It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

Does the NS/Stick body wood make a difference in sound? 
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Post Does the NS/Stick body wood make a difference in sound?
It has often been said that the wood of a Stick doesn't make any difference to the sound of the instrument. The NS/Stick, however, is different in construction and much more similar to a bass or guitar where the type of wood does effect the sound.

I'd guess that the wood does effect the sound. If it does, I wonder how obvious it is when tapping as there is so much less energy in a tapped string compared to a plucked string. Still ...

Has anyone done a comparison of similar NS/Stick with different body woods? What did you find?

Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:52 pm
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Post Re: Does the NS/Stick body wood make a difference in sound?
Well I dare anyone who says it does make a difference to define the wood just by ear.

#7159, Grand Railboard,Plum,
RMR tuning, MIDI melody.
Manufactured Dec. 2018

#2001,10 strings Shedua, MR tuning
Stickup, Fretrails
Manufactured March 2002

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqqNYL ... JdyVB5aBZQ

Sat Jul 04, 2015 11:32 pm
Site Donor
Site Donor

Boaz wrote:
Well I dare anyone who says it does make a difference to define the wood just by ear.

I can typically distinguish a Swamp Ash Stratocaster from an Alder Stratocaster, all other things being equal. Then again, I once identified an amp from an unlabeled sound clip.

Maybe my ears are magical; I will not know until I spend some quality time with Eric Johnson. ;)

Sun Jul 05, 2015 12:38 am
Artisan Contributor
Artisan Contributor

Boaz wrote:

Just because someone can't identify the type of wood by listening to it doesn't mean different woods don't sound different.

I am not asking for someone to listen and tell me what the wood is, but to tell me if they can hear a difference.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:59 am
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

I have three twelve stringed Sticks, two of the same model, and I can assure you that the wood has an impact on what the instrument sounds like. I even double-checked it "scientifically" by swapping the pickup houses between the Sticks and the different characters are definitely due to the wood.

Fractal Audio AxeFx-III, 2 x RCF NX-10 SMA, Apollo Twin USB

http://youtube.com/perboysen

Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:09 am
Profile My Photo Gallery
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Per Boysen wrote:
I have three twelve stringed Sticks, two of the same model, and I can assure you that the wood has an impact on what the instrument sounds like. I even double-checked it "scientifically" by swapping the pickup houses between the Sticks and the different characters are definitely due to the wood.
Hi Per,

The bamboo definitely had a slightly different sound than the wood laminates, but it's more rigid and has a completely different structure.

When it comes to comparing the various hardwood laminates, I think you'd be hard-pressed to hear a substantial difference. The only way to tell would be to set them up with the same strings (tuning, gauge and age) and exactly the same pickups.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 2:14 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Per ,

Once time ago you wrote that your wenge SG12 has a "marble tone". Can you clarify ?

or

Could you put screenshot a comparison of the EQ spectrum bandwidth of your both SG12 with these same strings ?

Does anyone else have the same 2 Stick of different wood that could compare of this method ?

I know that it's a half-measure that doesn't reflect the complete characterization of the band and sound time, but I prefer scientist than the poetry of words.

I have padouk Stick with stickup. I have grahite grand Stick with PAS-4, too. Taking into account the difference between the weight and scale of 10 and 12 string for me with new strings both unplugged sound alike. The differences begin when you connect both to the amplifier.

IMHO.

For me Stick sound determines the atack. He only a little depends on the wood.

10-String Deep Baritone Melody Padouk Stick #351 with XXL MIDI & Stickup
12-String Matched Reciprocal XG Grand Stick #5428 with dual MIDI & PASV-4
10-String Deep (-3 semitones) Standard Tarara Alto Stick #5689 with MIDI & Stickup

Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:28 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Elite Contributor
Elite Contributor

Keep in mind this thread started talking about NS Sticks not Sticks. Sticks are solid top to bottom where as the NS has an attached body. If you relate this difference to bass guitars, on a neck through bass guitar the body wood doesn't make a huge impact on tone however on a bolt on neck bass the body wood, body size, weight, etc makes a much bigger difference in tone. The NS has an attached body, it's not "neck through" instrument like a Stick so all things being the same I would think different body woods would make SOME difference in the over all tone.

http://www.rayrlmusic.com
http://www.myspace.com/raylavigne

Sun Jul 05, 2015 3:40 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

I agree that everything has an effect on the sound. I also agree that I'm expanded the post subject, but I'm curious about yours opinion. For me, Don Shiff tapping in a cardboard box will sounds as good as Don Shiff tapping in Ash/Walnut/Maple body NS Stick with Bamboo/Wenge neck. Music isn't in wood.

10-String Deep (-3 semitones) Standard Tarara Alto Stick #5689 with MIDI & Stickup

Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:25 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery
Site Donor
Site Donor

Ps . Do not take my opinions seriously. For many years I was a rock and roll musician, who was standing close to the drums cymbals, so the level of damage to my hearing in the high register is not to return :(.

Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:32 pm
Profile My Photo Gallery