It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:58 pm

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next
 Rig Building: Does Gig Potential Matter? 
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Rig Building: Does Gig Potential Matter?
AndyJPro wrote:
Even electrons get tired!

Well...I guess that's O.K. then...as long as they still sound good. ;)

http://www.facebook.com/qualitytimejazz

Fri May 03, 2013 10:17 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Play MAS
In sharp contrast to the "gig potential" concept which has been the focus of this discussion, I have been daydreaming of building a modular analog synthesizer...and playing a Stick through it (possibly GK-3 controlled, but definitely with the Stick itself as a wave generator).

Fri May 03, 2013 11:23 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

zaubertuba wrote:
Sorry for the threadjack, but Per, really?! Tubes have latency? :?
Yes. The input signal needs a few extra milliseconds before speaker cones start moving, if comparing to a solid state based amp like for example the legendary Gallien Krueger 250 ML.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sat May 04, 2013 1:35 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Post Re: Play MAS
Robstafarian wrote:
In sharp contrast to the "gig potential" concept which has been the focus of this discussion, I have been daydreaming of building a modular analog synthesizer...and playing a Stick through it (possibly GK-3 controlled, but definitely with the Stick itself as a wave generator).

I'm also planning on doing this - using modulars, not building them. There are plenty of fun filters, frequency shifters, waveshapers, etc to play with. Hoping to get to it this summer.

Sat May 04, 2013 6:51 am
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Per Boysen wrote:
Yes. The input signal needs a few extra milliseconds before speaker cones start moving...

Don't want to clutter up the OP's thread further so let's move this dialogue to here:

http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=6302

Sat May 04, 2013 10:52 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Play MAS
Claire wrote:
I'm also planning on doing this - using modulars, not building them.

Fair enough, I would have said "assembling" rather than "building" if writing at a saner time of day.

I am looking forward to a USB/MIDI/CV/Gate quadraphonic module due to be released this Summer by Doepfer (A-190-5). I plan to assemble an inordinately simple synthesizer with four note polyphony, expanding it to eight note polyphony (with a second such module) before adding more signal processing/generation functionality.

Is anyone else here reminded of Spalding Gray's Monster in a Box?

Sat May 04, 2013 2:40 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Yet Another Brainstorm
I hope all of my, well, blogging in this thread inspires people to come up with new ideas for their Stick. Let me recap a bit before unveiling my new idea.

Whereas I was probably born for modular analog synthesis, I will not be getting into it any time soon. That entire subject is just too good of a distraction from my wait for my Stick. In fact, it is too good of a distraction from my Stick as a whole. I am looking forward to becoming a Stickist, lest I forget. Besides, pretty much any individual synthesizer module costs the same as an effects pedal. If I ran my Stick through that many pedals, I would pretty much have a synthesizer "pad" anyway.

So, the idea. I have suddenly realized that I have a shortcut to a versatile tube preamp for my melody side, as well as providing both sides with flexible tube power (50, 22, or 7 watts). I am, no doubt, I'm showing my electric guitar roots here. The signal routing would be something like this:

Melody Side > Carvin V3M preamp > V3M Effects Send > Rane AP-13 Expand In > AP-13 Main Output > V3M Effects Return > V3M Output > Greenboy-designed Fearless Speaker

Bass Side > Rane AP-13 Piezo Input > AP-13 Main Out > Carvin V3M Effects Return > V3M Output > Greenboy-designed Fearless Speaker

This would provide stereo processing of the Stick into a mono output. The V3M's channel volume and the AP-13's output level would control of the mix of the melody side to the bass side, respectively. I would have the option of expanding to two speaker enclosures for medium-sized solo gigs, without PA support, in case the need arises (hope, hope, hope).

What do you think? Is this brilliant, or just tube snobbery?

Sun May 19, 2013 2:42 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Well, it certainly looks cool. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with the AP-13 in this setup?

Mon May 20, 2013 4:22 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

zaubertuba wrote:
Well, it certainly looks cool. What exactly are you hoping to accomplish with the AP-13 in this setup?

It will be both the bass side preamp and a summing mixer.

Mon May 20, 2013 4:57 pm
Resident Contributor
Resident Contributor

Robstafarian wrote:
It will be both the bass side preamp and a summing mixer.

O.K., makes sense then. As long as you can keep track of what your signal path is doing this config. will leave you with a lot of flexibility. You'll be able to insert gain effects/compressors (often pedals, but not always) in the pre-gain path of the melody side and other rack effects before the effects return of the V3M.

I'm actually a little jealous of the tube power amp part. :evil:

Glad I didn't see this idea back when I was putting my rig together, or I might have tried something like it myself. Of course, then I wouldn't have been able to afford my Lexicon MFX unit. ;)

Thu May 23, 2013 1:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 224 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 23  Next