It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:28 am

The Right Brain, The Left Brain and Everything Inbetween 
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post The Right Brain, The Left Brain and Everything Inbetween
Just an update for those of you that care to even remain informed, I now have all the books, DVD's and CD's that I will need in order to properly learn the Stick. I have been fortunate to meet a semi-kind-of-sort-of-but-not-really-local Stick player within an hour drive from me and we met up and he helped me understand some things. But now it begins... after watching countless hours of video on youtube, mentally dissecting everything Stick related and trying to get my left brain and my right brain angry enough at each other to divorce in order to get the independent hands thing going.... it is time.

I have actually not cracked open a book yet but I have just been playing around with the instrument getting a feel for it. Last night before bed I started to actually make a little music... MUSIC I SAY! The concepts and everything I have seen and read magically filtered through my hands and I was playing chords for the first time on the Stick. OK, I know for you long time players you are likely yawning at this but it was a magical moment for me. My brain opened up to what I was doing and I had an irrepressible smile on my face as I fell asleep.

I might actually begin to video document my progress and post it to Youtube at some point... I have to find my stupid camera...

Thanks for all the encouragement from everyone here! I cannot thank everyone enough for how kind they have been to me. This community is unlike any other I have been involved in... people actually helping other people and in an artistic venue... wow.

I will stop writing now. Off to run some errands and then to practice! :D

Charles Hettinger - New Stick Player in Allentown, PA

Fri Sep 07, 2012 8:01 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: The Right Brain, The Left Brain and Everything Inbetween
BSharp here. Many thanks FClef. I enjoyed both points you made with colorful words:

- "The moment", when it all first jells in your two hands and one mind.

- The exceptional altruism of this group as a forum. It amazes me as well.

Fri Sep 07, 2012 10:46 am
Contributor
Contributor

Congrats! I've been kinda documenting my progress as well, which has been rather poor, but oh well I expect that at some point there will be some "jump" in my abilities as a stickist (My left pinky went from almost useless to acceptably agile from one week to the next).

It is truly inspiring to just put your fingers on the board and listen to the music that comes out. It's a very expressive instrument, I know I just need to get a lot of stuff into muscle memory so that I can just get into the music.

Soon, I hope. Best of luck with your learning process!

Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:34 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Congratulations on the break through. That is definitely a big deal and I would venture to say that even the most experienced Stick players on this forum still remember the moment that happened for them.

I don't live very close(Erie, PA) but also not that far. There are several Stickists in Pittsburgh including Dave Brosky who has been influential to how I think about the instrument. Anyway, it is good to have another Stick player in PA. We may soon catch up to California and New York!

Looking forward to further reports on your journey,

Mike

Sat Sep 08, 2012 5:22 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Exciting reading this post. Stoked for you on your journey and looking forward to your progress as well.

I think you are wise to immerse yourself in a variety of styles and techniques as each Stickist has their own vision of what the instrument holds for them. You know what it sounds like, even before you plug in.

If you have a clear vision of what that is early in your studies, you will continue to be successful in however you approach the instrument. I wish that I had had a more clear vision early on in my studies, nonetheless, I have found my path and am grinning broadly and ever bounding towards it.

Cheers to your new found passion!
-Gene

Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Have fun with it FClef! :D

[color=#0000CC]http://www.ambientstickist.com

Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:13 pm

Greetings,

Congratulations on jumping in! I'm only about an hour away as well and, while I'm certainly not the most famous, accomplished, or well-known player, I'd certainly be happy to help as well. (Just send me a PM if you ever want to chat or come over.)

Cheers and best wishes,

Alan

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:17 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

If anyone within a short drive is interested (and you should be), there will be two Stick players performing in Long Beach, NY at LBJF.
Steve and Bob play on consecutive days 9/22 and 9/23 and perhaps together a bit
www.longbeachjazzfest.com

Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:50 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

I've always found that The Stick is a very intuitive instrument, especially if you take it on its own terms, rather than trying to super-impose a guitar or bass identity onto it.

Glad it's speaking to you so clearly, FClef

Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 am
Profile My Photo Gallery