It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:54 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
 New Stick details revealed at Southern California Seminar 
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: New Stick details revealed at Southern California Semina
Lee Vatip wrote:
I have two half fretless Sticks and the bass sides are covered with, I believe, stainless steel but might be aluminum. Anyway, tapping the string against metal gives an incredible warm yet articulate sound. This should be a cool offering
Yes, really cool! I'm thinking about five fretless melody strings and five fretted bass strings. Could be nice with a tuning that sets the melody strings a little lower than classic. Right now I tried here to tap one one of my fretless guitars with my right hand and it shouldn't be too difficult to do that on a Stick while fretting chords and bass with the right hand. I'm waiting for an electric harp guitar now where you typically pluck the harp strings with the right hand while tapping fretless with the left hand; the precise opposite to such a fretless melody side Stick ;-)

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:11 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Anything is possible with cad/cam. There are quite a few examples on youtube but I thought this one was the best.

Enjoy,
Kev

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytFQMEeq3Bk[/youtube]

Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:16 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

I hope that they decide to produce a 12 string version. Had 10 string instruments for a while but switched to 12's and not looking to go back.

The new instrument looks good though!

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:25 am
Contributor
Contributor

[quote="kevin-c"]Anything is possible with cad/cam. There are quite a few examples on youtube but I thought this one was the best.

Kev - cool graphics, but I can't get the music to play :-)

Max

Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:56 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

I've seen the Venus de Milo with no arms, but now we have an even hotter "Venus" but with no head. That's where I draw the line - no machine cut women for me, but if it must be, then there should be a face. Now back to the "Railboard".

The "Grand" version will of course come later, as well as the short guitar scale Stick models in aluminum. So as not to crash hard with any new innovation (and there are lots here), I like to ease into things, and ten strings seems best for that.

All the exotic hardwood and bamboo Stick models will continue in production as usual. We have a new CNC machining run underway and a huge stash of laminated hardwood and bamboo "blanks" (2x4s).

The bolt-on headstock will likely be machine cut from the same aluminum and hard anodized the same color as the one-piece neck, or in some cases black. I'm also waiting on a quote for an injection molding tool, possibly to make the headstock out of glass filled polycarbonate.

Great to hear all the comments on this thread from friends and supporters. This new model seems to be taking off already, so I'd better finish it up. Best, Emmett.

PS: Another wet and cloudy day on my deck. The deck of the Railboard will have to wait for its photo exposure (but thanks again Gene, for the first shots and your insightful words).

Wed Mar 28, 2012 2:34 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

BSharp wrote:
I've seen the Venus de Milo with no arms, but now we have an even hotter "Venus" but with no head. That's where I draw the line - no machine cut women for me, but if it must be, then there should be a face. Now back to the "Railboard".

The "Grand" version will of course come later, as well as the short guitar scale Stick models in aluminum. So as not to crash hard with any new innovation (and there are lots here), I like to ease into things, and ten strings seems best for that.

All the exotic hardwood and bamboo Stick models will continue in production as usual. We have a new CNC machining run underway and a huge stash of laminated hardwood and bamboo "blanks" (2x4s).

The bolt-on headstock will likely be machine cut from the same aluminum and hard anodized the same color as the one-piece neck, or in some cases black. I'm also waiting on a quote for an injection molding tool, possibly to make the headstock out of glass filled polycarbonate.

Great to hear all the comments on this thread from friends and supporters. This new model seems to be taking off already, so I'd better finish it up. Best, Emmett.

PS: Another wet and cloudy day on my deck. The deck of the Railboard will have to wait for its photo exposure (but thanks again Gene, for the first shots and your insightful words).

Good news about the different models of Railboards and the fact that the hardwood Sticks will still be available (I love the look and feel of wood).
I imagine that a transparent or translucent polycarbonate headstock would look pretty cool :p
Congratulations for this new model Emmet!

Cheers, Daniel.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:18 pm
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

BSharp wrote:

That's awesome! I eagerly await it.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:33 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Nice. looking forward to seeing the final design. Matte black powder coat, polished fret tips, and linear wood inlays for me!

Here is a hint of what Aluminum sounds like...
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVVB2OfbBUY[/youtube]

Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:41 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Contributor
Contributor

I was thinking of starting my son off on guitar before seeing this post. I think we are going to be picking up a couple of these new Sticks now.

I like the simplified looking Villex Block .I would be interested in different tonal options as opposed to two pickups per side. What does the other knob do now that it is not controlling pickup switching ?

I won't be letting go of my XBL,but this new one is just too cool ,I love new tech.

BassLabs 10 string #5050
PASV4
baritone melody
Mesa Walk About bass amp
Mesa TA-15 amp

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:46 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
So cool to witness a new phase of Stickiness...! Reminds me of when I first got my Stick.

Great timing for new Stick students.

Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:55 pm
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 92 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next