of bad notes, flubs, dings or any other discrepancies. If I was I would have never EVER gone up on a stage way-back-when and/or played with anyone in a band or by myself in front of people. Never had a perfect performance. Not. Even. Close. But there have been some great ones.

Mon Mar 06, 2017 10:57 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Interesting thread.
I've read the other thread WRT to tunings, Mad Monk, etc...I'd be very interested to watch him play, 'cause it sounds like he knows his shit.

Myself, I've posted the majority of the material I know on YouTube.....I gotta say...I look back now and say ...sheesh....it ain't so good...
But I ain't too proud either, and really don't care one way or the other.

I'm a proponent of posting yer tunes online, regardless of what your (my) opinion is of them.

Cheers,
Kev

Mon Mar 06, 2017 6:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery