It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:58 am

Another request for first time buyer advice! 

Post Another request for first time buyer advice!
Hi,

I've been fascinated by the Chapman stick for years, from Tony Levin's work with Peter Gabriel, Nick Beggs playing (particularly on the Howard Jones concert DVD) and a local player I've seen occassionally, Derek Dallenger.

I've played keyboards (piano and synths) for more years than I care to name, then took up acoustic guitar about 5-6 years ago and for the first time my finances justify me giving the stick a go.

However, I've looked at the various options and am lost as to what a good starting instrument would be for me! Can anyone give me their thoughts or advice?

Many thanks!

David

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:31 am

Post Re: Another request for first time buyer advice!
...oh, I forgot to mention that I'm in the UK (and having just thought to look him up on the internet it looks like Derek isn't based locally anymore!)

Thanks again

David

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:35 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Any Stick is a good Stick ... there are no beginner Sticks. ;) I'd suggest reading all the information available on this forum and the actual Stick site and get to know the prices. One of the great thing about Sticks is they retain their value so if you buy one and decide to sell it chances are you'll get most if not all your money back. But as a buyer this also means you can sometimes pay as much for a used Stick as for a new one. (Sometimes more if you're not careful) The wait time for a brand new Stick is usually around a year which is why many people decide to get a used one ... often from E-Bay. (That's where I got mine)

If you decide to buy used just make sure you don't pay more then the cost of a new Stick. New Sticks are fully adjustable and have truss rods. Older Sticks are still wonderful instruments but often don't have truss rods and don't have adjustable bridges. BUTTTTTTTT any Stick ... as long as you don't get screwed price wise will be a great instrument. And if you get an older Stick with no truss rod it can be sent back to Stick Enterprises and totally referbished and a truss rod can be added. Reports from people who have done this indicate they come back often as good as or better then when they were new. Read the articles on the Stick site about purchasing a Stick ... a lot of wonderful information there. And think about the wait time. If you don't mind waiting I'd recommend ordering a brand new Stick but if you go used as many of us have just make sure you don't over pay.

Good luck and welcome to the wonderful world of the Chapman Stick ... and this great forum!

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:47 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I'm in the UK as well. When I decided that I 'HAD' to have a stick a few years ago I decided to grab absolutely the first thing available. I was just desperate to get my hands on one. I figured that if I took to it OK then I could worry about being specific second time around. I still think that's the best bet. I scoured eBay for months (they show up occasionally) got outbid once, and procrastinated for 10 minutes on a 'buy it now' and lost it! Finally, someone on this forum got in touch when they were selling.

Wed Feb 27, 2008 2:35 am
Contributor
Contributor

you want to take the road most travelled on he Stick you would probably be getting a 10 or 12 - String (the 12 is just like the 10 with an extra string on each side), Classic or Matched Reciprocal tuning, and really any pickup (Stickup tends to be the favorite unprocessed natural tone).

You really can't go wrong for a first instrument I went with 12-string Classic Stickup w/ light gauge strings and have not a single regret.

Rods Vs. Rails- different yes but you could go either way

Flaps vs. Nut screws - Largely a matter of set-up convenience

34 in vs 36 in scale - one extra fret, nice but certainly not a deal breaker

Adjustable vs. older fixed design - calculate an upgrade from SE into your price.
(you can even have your seller ship direct to Stick for this if desired)

Light gauge vs. Heavier strings - I think that Light gauge strings would be the best intro to the light touch of Stick play and a place you may very well stay but again not a deal breaker.

I hope this helps simplify the process. Obviously, there are a myriad of other options but you can't go wrong with the above.

-Curtis

Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:56 am

Thanks all for your tips and thoughts, it really is very much appreciated.

:D

Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:36 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

Whereabouts are you (in the UK)?

Wed Feb 27, 2008 12:19 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Hey David, welcome to the forum!

As others have said, any Stick that is fairly priced and in good condition will be great, but I'd probably choose a 10-string over a 12 for learning. Wider string spacing, neck isn't so wide, etc. And a later model with a truss-rod is highly recommended, so you can adjust it easily and choose any tuning with any gauge strings. A refurbished older Stick with a new truss-rod would be fantastic too, but it looks like people are asking almost the same price for old ones these days, so the total price would end up being more than a later model with all the good bits in-built.

Derek is living in Japan now, in Kyushu, wherever that is. I've been emailing him recently after the Sydney and Tokyo Stick seminars, plus he wanted to know about my new Graphite Grand 10-string. :) He also just tarted up his website recently and added more songs - http://derekdallenger.com/

Sorry for the plug, but I have a Stick for sale myself, a late model 10-string with ACTV-2 pickup and fully adjustable bits. The problem is that it's in Sydney, Australia, so postage to the U.K would be expensive. Will be listing it worldwide on ebay this week, so keep an eye out for it.

Cheers,

Justin

Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:09 pm

The support on this forum is great, I've noticed people talk about the Stick community and there certainly is one...the support and enthusiasm from everyone is infectious :)

To answer digitalkettle's question, I'm down in Sussex.

Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:19 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

sm1le wrote:
To answer digitalkettle's question, I'm down in Sussex.

Always worth putting a shout out for a quick 'try-before-you-buy' meet up...I was too impatient when I got interested...but I should've done ;-)

Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:57 am