It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:33 pm

Interlochen 2017 Updates 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Interlochen 2017 Updates
Howdy Stickists, new member Billy Lee here, from Michigan. I am looking forward to meeting many of you at the evening performances during the Interlochen Stick Workshops. I will be in the audience at Interlochen and at the Filling Station in Traverse City.
I plan to buy my first Stick sometime in the next year. I have been in touch with Emmet Chapman and Steve Adelson, both of whom have been very helpful with information to help me narrow down the choices and options for my first Stick. My last remaining question now is choosing between a 10 string or a 12 string; I have to decide which is more comfortable for me. I hope to be able to see a couple 10 and 12 string sticks up close to help me decide which would be best for me. If I'm fortunate enough to meet and talk with any of you Interlochen students and performers, perhaps you might be able take a minute or two with me to give me your opinions and insights at Interlochen ...your insights would be very welcome!
I am really looking forward to meeting as many of you as I can as I hope to become deeply involved in all things Stick! I won't be attending the day-time workshops as I am presently "Stick-less", but soon I will join your ranks as a Stick owner. Thank you all for your warm welcome to the "Stickist" group.

Billy Lee, Michigan

Thu Jun 08, 2017 6:53 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

If you haven't done this yet, I recommend getting in touch with Glenn and seeing if there are any options for renting or borrowing a Stick so you can sign up for the seminar. This will give you a head start for when you get your Stick, and you'll have a hands-on opportunity to get a sense of what the Stick is and how the 10- and 12-string versions differ.

Sat Jun 10, 2017 12:19 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Billy, also contact Steve Osburn. There's going to be Stick performances in Ypsi in a couple weeks. He also has a ten string in his store he has been working on restoring, looks pretty nice now. We both play 12 strings.

Graphite Grand Stick MR
NS Stick Wenge body Wenge neck
Bamboo Grand Stickup

Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:22 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

MichNS wrote:
Billy, also contact Steve Osburn. There's going to be Stick performances in Ypsi in a couple weeks. He also has a ten string in his store he has been working on restoring, looks pretty nice now. We both play 12 strings.

And Steve Osburn was just talking about starting to rent out some Sticks, to hopefully encourage more people to give it a try. Maybe even a rent-to-own thing. Give Oz a call. That ten string is Ironwood and looks pretty sweet.

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:24 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hi folks,
Thank you one and all, these are all great suggestions. Unfortunately I have a few day-time obligations during the Interlochen Workshops, so I wouldn't be able to attend as a student. But I do like the idea of possibly renting a Stick from Steve Osburn. Maybe Steve and I will have a chance to talk that over. I've known Steve for like forever, back when I lived in Ann Arbor. Looking forward to catching up with Steve and meeting ya'll.
In any case, I'm still on schedule to attend some evening performances at Interlochen and at the Filling Station.
Safe travels to Interlochen, folks. The Northern Michigan weather should be pretty pleasant by then....bring your Stick and your swim suit! ;-)
See ya'll!
Billy Lee

Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:19 am
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I got my Green card (the card that keeps me from paying duty on my stick and gear when I come back into Canada) If you are coming from out of country look into getting your card or proof that you have paid your taxes and duty , or bought it out of country otherwise you could get dinged at the boarder going home. Also got my travel insurance as well as because a visit to a hospital will bankrupt me with out the travel insurance. ( im not planning on visiting the hospital)

Maple SG12 #6914 Classic Tuning
Website robgellner.com
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UChuob7 ... bmRsfgswJQ

Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:32 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Safe travels everyone! Enjoy the journey!
Billy Lee

Sun Jul 09, 2017 9:11 am