It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:54 am

New Stick AKA as GAS attack 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post New Stick AKA as GAS attack
I was on the phone with Yuta a minute ago, and I order a Grand :D
It will be Padauk + black hardware + PASV4 + the midi trench but no midi yet (I leave that for the next GAS season). The tuning will be classic / medium (but that might still change)
The non-standard features that I would like to have are: non-angled belt hook (I'm currently using a Slider strap), no inlays (depending on availability / timing) and to have extra holes to be able to switch my ACTV2 (which my 10 string has) to the new stick if I finally prefer the sound.
If it isn't possible to have it without inlays, my 2nd option will be pua dots or black linear markers (although the contrast will not be very good).

As usual is always a pleasure to deal with S.E, and Yuta in particular, over the phone; very warm and patient people =)

Cheers, Daniel.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:49 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Re: New Stick AKA as GAS attack
Sounds awesome. I know they've made one or two instruments without inlays.

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:18 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Greg used to have a bamboo without markers; do you still have it Greg?

Cheers, Daniel

Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:28 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

arsacane wrote:
Greg used to have a bamboo without markers; do you still have it Greg?

Cheers, Daniel

Hi Daniel,

I've had three sitcks without inlays. The first was my currrent bamboo Grand which I used to mark with tape to decide on a color and then I later asked Emmett to put in the "Black Pearl" linear inlays on it.

Then came the wenge Ten String Grand:

which ended up with staggered tape inlays because of the DBR tuning:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSJ-M2szEiA[/youtube]

An now I have a Grand Stick (rosewood) which I use for tuning experiments, so I don't want to have permanent inlays on it.

It's very hard to play new things on an instrument without inlays. Too many choices, and too many easy mistakes. But it can look cool ;)

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I swear i had to count the frets 'cause it looked shorter. optical illusion. as fer the staggered markers on the DBR, i just got used to the offset, the classic tuning never made sense to me, and i wound up w/ half-bari (octaves in the center) on my Ironwood, and a half-step detuned, so they're pitched the same. but i was a bass player, so WTF do i know.. it really DOES look cool...

Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

greg wrote:
It's very hard to play new things on an instrument without inlays. Too many choices, and too many easy mistakes. But it can look cool ;)

I use the C-dots, so I've never look at the inlays anyway... High contrast linear inlays are good for visibility but IMHO they spoil the look of the instrument. In my case, a padauk with black hardware, I would prefer no inlays or black linear inlays from a purely aesthetic perspective. If really needed I might add side markers later. Anyway this is no show stopper for me, and I will compromise on the looks for an earlier availability.
The fret rails are so high that my fingers do not touch the wood, so any sticker remains in place.

Anyway I will wait for confirmation from S.E, it will take a little bit longer than usual since they are busy with NAMM...

Cheers, Daniel.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:54 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

AnDroiD wrote:
I swear i had to count the frets 'cause it looked shorter. optical illusion.

I assume you mean Greg's wenge 10 grand. It does look shorter in the pic due to it being slightly wider than a normal ten. In person, it's a beast. I had the opportunity to play it, well I should air quote the "play" part. Incredible, incredible instrument.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:11 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

RichSnyder wrote:
AnDroiD wrote:

I assume you mean Greg's wenge 10 grand. It does look shorter in the pic due to it being slightly wider than a normal ten. In person, it's a beast. I had the opportunity to play it, well I should air quote the "play" part. Incredible, incredible instrument.

Hi Rich.
What was your quick first impression of the 10 Grand? Anything you didn't like about it?
Thanks!

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:17 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I'm a rock & roll guy so I vote for:

Stephen Perkins - Jane's Addiction

or....

Jean-Paul Gaster - Clutch

Two of my all time favorites!

Randy

edit: GAHH! Wrong thread!

Last edited by randy on Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

flynlion wrote:
RichSnyder wrote:
AnDroiD wrote:

Hi Rich.
What was your quick first impression of the 10 Grand? Anything you didn't like about it?
Thanks!

I'm not a Stick player, but of the few Sticks I've tried I thought it was by far the best. I really liked the extra string spacing, loved the wood and the PASV pickups are great.

Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:39 pm