It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:58 am

Longest hiatus? Lil advice 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Longest hiatus? Lil advice
Hey guys,

So Ive been away for awhile. Been a semi brutal combo of umm lets say psychic bad trip-spiritual warfare HA I can't linguilize that. New word: linguilize : to form into language of speech. Also, some form of unknown illness(bah blah blah!) But I aint blabbering about that just an fyi for my absence and possible lack of communication. IF so its not personal I been bad about calls/emails.

Anyway, the heart of the matter. I had not played in like a year or more. I did make electronic progress and made production leaps and at least made tracks. But tracks and real play playing is different you know. I can't believe i missed the stick for so long, which is unthinkable to me in hindsight, but I'm cutting myself slack as it was an uninspired time to say the least. So I really feel odd trying to play as motor skills not quite there and mind is a bit wonky. I have never really taken a break from 10 string classic stick playing and I just seek tips.

I think it will be fresh and ill take the zen approach as it may feel nice. But instead of like repeating my begining lessons I want to just take a different path/habit of playing. Even if its like standing versus sitting or playing like only fripp patterns in 7/4 jk. But I want to take advantage of this new fresh look. I guess for now I will just try and be like a child and play it like I nevr played a stick or music. Easier said tho, but how long have your hiatus been? And since its hard to get back in the swing of things what advice helped you swing in like joe pass. Thanks!

ben

Sun Nov 26, 2017 7:33 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: Longest hiatus? Lil advice
I haven't had an extended Stick break per se, but I have had times where practice time was once every few weeks and other times where it was several times a week. I can say from my own experience that even when you backslide and forget and don't play as well, it never really is quite back to zero. So if as you say, you pretend it is a fresh start, you should be pleasantly surprised at how much faster you pick things up than the first time.

As a side note, I did take a several year hiatus from piano, which I learned for 10 years straight. It all came back over the course of a few months. Depending on how much you did learn on Stick before, you could really surprise yourself based on your expectation model.

Rosewood Grand, PASV4

Sun Nov 26, 2017 1:41 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Been flirting with the Devil? You write well and put your experiences in colorful language but the Devil eventually eats his own children. (Well, we all get broken down sooner or later.) Time to don your ten-string heavenly harp and get back to those interwoven arpeggiated progressions that I remember on first meeting in Ann Arbor. It was angelic and mind blowing at the same time. I told you so but you apologized (mind thus twice blown).

I thought you had it all, the fast fluent fingers and the lingual rhythms whispered into the microphone. Now, if you looped it all into a DIY performance, you'd need only the lead lines - on your way toward Holdsworthian lands.

Gadgets can get out of hand, stimulants too. Yuta's making me another cup of coffee.

Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:07 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Hey Ben,

"Hiatus", hegira, waiting it out or fleeing to find space. I think when the cup gets filled enough times
it dawns on us that nothing really matters anyway, at least not to anyone but ourselves :| .

I understand the "hiatus" and I add 'hegira' to the mix because sometimes taking a break is like
taking a journey. Either way you get perspective...

So for me, what it all came down to is maturity. That might sound a little trite but not the way I am intending. "Maturity" comes after you 'turn-on, after you 'tune in' and then, only when you can, in all honesty, 'drop the lot'.

(This is entirely different than the Tim Leary maxim 'turn on, tune in and drop out')

Then you can look inside (where the real mirror shines) and ask not "who am I?", that is "trite" and too simple, but rather ask "who is responsible for all this?".

There is like a little star that brings this special idea; that your life is a collection of all the choices you have made .

You get it, right? There's nobody else and it is up to you.

In my humble opinion I agree with Emmett, you are one of the super creative people on
this forum. I guess that puts a burden on your head and doesn't help much but I know
you, at least well enough to know that you got over that one a long time ago. Besides
creative potential doesn't mean anything unless you do something with it and
you have; you have made some really amazing music but does anyone really notice, does anyone really care?

Joe Pass? That guy knew. In the now moment musicians are really lucky, they play 8-).

I guess about two years ago I was going through some of this stuff. I had the blues and I came
across this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYmL6kI0wkQ

Scroll down and there is a poem I wrote while I listened and watched the little
film. The two together make a third.

Don't forget "Ancient Rice Fields"...

jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Sun Nov 26, 2017 9:26 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Oh my, thanks so much!
I don't think I'll blabber on much but I should be on the up and up I think.
bsharp: haha I love it, always mind warping inspiration. I remember the seminar so clearly, best times for sure! I am not worthy! anyway, miss ya and the crew. Also, such memorable times..
JRJ: creative, zen and more wow. I gotta ponder on all this

I think for concrete idea: I think i am gonna do the classic just stick and amp for my return to true form. I just restrung both Sticks and I had to remember how lucky I am to have both. NS for my life long bass technique that just won't die. And then I'll go and only tap on the NS haha. The 10 string baritone melody. The hyperspace home of strings that came into my life just as I left childhood(18). And now I'm all grown up, but what happened to feeling like an adult? AH its so damn trippy to think I'm 34, alas I do feel like a well travelled veteran of life though. Ok, enough of this I need to spin my head around a few times and then i'll be ready. haha cheers for real yaw.
Thanks,
I'll send back some positive vibes. See you around

Mon Nov 27, 2017 7:38 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

I'm a fan you know, but I say you get off your ass and start doing stuff. Show us how's it done man - cheers. :D

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:03 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Gotham City, Ann Arbor, 2006

Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:05 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Yeahhhhhh!!!! Skin on STEEL and WOOD. Badass.

Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:55 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

My own hiatus (or hegira, or perhaps the start of an aging/maturing process) began in the summer of 2003 when I sold my first Stick to a fellow musician nearby. (Selling my Stick was a hard decision, but it became a good story that involves a noteworthy personal discovery, and is laced with moments of beauty and great emotion. I feel that this story gets better with the re-telling, so I think I'll share it on the forums here some day.) I have not owned or touched a Stick since then. However, this time will draw to a close, as soon as my first Railboard order arrives within the next weeks or perhaps months.

I haven't been away from music though. In that time, I've built at least 15 bass guitars (i.e. assembled from parts), rediscovered an early affinity for acoustic guitars, touched a violin flirtatiously several times, experimented with a Dobro, and fallen in love with analog synthesizers of various flavors. I also bought a Korg WaveDrum for my kids to use, which they've enjoyed.

One of the reasons I'm getting back into the world of the Stick is because I'm doing it seriously, purposefully and on my own terms, with a goal to re-learn afresh by approaching the instrument the way that makes sense to *me*. This time, I will add it to my arsenal of instruments with careful consideration, rather than a purchase-on-a-whim (as I did with my first Stick). I expect this (plus the maturity I've gained since 2003) will help me be more realistic about my own expectations and achieve clarity in what I want to accomplish.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:16 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

I love the Stickbackstory. Coming back to the Stick is like being at your high school reunion and seeing that special someone you sorta had a crush and they're still beautiful and charming.

And musical, of course.

Welcome back.

Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:30 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery