It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:10 am

Truefire DVD and a free CD 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Truefire DVD and a free CD
First shipment is gone. Second batch is now available.

To thank the Stick community for the great response, I will throw in free, my last CD with any order of the new Truefire DVD if ordered by the end of this week.

Paypal to SteveAFran@aol.com

If you don't know the price from last week's post, email me, privately

Thanks
Steve A

Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

Post Re: Truefire DVD and a free CD
Steve,

Just wanted to say Thanks!!!! I order the Ultimate Stick the day you announced it and got it last weekend. As a long time (45+ years) guitar/bass player I took the challenge of becoming a Stickist a couple months ago. Since I know theory and structure well I have been able to find my way around locating chords, scales and such, but still feel like I have too many thumbs and not enough fingers, especially in the right hand. I sat down and watched the entire 1st DVD in one sitting and with your demonstration and explanation of pivot points for chord inversions and both left & right hand fingering through arpeggios and modal scales I have become much more comfortable (and therefore fluent) with my Stick. I had to travel for the last four days and leave my Stick at home, but the DVDs are in my mac now so I can keep it all fresh. Can't wait to get back home tomorrow and sit down and practice for the next 10 days before I have to travel again.

Thanks Again - Larry

Wed Jul 08, 2009 8:16 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Cool. Exactly what the DVD aims to do--demystify the Stick's logistics and show how easy it is to master. You'll find disc 2 getting into more advanced concepts but I think the explanations will still be easy to grasp.
Glad it's helped your playing

Steve A

Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery

I've been noodling around with my new stick (10 string, dark bamboo, turquoise recon dot inlays, pasv4) for a couple of weeks now, watching some of the DVDs and reviewing the instruction books.

When i started up Steve's Ultimate Stick DVD and watched the first couple of chapters, the proverbial lightbulb went off :idea: and the Stick's logic began to click.

Thank you Steve - while I am still a complete novice, I now have some direction in how I approach this fascinating instrument and where to go next.

As for Steve's new CD - fantastic, with a great mix of tunes and styles.

Jeff N

Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:29 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Lee Vatip wrote:
Cool. Exactly what the DVD aims to do--demystify the Stick's logistics and show how easy it is to master....Steve A

I had the chance to watch a chunk (or is that a kerchunk?) of this DVD the other day, and would highly recommend it to Stick players of all levels. Everyone has a slightly different perspective on playing an instrument, so match it up with material from other teachers and you will have a very good starting point.

I'm also convinced that more advanced players will experience a few "aha moments" while watching this.

Cheers,
Andy

http://andysalvanos.com/

Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:02 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to let you know this double DVD set is now in stock at SE:

http://www.stick.com/features/video/

Dee Mustafi

Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:40 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I received my copy two weeks ago. This is truly an amazing resource. I consider myself an intermediate player, so I started with the second disk. After watching the first three lessons, I decided that I am not an intermediate player :lol:

This set of lessons is definetly for any level of player, and is also very entertaining. Steve's humor, so evident on these pages, is very much a part of this DVD set. If you have Steve's book, released last year, you will have a written guide that goes along with the DVD's.

One thing I must have missed though. The DVD says that there is an "additional lesson" at the Truefire site with the enclosed PIN. All I received at the Truefire site with the PIN was an index (albeit, a very helpful resource.) Did I miss something?

Jim

10 String Paduak, PASV4, MR, #4858
12 String Bamboo, Stickup, MR, #5550

Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:34 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

After several sittings with Steve Adelson's just released double DVD set of 44 Stick lessons, the comprehensive "Ultimate Stick" by TrueFire, I'd like to share my impressions.

Steve's style and method of teaching will grow on you, at least, it had that effect on me. It starts off with lessons on the fundamentals, the layout of The Stick, the dots, the symmetrical tuning, and the simple transpositions across the board. Even then, he takes you "by leaps and bounds" right away to larger terrain - the big picture, graphic, geometric, and how it all fits together.

And it gets more involving as you go, with nearly four hours of wide ranging instruction. Steve's presentation is multidimensional in that he teaches on several levels at once in a relaxed manner. It's not enough that he reveals his most powerfully musical two-handed tapping discoveries, his natural instinct is to make it whole, move it anywhere, apply it to any song or sector of the board. He has always taught by bestowing ownership upon the student, making it your own, and this is how I've always taught Stick as well.

The layered assault on your senses and sensibilities begins obviously enough, with the notes, the fingering, and various devices to get both hands working at the same time. Then you see his hands on the board and they seem unusually nimble and dexterous. Each lick is executed "cold" (no warm-ups), yet the fluid momentum is always there. (He used to be a hobbyist magician but never mind that.)

His purpleheart "solar" Grand Stick is set up for very low action and light touch but still, he makes it all look so incredibly easy. Those floating fingers and flicks of the wrist might be intimidating to the newcomer except that an entirely different message comes through - that it's all mental. Thus paradoxically, physical ease and comfort are essential to learning Steve's technical skills.

So you have the notes and the fingers, also the vision of gesturing hands playing the connections between the notes. Then one hand will point to the other in action, a different kind of dialogue as he explains his moves. The hands are talking to themselves!

If that's not enough, he'll often conclude a lesson with a philosophical "aside" to the camera, commenting on the larger scope of what has just been taught. "You don't have to repeat history because we're making history." Now he's a personality, so if the fingers don't convince you, his power of communication will.

My interest grew with each succeeding lesson. There's truly a lot there and it gets more intense as it goes. By the second disk, you're into two-handed bass, two-handed melody, modal and blues scales, Latin rhythms, his rhythmic "Claw" and "Kerchunk" techniques, his famous "Compass" walking bass (it's alive!), and a polychordal theory of combined triads, one to each hand.

There's a lesson on right-hand expressive finger techniques, which he calls "Articulation". There's another on layered orchestration, adding the right thumb to the left hand and conversely, the left pinky to the right hand. I refer to this sub-technique as "six fingers on each hand" (conceptually as always, of course).

The magician has now given away all his best tricks, but then when he actually plays a song arrangement (and there are several of his performances here), it's still magic and he remains somehow above it all, secure as an artist and stylist despite the revelations.

Easy flow of hands, easy flow of words, all combined into a river of intelligent instruction. There are many creative levels to Steve's presentation, not the least of which is to inspire confidence and loving inspiration within our world wide Stick and string tapping community.

All the Best, Emmett.

Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:49 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

What does this DVD set offer that the Stickology DVD from last year doesn't? I have the Mel Bay package, which is phenomenal, and I'm just curious if there's that much more here.

Kris

Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:30 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Obviously more video. If a picture's worth a thousand words, than four hours of video............... More visual may better illustrate some techniques and such
And it's only $30. One new idea pays you back.
SA

Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:13 am
Profile My Photo Gallery