It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 am

embedding videos on stickist.com 
Master Contributor
Master Contributor

Post Re: embedding videos on stickist.com
Visual subject matter is striking. Must be the aftermath of an ultimate naval war. Is this your fractal treatment of an existing painting, or was this imagery theme generated inside the fractal program? It's a living, moving work of art with austerity of structural form and endless colors (all within the range of battleship gray).

Piano is intense, improvised. One day I hope to hear The Stick spontaneously scoring your works, and because it's keyless, I'll be expecting Debussy-esque harmonic wandering, just for the drama and opening vistas.

What would you have to do to make your virtual drone fly smoothly?

Tue Mar 15, 2016 12:57 am
Multiple Donor
Multiple Donor

Post Re: embedding videos on stickist.com
Emmett! Among your many skills, count PR man as one of them: I love the way you talk about my stuff! I loved your comments describing this as a "living, moving work of art" and of course, the awesome things you say about my music!

Here's the post where I lay out the music and the video imagery. viewtopic.php?f=15&t=10804

BSharp wrote:
Visual subject matter is striking. Must be the aftermath of an ultimate naval war. Is this your fractal treatment of an existing painting, or was this imagery theme generated inside the fractal program? It's a living, moving work of art with austerity of structural form and endless colors (all within the range of battleship gray).

The basic fractal algorithm is by the Mandelbulber software creator, Krzysztof Marczak, and is called "Aexion." It produces a wide range of these type of shapes and I've selected and tweaked the shape until it looks interesting. The background, and the color palette, and the camera work are all mine as well.

The basic shape looked like the burnt-out remains of a huge battle, or just as you put it, the "ultimate naval war," and I tweaked it until it looked more and more like the theme I wanted, which was "Valhalla After Ragnarök." I made the "floor" look reflective until it looked like purple glass, or the Bifrost Bridge, and I tried to dial in shapes that looked like buildings and monuments burnt to the ground. There were other shapes that looked like mountain ranges, and then the big overview of the entire fractal shape shows that it looked just like the roots of a tree. All of those suggestions of imagery were tweaked until I got it looking as close as I could to this mental imagery:
Quote:
This is Valhalla of Asgard after the Jötunn (Fire Giant) Surtr has burned the world(s) and before everything restarted in a grand cycle of life with the sprouting of the World Tree Yggdrasil. This is Valhalla after the Fall, or Valhalla After Ragnarök. Across the Bifrost Bridge leading up to the burnt-out lands, fly through the ruins and the surrounding Asgardian mountains and then fly away from Asgard of the Nine Realms and exit to space, to see the roots of Yggdrasil, The World Tree.

I'm stealing Wagnerian themes of the Ring Cycle and Twilight of the Gods, and my piano song was written and recorded on Memorial Day 2014, and was supposed to be contemplative of the holiday and is called "Im Memoriam." A song about the holiday dedicated to our own warriors fallen in battle seemed a good fit for the aftermath of the War (and Destruction) of the Gods.

BSharp wrote:
Piano is intense, improvised. One day I hope to hear The Stick spontaneously scoring your works, and because it's keyless, I'll be expecting Debussy-esque harmonic wandering, just for the drama and opening vistas.
I've working hard on that! I've been first integrating Chapman Stick into my multi-instrumentalist one-man-band-ish stuff, like this one with keys, orchestra, percussion, and Chapman Stick on the bass, and Chapman Stick on the melody lead guitar side, to make "PainStickingly."

Now I'm working on Stick-only stuff, and I'm adding Stickbass to my latest "Chromatic Jack," that will be (I'm shooting for) the most lyrical and melodic bass I've ever attempted with ANY instrument. My bass skills on Stick after 6 months already surpass my skills on piano (30 years +) with basslines.

So, you'll see Stick-only compositions soon enough!
BSharp wrote:
What would you have to do to make your virtual drone fly smoothly?

I'm working on Valhalla After Ragnarök, part II. Same scene, but trying some different camera work. Even the test videos at lower quality take days to make, so I needed to plan things out a little more carefully, and live with a few more "mistakes" in camera work or scene changing than I would have liked. Part 2 should be even better and will have Chapman Stick on bass with piano and percussion, as "Chromatic Jack."

Cheers, Emmett! Thanks!

Rosewood 10-string, #5989, M4s
Sapphire Railboard, #6763, MR
Wenge-on-Wenge NS/Stick, #170130, Bass 4ths
http://soundcloud.com/stephen-sink-1
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-RDlN ... Ez0hN49_Qg

Tue Mar 15, 2016 4:28 am
Profile My Photo Gallery