It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:41 am

Session 10.1.2012 

Post Session 10.1.2012
Image So this is Lexi, I will see .... well I won't see her tomorrow. Funny - school day for her, session day for me.., however I'll be with the producer in the studio. She lives up in Big Bear, Ca area and spent the weekend I'm sure down here in the Los Angeles area to watch the sessions develop and meet Gregg Bissonette as he is in all day Sunday to track.

This is the session that the NS/Stick is specifically asked for. Got the new strings, well yes I got them, I have procrastinated in putting them on. One nice thing about electric bass FOUR strings, 15 min. there done and changed. NS different story.. I'll get to it.

Session is at 10:am (I was asked what time I wanted to come in - I texted back I'm 'coherent by 10:am) soooo it got slated for then. When that happens that early I figure it is going to be a longer day, I believe there are 5 songs to get through.

I tell ya, it's gonna be great. I look forward already to the next five, and a completed CD and then we'll watch her on television of one of her concerts. She has a lot of believers in her star power. For me... I have been doin' this a long time, I go day to day and enjoy the ride. It will be a great session. I've played for artist that are on top and also starting up, it's a nice circle of music to be a part of.

"Roller coaster ride goin' up, get ready to raise your hands and scream with glee as she whirls around the tracks!"
/Don

Sun Sep 30, 2012 11:15 am

Post Re: Session 10.1.2012
Excellent, the session went stellar. Funny thing is though ... the NS/Stick was specifically asked for but the 5 string Precision bass got used. HOWEVER Once a Stickist always a Stickist. There were some passages and lines that are just impossible on bass unless...... you know how to tap well enough (like us Sticksters) to keep the sound consistent, driving and smooth when transitioning back and forth from standard pluck to Tap and back again.

Bass sounds get decided several ways by producers and in this case it is a matter of what instruments are already laid down and what tone flatters the vocal and drum kit. The NS always delivers the deep and rich high pro glow bass sounds. In this case a more 'loose' and youth oriented sound was most flattering to the vocal. The classic P bass is most associated with that description. Personally I'll make anything work but I'm hired to play not foresee the whole project down the road which is an arduous task and a producers job. "Me" I'm just happy to deliver.

It takes a lot more finger muscle and finesse to make my basses tap and pluck evenly. Nothing I would want to do for a whole song but you pick your sweet moments. You know you hit it when the producer turns to you and says, "Wow I didn't see that comin'" then laughs appreciatively. 10ths are easy to accomplish on bass. The 10th (or 3rd octave up) is a very melodious interval and says a lot... the deluxe trick is to use it as a counter melody line to the next chord, in this case my bass notes moved lower and my melody (10th) moved up higher. To big of a finger stretch to me so to make this sound smooth and seamless I opt for two hand tapping then anchor the line at the end of the phrase with a good deep plucked note

As Stickist's we hear and think beyond where a hand can stretch. It really sweetens the bass lines to do so.

Magic on any instrument, expected on NS/Stick... out of left field on bass. Great ear candy and bonus "Cool" points when pulled off.

Tip: When tapping to plucking, keep a surface area of either hand available to 'mute' open strings. The 'resonating' unwanted notes add rumble and unclarity to the line. Your 'minds ear' will sense it and lay your hand down automatically (over time). I would rather mute open strings with my hand rather than use the 'damper' on my NS so that I always have the open string options available. On my basses... no mute device so the 'open available" mute hand works wonders.

Lol, the next session will probably request bass then end up with the NS. When going into a studio date, take choices for the producer, it makes a difference and the session goes faster when you have the tone they want. (Start with the NS... ;-).
Take care,/Don

Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:32 pm
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

DonSchiff wrote:
'The 10th (or 3rd octave up) is a very melodious interval and says a lot... the deluxe trick is to use it as a counter melody line to the next chord, in this case my bass notes moved lower and my melody (10th) moved up higher.

Isn't this the trick Herbie Flowers used in "walk on the wild side" where upright bass goes deep and electric bass fiddles higher with the 10th?

Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:20 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Olivier I believe you are correct sir......

cheers,
kev

Tue Oct 02, 2012 2:08 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery