It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:29 am

notating hammer-ons and pull-offs 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post notating hammer-ons and pull-offs
Hey guys,

This topic has probably been done to death but I wanted to know how y'all were notating hammer-ons and pull-offs.

I've learned Greg Howard's style of notation and it's been a great mental discipline, to slowly and exactly specify where each finger is going, on which string, and which fret. Now for articulations.

Oh, and I use Sibelius 6.

Thanks,
R

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:31 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: notating hammer-ons and pull-offs
At the 2009 Interlochen Workshop, we had a group discussion about changes to StaffTab that would make it less cluttered.

The convention I adopted for hammer-ons and pull-oiffs out of that discussion was to use a slur.
Since th finger symbols change, it's easy to differentiate between a:

tied note, where the note and finger symbol stay the same
slide, where the finger doesn't change, but the note does
hanner-on/pulloff, where both finger and note change.

This was the convention I ended up using for the Songbook, and all other StaffTab I've done since. I think it's much better than having a different symbol.

Here's an example of what it looks like (melody in the first measure).

My favorite thing about this convention is that any time you see an arc on the page (tie or slur) it always means one thing, fingers are staying on strings, as opposed to "clean taps" where a note is articulated on a string that's not already vibrating.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:45 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Although I don't really use Stafftab, because I can read, I can utilize Stafftab. If that makes any sense... I hate, hate, hate guitar tabulature. It has always kind of hurt my mind... :D

The way Greg presented his tunes in the GH Songbook was pretty much perfect, easy as pie for a Stafftab reader and equally easy for a notation-er (Is that what I am? :D ) It's clean, and pretty ideal.
Especially in regards to slurs like hammerons and pulloffs... that slur arc makes the most sense, And I love Greg's "fingers staying on the strings vs clean taps" description. Cool.

One other REALLY cool thing about the Songbook, is that he presented the tunes in "lead sheet" format. Another extra really cool thing is that the music was written for the Stick, and scored with the Stick in mind.

Sat Nov 25, 2017 8:52 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Jayesskerr wrote:
Although I don't really use Stafftab, because I can read, I can utilize Stafftab. If that makes any sense... I hate, hate, hate guitar tabulature. It has always kind of hurt my mind... :D

The way Greg presented his tunes in the GH Songbook was pretty much perfect, easy as pie for a Stafftab reader and equally easy for a notation-er (Is that what I am? :D ) It's clean, and pretty ideal.
Especially in regards to slurs like hammerons and pulloffs... that slur arc makes the most sense, And I love Greg's "fingers staying on the strings vs clean taps" description. Cool.

One other REALLY cool thing about the Songbook, is that he presented the tunes in "lead sheet" format. Another extra really cool thing is that the music was written for the Stick, and scored with the Stick in mind.
Thanks, Scott,

I'm glad it works so well for you...

Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:37 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Thanks! That was simple. Now on to notating my various little studies...

R

Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:09 pm