It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:34 am

Building Phase Dance - Part 3 
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Building Phase Dance - Part 3
Hi, everyone.

Part 3 is up. I think I'm making progress. Am I?

http://ericjknapp.com/blog/2013/09/14/building-phase-dance-part-3/

Thanks,

-Eric

Rosewood SG12 #5966, Mirrored 4ths
Twitter: @ejknapp
http://ericjknapp.com

Sat Sep 14, 2013 8:07 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Post Re: Building Phase Dance - Part 3
Hi Eric,
Nice work, I have been enjoying the fast progress and for sure the song is starting to gel.

Recently at the FHA seminar Greg accused me of being a "reverb whore" :twisted:
Yes he really said that and I took it as a supreme compliment :ugeek:. Thanks Greg 8-)...

Perhaps one of the most famous "reverb whore's" in the world is, you guessed it; PM.

His guitar solos are a wash in the stuff and that is part of the reason why the notes
flow so well. Delay is in the mix too.

So i am just saying a little reverb will make the movement of the progression
a little more smooth.

And, since you have added the drum track why not loop the whole thing and start working
on the spicy part....

`J`

http://jrjwhatifthepaintingshadsongs.tumblr.com/

Last edited by JRJ on Sun Sep 15, 2013 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 11:48 am
Site Donor
Site Donor

'J'
Reverb Whore.

Awesome.

I want to be a Reverb Whore.

Now that is an accolade.

Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:12 pm
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

nice job Eric! I seem to have missed the posting of the first two parts, but it sounds like it is coming along beautifully. I play(or try to play :) ) music that sounds like this from time to time. I think the hardest part is keeping the space between the notes the right length each time. Especially at the end of each "chord" on the bass side. You do a little run that leads back to the root note of the chord or the next chord, depending on where you are headed. Those have to be placed just right in relation to what you are doing on the melody side to sound smooth and professional, and you are pulling that off nicely here. Congratulations!

Mike

Sun Sep 15, 2013 12:36 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

JRJ wrote:
Hi Eric,
Nice work, I have been enjoying the fast progress and for sure the song is starting to gel.

Thanks, I guess progress never seems as fast to yourself as it might to others. That's encouraging.

JRJ wrote:
Recently at the FHA seminar Greg accused me of being a "reverb whore" :twisted:
Yes he really said that and I took it as a supreme compliment :ugeek:. Thanks Greg 8-)...

Perhaps one of the most famous "reverb whore's" in the world is, you guessed it; PM.

His guitar solos are a wash in the stuff and that is part of the reason why the notes
flow so well. Delay is in the mix tool.

So i am just saying a little reverb will make the movement of the progression
a little more smooth.

Ha! I didn't use what I call my PM patch with all the reverb so you all could hear the real progress. I'll be sure to use it more in the future.

JRJ wrote:
And, since you have added the drum track why not loop the whole thing and start working
on the spicy part....

`J`

That's next. I'm on it.

-Eric

Sun Sep 15, 2013 1:57 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

mike kemp wrote:
nice job Eric! I seem to have missed the posting of the first two parts, but it sounds like it is coming along beautifully.

Thanks, Mike. Here's the first post. I even called you out in it as the reason I was doing them. :)

http://www.stickist.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6722

mike kemp wrote:
I play(or try to play :) ) music that sounds like this from time to time. I think the hardest part is keeping the space between the notes the right length each time. Especially at the end of each "chord" on the bass side. You do a little run that leads back to the root note of the chord or the next chord, depending on where you are headed. Those have to be placed just right in relation to what you are doing on the melody side to sound smooth and professional, and you are pulling that off nicely here. Congratulations!

Mike

Wow, thanks again. It was great meeting you at Interlochen and your playing was an inspiration.

-Eric

Sun Sep 15, 2013 2:04 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Reverb Whores, unite...!!??

Hey Eric, How's It.?!

Seeing as you asked so honestly and bravely, can I offer you my two cents?

Firstly you've presented this posted very well it's exciting. If I had to be picky I'd say pay special attention to your groove and rhythmic accuracy. To be harsh, it sounded like your were in a different tempo to your backing drum part at the end of the vid.

You own rhythm seemed pretty good so you may have been conceiving the tempo faster than you were practicing it....?? Easy for a drummer to say, anyhoo..

Solution... How well can you sing the riff and make it sound strong, easy and clear. Like Bill Cosby. Record yourself singing it see how it feels, contextualise your funkiness.....

OR. Count it out legit 1 2 + (3) + (4) + (1) + (2) + (3) +.....

Most of all thanks for bringing our attention to this great track and artist..

I'm gonna try it right now, just so I don't look like a know-it-all. :lol:

Luv

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sun Sep 15, 2013 4:44 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Stickrad wrote:
Reverb Whores, unite...!!??

Hey Eric, How's It.?!

I'm having a great time, how about you?

Stickrad wrote:
Seeing as you asked so honestly and bravely, can I offer you my two cents?

I've decided it's not brave to ask you serious musicians for advice. It's the only way I'm going to get better. I love playing music and I want to get better.

Stickrad wrote:
Firstly you've presented this posted very well it's exciting. If I had to be picky I'd say pay special attention to your groove and rhythmic accuracy. To be harsh, it sounded like your were in a different tempo to your backing drum part at the end of the vid.

Drummers! I can't fool any of you. This is exactly where my biggest weakness is. My video is at 140bpm and Pat plays it at 200. I hear it faster but can't play it that fast. I'm playing this every day with a metronome and the drum track trying to get it into my soul. I don't know any other way.

Stickrad wrote:
You own rhythm seemed pretty good so you may have been conceiving the tempo faster than you were practicing it....?? Easy for a drummer to say, anyhoo..

(Note to 14-year-old self: Play drums!) My 14yo daughter plays drums. She also plays viola and has incredible rhythm for a string player. She got into the local youth orchestra after her first audition. Kids...

Stickrad wrote:
Solution... How well can you sing the riff and make it sound strong, easy and clear. Like Bill Cosby. Record yourself singing it see how it feels, contextualise your funkiness.....

OR. Count it out legit 1 2 + (3) + (4) + (1) + (2) + (3) +.....

This is really good, I'm going to try it. (I won't post me singing, though. Ever.)

Stickrad wrote:
Most of all thanks for bringing our attention to this great track and artist..

I'm gonna try it right now, just so I don't look like a know-it-all. :lol:

Luv

Many thanks, I really appreciate your input and time. I'm going to keep working on this tune. The next part I'm working on is the melody.

-Eric

Sun Sep 15, 2013 5:12 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Eric..!!

Thanks for receiving that so graciously and enthusiastically.....~!

I'm just trying this now and yes, I totally get it... This groove wants to speed up like a bastard. :lol:

It seems like if you hold on to the pivot note (2nd finger) and jump off that easily it's a little easier.. This is a significant challenge, more so than it first looks.

Bravo Sir..!

P.S. The thing about metronomes and internalising time.., just remember it serves as reminder to your own internal clock. It won't give that to you, sounds obvious I know and your probably not that far gone, but many people who don't have a strong rhythm background, perhaps unconsciously make that assumption.

Oh.!!! Try this:
Ta ki ta Ta ki ta ta Ta ki ta ki ta Ta ki ti ta.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Nk5AKE1TKY[/youtube]
Hope that helps.

Stickist regards.

https://www.facebook.com/stickradmusic/
https://www.facebook.com/southernstickevents/

Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:51 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Been trying to play this song for about a half an hour now this morning and I can play the first part without too many mistakes(mostly in the bass side) at a much slower pace(78 bpm). The 5th in the bass is what is driving me bonkers at the moment. Such a subtle difference, yet when trying to put it together with the melody side it feels like the difference between apples and cacti!

I don't know where the original concept for the beat derives. I am getting more of a Bossa Nova vibe. Maybe it is the ride that brings it to mind.

@Stickrad- Your post was insightful. The "Ta-ki-ta" part reminded me of an instructional video by Benny Greb(The Language of Drumming). On it he includes performances from Pete Lockett and himself. During one in particular he and Pete are sitting in a beautiful landscape with mountains in the distance, Pete with his Tabla(n?) and Benny with only his snare and some bundle style sticks. At the onset of the performance they began with a sort of "conversation", talking to each other with these "Ta ki ta" sounds. Then they played what they were saying. Pretty neat!

Back @Eric- I enjoyed the song and the effort you put into it before, but now that I have actually tried it, I appreciate it even more. Thanks again for posting.

Mike

Mon Sep 16, 2013 7:33 am
Profile My Photo Gallery