It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:10 am

I like this chart. 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post I like this chart.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Wed Nov 29, 2017 7:45 pm
Contributor
Contributor

Post Re: I like this chart.
no image posted... link?

#6877 Rosewood, 12 String Grand, PASV-4, turquoise linear inlays and Pearl Gray tuners, tuned in Mirrored 4ths

Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:04 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

It makes me think about a document I wrote many years ago...close to 30 years...and it was about relationship between notes, scales, harmony, chord construction, etc. Unfortunately for this forum, it's written in french. I would have to put many weeks to translate it...maybe one day...BTW, I was not selling it, I gave it to so many people.

https://alainauclair.bandcamp.com/

Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

If you can't see the link, here's the image.
ArmyDoc wrote:
no image posted... link?

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

#404 Stick - (1978) Angico hard wood.
#6460 Railboard - Black with glow inlays.

Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:14 am

Aha!
You touch on a subject that's always been close to my heart.
Actually, maybe a little closer to my spleen ;)

Being a rebellious and somewhat argumentative youth, when my teacher started in on these, I 'refused' to appreciate the benefit of knowing these modes. Not to mention the task of memorizing them. My argument was always, "But it's just a scale that begins on a note other than the first degree of that scale".

Is there some sublime attribute to these columnar references that I'm missing? Admittedly, I sometimes miss the obvious, and that's when I depend on the kindness of stranger musicians than I :?
(I still aced that class, though under protest:-))

Thanks and Cheers
Harry

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:32 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

lminor7 wrote:
Is there some sublime attribute to these columnar references that I'm missing?

It's simple A is the groove note.

:|
jRj
*j*
.~

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:18 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Resolution!!
Same scale tones but each note against the harmony (chords) has different tension or resolution. It's all about the chemistry of chord and note.

Steve A

Thu Nov 30, 2017 12:50 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Lee Vatip wrote:
Resolution!!
Same scale tones but each note against the harmony (chords) has different tension or resolution. It's all about the chemistry of chord and note.

Steve A

Hi Steve,
Thanks for the eloquent input. I quite understand what you're saying, though it would have taken me longer to say it :|

What were to me fun things to play as a kid, though poorly understood at the time, became part of my musical consciousness by the time I was in my early teens. I never thought about mixolydian this or aeolian that etc. I'm not downplaying the merits of understanding what the modes are and how they work, and lord knows I've been scolded for not using the nomenclature.
Hm, might actually be something worth perusing again...

Perhaps an upcoming piece of music will be created a la mode (Brubeck?)

Cheers,
Harry

Thu Nov 30, 2017 1:48 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

You can easily ignore these fancy sounding mode names and just say, for example, A Major with B root (B dorian). That's actually very practical and functional . The mode names are only labels. Knowing how they work over a chord progression is the better way to use them.
For restaurant gigs, I frequently do the Piala Mode.

Steve A

Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Lee Vatip wrote:
You can easily ignore these fancy sounding mode names and just say, for example, A Major with B root (B dorian). That's actually very practical and functional . The mode names are only labels. Knowing how they work over a chord progression is the better way to use them.
For restaurant gigs, I frequently do the Piala Mode.

Steve A

Ha Ha, Now You're talking my language!

I've had numerous conversations on the subject and they all took on the same tone, so to speak. There seemed to be a direct proportion between the amount of education and the amount of dogmatic insistence on the rules. Berkeley and Julliard alumni were the most dominant, Westchester Conservatory alumni (not as prestigious as the first two; the old joke about not wanting to belong to any club that would have me...) were merely sub-dominant. Even the CPA who worked for my company and played bass at his local church on weekends insisted it was imperative I learn the names and uses of the modes because, well, I don't know!

I saw no advantage in putting a label on a scale whose root is not the tonic. I understand that concept and enjoy knocking around in those interesting neighborhoods. I own at least four books on modes; all gifts, none read all the way through. As I said above, I probably should become more familiar with these Greek Columns even if only to better understand my own position. Or, I might learn something :idea:
I'll never knock a musical system that works. And I appreciated your post, Steve. Apparently I needed to do some venting and now I feel better :-)

Till next time,
Cheers
Harry

sent from my iPhone while on the commode

Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:35 pm