It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:41 pm

Bamboo Stick-the Flipside 
Contributor
Contributor

Post Bamboo Stick-the Flipside
Since Feb.21st.,the only side of the Stick I've seen is the fretboard. But I was reflecting on thr beauty of my new Stick last night, and I was studying the georgeous laminations on the back-truly a work of art and craftsmanship. This "wood" is treated with respect and care in it's layering and execution. I really want to get some photos of this sucker up for you guys-the BACK included!

Marty, in possesion of perfection.

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:26 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: Bamboo Stick-the Flipside
That's good to hear, Marty. When I get mine I'm sure I will be feeling the same way.

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I saw "flipside" and thought drawbacks, downside, problems. Glad you just meant backside. Have a bamboo going into production. I really like the idea of bamboo. It's probably the most green of woods, I guess technically it's not a "wood".

Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:32 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I believe technically it's grass :D

I always taught the flipside of the Stick was beautiful: such clean lines!
I was translating the conference of an italian designer in Oslo and, since he was a very nice guy, I showed him the Stick web page: he was very impressed with Emmett's design concepts. Way out of the box!

Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Hah! I too was caught out by the title. I thought that you were going to reveal an inherent flaw in the material.

Glad to hear that Bamboo is still going strong after all!

Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:20 pm
Contributor
Contributor

I alllways say to people when leaving,"See you on the flipside", meaning (to me) the "flipside" of the 45(remember those?). They usually contained the "hidden jem", the "weird" tune, the "get it out, maybe someone will take notice" piece, usually picked up on by some DJ that liked to be on the cuttin edge. Never thought of it the ways you guys picked up on it. I think I'll go back to sleep now.

Marty

Sun Mar 09, 2008 6:58 am
Contributor
Contributor

I have a dark bamboo 10-String with Stickup and black inlays and am very happy with it. But I do have a flipside / downside I could mention. Recently I think it was Greg that replied to a post about the visibility of the inlays on the fretboard. He said something along the lines of "you don't always need to see them, but when you do, you do". That's what I'm finding.

The dark bamboo seems to be sort of "half-way" between dark and light. Too dark for black dots to show up well and maybe too light for white dots to show up well (although I've not seen a dark bamboo Stick with white dots so I can't be sure). Maybe it's just because I'm in my late 40's and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but I find it rather hard to see them under certain lighting conditions.

I think maybe something with a little color, like light-green might work better?

I've got my name on the list for a new Padauk 12-String with white pearl inlays, PASV-4, and midi, so I shouldn't have a problem seeing the inlays on that one. :)

Jim

Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:41 am
Contributor
Contributor

I always thought my Stick had a nice butt!

Solo Sounds | Southern Panhandle - Improg Sounds | #5527 (Dark Bamboo, Deep Baritone Melody, Stickup)

Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:50 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Petary791 wrote:
I always thought my Stick had a nice butt!

Heh ....... you should see mine when I drape some lingerie over it ......... Ooops! too much information!!!

Tue Mar 11, 2008 6:35 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

v015eyjd wrote:
I have a dark bamboo 10-String with Stickup and black inlays and am very happy with it. But I do have a flipside / downside I could mention. Recently I think it was Greg that replied to a post about the visibility of the inlays on the fretboard. He said something along the lines of "you don't always need to see them, but when you do, you do". That's what I'm finding.

The dark bamboo seems to be sort of "half-way" between dark and light. Too dark for black dots to show up well and maybe too light for white dots to show up well (although I've not seen a dark bamboo Stick with white dots so I can't be sure). Maybe it's just because I'm in my late 40's and my eyes aren't as good as they used to be, but I find it rather hard to see them under certain lighting conditions.

I think maybe something with a little color, like light-green might work better?

I've got my name on the list for a new Padauk 12-String with white pearl inlays, PASV-4, and midi, so I shouldn't have a problem seeing the inlays on that one. :)

Jim

So far I've found dark blue, dark green, purple or black are the best choices for linear inlays on the dark bamboo. I haven't seen any instruments that had dot inlays on bamboo yet.

Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery